PDA

View Full Version : Crayon: How do clean marks off

Dreamalittledream
10-05-2012, 11:46 AM
I have a little one who likes to color everything but what she's supposed to! Suggestions how to get it off carpet & a plastic table top? Thanks much:)

gcj
10-05-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure about carpets, but for plastic table tops and almost anything else it's GooGone. That yellow stuff that takes off sticky price tags. You can get it at a hardware type store or even Dollarama.

Inspired by Reggio
10-05-2012, 12:05 PM
I LOVE my enjo clothes they work magic on just about any surface and no chemicals!

michellesmunchkins
10-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Mr. Clean magic eraser

Inspired by Reggio
10-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Mr. Clean magic eraser

This is not meant as an attack but just to share information ~ when I worked in centre care I was the Health and Safety person for ... I had to research and keep all the Material Safety Data sheets up to date and on file for any product staff were exposed to!

Have you ever read the Material Data Safety sheet for these :eek: I stopped using them after reading them as well as more research into severe chemical burns children who've gotten access to them or who've played on surfaces cleaned using them had :(

The MDS sheet says skin reactions are 'moderate' but the images online if you google are NASTY!!!! Not to mention that these things contain formaldehyde a chemical linked to causing cancer and cyanide too boot :(

http://www.pgpro.ca/Portals/0/Documents/msds/MrClean%20Magic%20Er aser%20Ap%202010%20e ng.pdf

Potential Health Hazards (Acute and Chronic): (See Section 11 for more information)
Ingestion: Blockage of the gastrointestinal tract may occur if swallowed. Do not ingest.
Eye Contact: Irritating to eyes.
Skin Contact: Moderately irritating to the skin. Prolonged / repeated contact may result in skin
sensitization.
Inhalation: Ensure adequate ventilation.

Hazardous Decomposition Products: Oxides of carbon, oxides of sulfur, aromatic compounds,
formaldehyde, hydrogen cyanide.

IMO scary what is actually IN these things ~ personally would never use one knowing what I know now specially anywhere a child plays or explores considering the safety precautions those 'making them' have to wear in order to handle the products that go into these that you than see being used barehanded and on surfaces where you eat and bath when they promote them in their commercials .... seriously if it is safe for YOU to use in this manner than why are employees being made to wear ventilators and industrial gloves when handling them :(

Crayola kiddies
10-05-2012, 12:37 PM
I used the norwex cleaning pad ..... A chemical free version of the "mr clean magic eraser" .... I use all most no chemicals in my house .... Norwex has amazing products .... I am a independent consultant and the products are truly amazing !

Dreamalittledream
10-05-2012, 12:41 PM
I'm not sure about carpets, but for plastic table tops and almost anything else it's GooGone. That yellow stuff that takes off sticky price tags. You can get it at a hardware type store or even Dollarama.

Yay!!! I actually had some & it worked perfectly...plus made the slide extra fast for the kids (she had colored the slide too! Thank you so much!

Crayola kiddies
10-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Try putting her in a booster seat at the table with the crayons and paper and that way she can't wander around and when she's done put them up

Bugaboo
10-05-2012, 12:58 PM
I used Mr Clean Magic Erasers too. All cleaning products are dangerous thats why they are in a locked cabinet inside a locked room at my house. They work like a dream!

Inspired by Reggio
10-05-2012, 01:43 PM
....All cleaning products are dangerous ....

But that is my point is that they SHOULDN'T be ... I am not judging or attacking I admit that I myself used all these products for years cause I trusted that they must be 'safe' cause otherwise the government would not let them sell them .... until I ended up with cancer at 30 with no family history or genetic reasoning behind this and started thinking more about what goes into my body and what my body is exposed to that might be contributing to this downward spiral of my health!

Honestly IMO it is time that we as a society honestly start questioning WHY there such dangerous chemicals in our HOUSEHOLD cleaning supplies and why we have become so apathetic to this as the 'norm' that we just accept that this is the way it is despite rising evidence that SOMETHING is not right in our world with so much cancer and other disease and rising health issues!

I do not have a cupboard full of chemicals in my house that needs to be 'locked' in order to have a clean home because I do not accept that 'all household cleaners are dangerous' ... nothing I clean with requires me to wear gloves or a respirator or use in a 'ventilated area' everything I use to clean my house is technically 'edible' with the exception of the organic toilet bowl cleaner and laundry detergent which is still non toxic and 'could' be eaten if you wanted without 'harm' but I would not sprinkle it on my french fries or use it to help my muffins rise cause its full of some stinky unappetizing herbs that act to deodorize while cleaning ;)

My house is clean and there is very little 'communicable illness' in my daycare program or family from spread of 'bacteria' being left behind during cleaning and my cleaning regime consists of microfiber clothes and plain ole tap WATER and in some more stubborn areas of the home I will use baking soda and vinegar mix to remove calcium build up or deodorize pipes and so forth ... even my OVEN is cleaned with a microfiber cloth and water.

Seriously as a society we need to ask ourselves how 'dirty' are we that we think there is a high enough NEED to use formaldehyde and cyanide in a bathtub and kitchen sink cleaner to make it worth the risk of using it? Specially where young children live ... where they touch surfaces and than put those little fingers in their mouth cause sorry I worry how much 'rinsing' has to be done to ensure that NONE of that chemical is left behind on the surface?

We wonder why our immune systems are failing us, why cancer is everywhere and so so forth .... not only do these chemicals leave residue on the surfaces in our homes for us to ingest slowly day after day so it might not be enough for their 'tests' to register them as a risk but they are not testing for the accumulative effect of using these day after day week after week year after year in the home .... not to mention that the stuff we clean with individually than ends up in our COLLECTIVELY in the water supply when we rinse it down the kitchen sink, bathroom sink or flush it down the toilet so in much larger amounts as a result :(

Everywhere we turn we are being exposed to 'chemicals' that are not meant to be a normal part of our daily exposure ... they are in our foods, in our work places, in our homes and so forth ... seriously time for us to all pause and ask ourselves 'is this really necessary exposure'?

Crayola kiddies
10-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Yes Reggio you are 100% right all of those lovely smelling cleaners we use (not me) to clean our homes are so toxic. Most people don't realize that when they fill a bucket with mr clean and moP the floor after the water evaporates all thats left on the floor is a toxic chemical and then the babies crawl on it and its on their hands and then they put their hands in their mouth.... Same for cleaning windows .... I use water and my norwex window cloth ... Totally streak and chemical free ... you just have to get used to a clean house smelling like nothing instead of smelling like lemon javex.

Inspired by Reggio
10-05-2012, 01:57 PM
....Same for cleaning windows .... I use water and my norwex window cloth ... Totally streak and chemical free ... you just have to get used to a clean house smelling like nothing instead of smelling like lemon javex.

LOL ~ my house smells like my Scentsy warmer because I admit that part of 'feeling clean' for me is SMELLING clean :o but Scentsy uses food grade wax and essential oils and so forth to scent ... it is a 'edible non toxic' product.

Crayola kiddies
10-05-2012, 02:28 PM
I would love that but hubby would have a fit .... He has a "sensitive" nose . I got a reed diffuser for Christmas last year and after the friend that gave it to me left I literally had wrestle it out of his hands as he was heading for the garbage. Men !!!! You can't live with them and you can't shoot them either ! ; )

mrsplante
10-07-2012, 11:02 AM
I was watching the OWN network (for some reason) the other day and they used toothpaste to get crayon off the wall and said it would work on pretty much any surface. It was crazy! Then they used hairspray to get sharpie marker off the wall! Incredible!

Momof4
10-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Try putting her in a booster seat at the table with the crayons and paper and that way she can't wander around and when she's done put them up
This is exactly what I do for colouring and painting and playdo and crafts, it's all done at the dining room table with the babies in boosters. Since I have a nice butcher block table the craft mats are put out for all the children. One trick I use is to put a little bit of scotch tape on the top & bottom of the pages to keep them still for the children while they colour or paint.

playfelt
10-08-2012, 08:03 PM
I put a tablecloth on the craft table before we use it since it is also our eating table for lunch. It is large round table and I just use one of those thin party plastic cloths from the dollar store and replace as needed which is usually several months. It goes down while they clean up and then they come to sit at the table. When done I can just shake it outside as needed and then roll up and stuff on the shelf for next time.

kidlove
10-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Use your iron (on low setting) and a brown paper bag, lay the bag over the crayon on carpet and iron rubbing gentely, should take up most of the crayon...mr clean (magic eraser) will take crayon off any hard surface. And then put the crayons up!!!! ha ha :)

Dreamalittledream
10-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Crayons are officially up....way up;). These little ones teach me so much;)