PDA

View Full Version : Drop ins?

GymMom
10-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Do you take drop ins? What do you charge and is it worth it? Got a call for 2 boys on a drop in basis, and I could fit them in a few days a month but I'm not sure it's worth it...I like that my regular kids know the rules and the schedule!

Play and Learn
10-10-2012, 11:30 AM
I would never take drop-ins. All the work for drop-ins is not worth any money to me! Even if you charge more.

jodaycare
10-10-2012, 11:44 AM
I have a casual family that comes when Mom gets supply work. I charge $40 per day and it works out fine.

GymMom
10-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Do you charge $40/child or per family, jodaycare?

jodaycare
10-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Per child.

Mamma_Mia
10-10-2012, 12:24 PM
I don't offer Drop in but if I did you better believe it's $40 a CHILD!

Toregone
10-10-2012, 12:34 PM
I do $35 per day per child up to 2 days per month. Any more than 2 per month and you must pay the part time monthly rate of $450. I also do not prorate for half days. It doesn't matter if the child is only there from 11-1 the full rate is still charged.

I am currently doing drop in care for a family that lives in another city but both parents had to come this week for business to my city. The needed 1.5 days of care so it worked great for them and I'm happy for the extra pocket money. :D

Inspired by Reggio
10-10-2012, 01:26 PM
I would only do it for past clients or children I already 'know' in some manner and of course if I had space .... I have done it for some of my part time clients who come regularly 2 days a week but occasionally wanted to pick up extra days and if I had a child away I would call up and let the parent know 'I have a space today if you want' and she would drop the child off ~ she was self employed and having a toddler at home became increasingly challenging .... drop in care can be very hard on some children who thrive on routine or suffer from 'separation anxiety' and the entire day is spent crying and upset cause they are out of routine and well as mentioned no amount of $$ is worth that to me or the stress it places on the other kids :(

Momof4
10-10-2012, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't do drop ins ever. I like to be organized and I'm a planner so it would drive me insane. I insist on having everyone's schedule a month in advance and I like to be as full as possible. If you were to keep one space empty so that it was available all the time I guess you would have to be able to survive on less income all the time.

ladyjbug
10-10-2012, 11:59 PM
As long as it's the right family and fit, I love my drop ins! I have two currently that come about 1x a month each, and I charge $40.00 a day. They are both older but my eldest son gets so excited when one of their days comes around. He especially asks after one boy - they are best friends. Sometimes they just come for the morning, and sometimes we make a day of it. They are really great, chilled out, self-reliant kids and come from fantastic, involved families though, so it gives some variety to our day without too much extra effort on my part. I'd really have to think if I wanted a younger child for drop in...it would have a really easygoing kid or it wouldn't be worth it to me.

dodge__driver11
10-11-2012, 12:37 AM
TRUST ME WHEN I SAY....this does not work.

I just posted about how to write to a mom that has a drop in schedule, and how to tell her this does not work for my schedule or long term business plan anymore.

It impacts so many things.

-Activity Planinng
-Oganized Outings
-Transition
-Meal planning
-MOST OF ALL YOUR BUDGETING AND INCOME.

I would not do it.

Good Luck!