PDA

View Full Version : Sand/water table?

Starshine
10-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Does anyone have a sand/water table INSIDE? What do you put in it? I'm envisioning a giant mess...but it might be fun.

Dreamalittledream
10-06-2012, 09:12 PM
I have been considering the same thing for a year now....a sensory table inside...just not brave enough.

Inspired by Reggio
10-07-2012, 06:12 AM
I use Rubbermaid bins for sensory inside ~ I have two sizes the 'under the bed giftwrap' size that two to four can fit around either on the floor or standing at the child size table depending on how well they play together as well as I use the 'shoebox' size for individual bins for things like goop and so forth because it helps to contain that kind of mess when you are playing 'alone' in it verses as a group where sensory can get silly ;)

Inside I tend to stick to water play and save the sand for the PARK to be honest cause I do not want it in my house ruining finish on my floors and I do not want it in my yard killing my grass cause sand is insidious and even when they 'try' to keep it in a bin it migrates :( At the park I can shake them off and have them empty their shoes when it is time to go and therefore do my best to leave it there and whatever is missed tends to 'fall off' during the walk home!

For 'dry' sensory options instead of sand in the house I use things like pom poms, paper clips and pipe cleaners, acorns & pine cones & sticks and so forth ~ stuff easy to pick up and put back in should it find its way out of the bin ;) Outside I use raw noodles or colored rice or in the spring potting soil and the bins stay on the deck so that it can be swept up and if it falls between the deck cracks no big deal.

Crayola kiddies
10-07-2012, 07:00 AM
I too have sensory bins with lids and I have one with rice and one with lentils and they each have a scoop and a funnel And a couple of cars and I have one with colored pasta and one with two hand held magnets and all kinds of different metal objects .

mamaof4
10-07-2012, 09:40 AM
I would avoid sand inside-- that just sounds like a nightmare- but beans, rice, or oats would be great!

Momof4
10-08-2012, 02:35 PM
I would avoid sand inside-- that just sounds like a nightmare- but beans, rice, or oats would be great!

DITTO!!! I made green cooked linguini one Hallowe'en and stirred in some oil then added eyeballs, witches fingers and other items so the children could find the scary treasures in a big bin. I made slime one time too with corn starch and water and food colouring in a bin, but those are the two messiest things I've done.

These are two things we'll be doing again in a couple of weeks because I've had a complete turnover in the daycare since I did this with my old group.