PDA

View Full Version : I do babysitting in my Home,but I am not a license.

KAIYA
09-27-2012, 06:45 PM
I do babysitting here in my Home and I am not a license,I have 2 casual parents that ask me to babysit their child once a week or twice a month for only few hours and paid me cash,this 1 mom I babysat her child 4 days a week ,Now I do not give receipt but she give me one every time she pay a cheque. In the receipt says"receive from MOM name " THE SUM OF the "amount " she paid and the next line my NAME on it -BABYSITTING,and in the bottom line the mom sign on it...Do I have to do income tax with this receipt? I did not give her a SIN # and she never ask.My question is "what is this gonna do with me? if she used this receipt for her tax?"I am new here in Canada and landing immigrant ,I am doing babysitting while am stay at home mom,most likely is to have a playmate with my kids...

Is Anyone can help me to discuss regarding this receipt? Thanx A lot!

cfred
09-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Hi, welcome to Canada!

If she's issuing you a receipt, it sounds to me like she intends to write it off (use for tax purposes)....though as a daycare provider, usually we would give her a receipt. As a landed immigrant, are you allowed to work in Canada yet or is there a process to it? I'm unfamiliar with immigration law. If you cannot work here legally yet, you really need to have a discussion with this mother about it. Perhaps someone else on here has more insight into that side of things. Otherwise, maybe you should talk to someone at immigration?

You don't need to be licensed to run a home daycare here. I've been in business for ages and have never bothered with it. I think your big issue is whether or not you're able to earn an income here legally. If you are allowed to work here, the receipt is fine. She will use it to 'write off' her childcare expense to lower her tax payment. On your side, you will have to claim your income with the Canada Revenue Agency and income tax on it. However, keep all your receipts from household expenses as you can write a large portion of them off and lower your own taxes. I have an accountant do mine, just to make sure it's all legal. Again, I'm not an expert on either immigration law or taxes, so I think you'd be wise to talk to people in those fields of expertise to find out for sure.

If you cannot work here legally yet, either she has to be willing to bring her kids and pay you cash without a receipt OR maybe stop watching her kids. With something regular and long term, I'd be very careful about not claiming the income. Lots of people do that, but it certainly wouldn't be good to get caught.

KAIYA
10-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Thanx for your reply,I am Permanent Residence here in Canada (when I land here ) and Yes I am legally can work anywhere ,I just dont understand her receipt style though as a stay at home mom ,I am only helping her to watch her child while she work at night shift..and so I guess I have to keep the receipt and claim my income tax eh.

treeholm
10-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Whether or not you are licensed has no impact on your obligation to declare your income. She would be foolish NOT to declare her child care expenses as it will help her reduce her taxable income, so you also need to declare that income. You would be wise to consult an accountant to find out what expenses you can legally deduct from your income; this will help you reduce your taxable income.

KAIYA
10-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Great,Thank you so much...this explanation help me a lot!