PDA

View Full Version : Need tips to find kids!

mlle.coccinelle
10-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Hi ladies,

I've been open for 2 months now... and i'm having such a hard time finding kids! I currently have 1 part time and 2 drop in girls... But i'm afraid that if I dont find 1 full time soon i will have to find a part time evening job ( and I seriously dont want to do that!!)

I've been putting ads on kijiji, here, on a local facebook group and putting flyers there and there but its not really working. How do you advertise your dayhome/care

Thx!

Play and Learn
10-03-2012, 11:13 AM
You're doing the right advertising. Finding children is very hard in this industry. Don't expect to be full right away! In 2.5 years of providing care in my home, I've only been full for the past year.

I believe there is a bit of a 'lull' in Ontario this Fall. Last summer I had a ton of inquiries and even had a waiting list. This summer/fall - nothing!

Good luck!

cfred
10-03-2012, 11:58 AM
There's also www.canadachildcared irectory.com. Check your local online options too. Sometimes there are local online advertising sites. Also, take a flyer into your local schools. In addition, something I've found very helpful, is having a proper website done up. You can link to it right from these daycare sites. I've just moved and am starting from the bottom, but had managed to stay full, or nearly full for many years in my old location. Since setting up my website a few weeks ago, I've had 8 interviews with one signing, so it does help with exposure, professional appearance, etc. Most of my interviews commented on the website and that no one else had one. Also, if you can get some testimonials from watching kids in the past in some capacity, that really helps as well. It just gives you a leg up over other providers as not many have testimonials....at least my interviews were impressed. Be sure to copy your testimonials to store in a file. When you're full and remove your openings from this site, your testimonials will vanish. I've also snagged a client or 2 just by being out and about with the daycare kids and striking up conversation. It's a good idea to have cheap business cards done up for these instances as, of course, you never have a pen when you need one :) But the top of the list is absolutely the website. If you know someone who knows how to do it properly, he/she might also know little tricks so yours comes up first in a google search. Definitely look into that.

Good luck!

Inspired by Reggio
10-03-2012, 12:59 PM
I agree being 'new' is always a challenge for sure to get those first ones ~ you have to overcome the newbie stereotypes created by others who've opened up shop only to close a few months later on clients who do take a chance :(

Word of mouth advertizing is the BEST form of advertizing ... so one thing I found really helpful when I was new and still today is to have an active presence in the community as a provider ... does your community have local mom playgroups you can attend, library programs and other things where mamas on mat leave might 'congregate' that you can take your small crew to either on the bus, walking or if you have transportation option with your vehicle in order to network with these people who will shortly be looking for care or might know someone looking for care?

mlle.coccinelle
10-03-2012, 01:31 PM
does your community have local mom playgroups you can attend, library programs and other things where mamas on mat leave might 'congregate' that you can take your small crew to either on the bus, walking or if you have transportation option with your vehicle in order to network with these people who will shortly be looking for care or might know someone looking for care?

There is a playgroup at 15 minutes walk of where I live, but I missed the sign up week because I didn't know at that time and now they are full ( but trust me I wont miss it again! ;) )

cfred
10-03-2012, 02:32 PM
You can try play centres at malls. However, it's a bit hit and miss. My first time, it was all kids with their nannies, grandparents and, of course, home daycare providers. My next time was a little better, but alas, no business cards. Reggios idea is a great one!

mlle.coccinelle
10-04-2012, 11:13 AM
play centers at malls is a great idea! i will seriously do it!

Momof4
10-08-2012, 03:24 PM
You are advertising on this daycarebear site aren't you? I send my ads to friends to be posted in really large companies & hospital internal messaging systems so that I reach thousands of people. Lots of people know somebody who is returning from a mat leave soon and searching for daycare. Make sure you tell all your friends and family to spread the word for you because personal recommendations are worth a lot. I wish you luck and don't get discouraged. My first year was total hell on earth until I got a good client base going and now they recommend me to all their friends and co-workers.

mlle.coccinelle
10-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Yeah, i finally filled my last spot today! I have 1 full time, 1 part time and 2 drop in ( once a week) I think that am good for now. I don't want to be overcrowded and Im soooo tired with the pregnancy! I think its enough for now ;)

Momof4
10-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Congratulations!