PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Opening a Private Day home

CC's Daycare
10-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Hi, I am debating whether or not to open a private dayhome. We are moving into a bigger house in a small town in central Alberta in the new year. I was thinking at this time I could open a part time dayhome. Maybe taking 2-3kids two or three days of the week. What is the rate I would charge hourly in Alberta? I'm also wondering if I do this how I am going to run my son to preschool in the am. (I'm a mother of 2 boys, 3 year old & 20 months). Do you have enough carseats and pack up all the kids to run your own kid to & from preschool?

apples and bananas
10-09-2012, 07:26 AM
I'm going to tell you honestly. When I quit my job and decided to do this I did it for my kids. I saw a need for me to be home with them as they were going through a difficult adjustment. I had visions or school trips, taking care of them when they're sick, maybe even having time to volunteer at the school! Waiting for the school bus, picking them up on the odd day. etc.

The reality is... I feel bad booking off days for school trips as it inconveniences my clients. When they stay home sick they are either on their own in their bedroom or I have to close the daycare (loss of income) I've never driven my kids to school, (early clients) and I've never picked them up. Doctors appointments are a pain to schedule and I feel bad if I have to close last min for an appointment. I don't even wait with them for the bus, it's just too much of a pain to lug all of my little ones outside in the cold.

In saying that, I wouldn't change it for anything... there are a lot of good sides to it as well. Being here when my kids get off the bus is priceless to me. But the rest of it gets hard to manage sometimes.

So, just make sure you have a solid plan before you take anyone on and you stick to it. It will make your life so much easier!

You may find another parent at the preschool that you can work out a carpool arrangement with.

CC's Daycare
10-09-2012, 06:30 PM
I am going to take my friends two kids once a week and see how it goes. I figure if I'm at home I may as well watch a few other kids and earn some extra spending money. I do want to be able to run my kids to school and whatever else. For the majority anyway. I might have to get a vehicle with more seats.

CC's Daycare
10-10-2012, 11:22 PM
I'm thinking of offering Childcare mon,we'd,fri to work around my sons preschool. Don't know if I will find parents with the same schedule though. I'm not going to start until the new year. I have no idea where to begin.

apples and bananas
10-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Start advertising and see what happens. You may find someone with exactly that schedule. I have a child that goes to grammas some days and here some days. Mom wants to structure, but gramma also wants the grandaughter time. So, she comes 3 days a week. You may find something like that.