PDA

View Full Version : Diapers ! How do you keep them from smelling?

Spixie33
04-19-2011, 01:09 PM
I am wondering what everyone does to keep the diapers from smelling between green bin or garbage pickups?

We can put diapers in a reclcying green bin program that comes once a week along with the other recycling but I am worried how to keep these diapers from smelling as the weather gets warmer. I definitely don't wnat my garage turning to defcon 5. lol

I have them in a hinged, locking lid ocntainer but it isn't air tight. After every diaper change I take the diaper to the garage and put it in this bin.

The weather is still cool here in ONT but even when I open the lid it already has a punch to it.

What are you using and how smell effective is it??

sunnydays
04-19-2011, 01:50 PM
We have green bins here in Ottawa, but we can't put diapers in them unfortunately. I am fortunate that I use cloth diapers mainly with my daughter and two of my daycare children are also in cloth, so I only have one in disposables, so it shouldn't be too bad. I don't have any solution other than to tie them into garbage bags.

momto3plus1angel
04-19-2011, 02:52 PM
I use a diaper genie in the house, it normally last 2 days or so then I take them outside to a garbage can with a lid, the smell isn't pretty but since the diapers are all in a bag inside the can it's bearable other than when you first take the lid off.

Play and Learn
04-19-2011, 03:02 PM
I have a Diaper Champ (I find these are less smelly than the Diaper Genie - siblings each had one), and at the end of each week, I take the bag out. With the Diaper Champ, you can use any bag you want (saves on monies - I just buy the Kirkland kitchen bags from Costco). I do not throw in the BMs, just bag these separately, and throw them in the garbage bag in the garage.

We have weekly pick-up. Luckily we're not in the city of Ottawa, where they're going to be doing garbage every second week - YUCK!!! :eek:

Like momto3plus1angel said:

the smell isn't pretty but since the diapers are all in a bag inside the can it's bearable other than when you first take the lid off.

Spixie33
04-19-2011, 03:12 PM
That's the gross thing....we only get garbage pickup every 2 weeks but blue box and green bin every week.

I don't feel comfortable throwing diapers in the garbage and leaving it for TWO weeks. I have a big disgust and issue with maggots and I don't think I can handle it if I see them on my garbage this year. Ewww:no::blink:

It has been great with the diapers in the garage during the cold weather but everything gets worse and stinky in summer. They have also thought about disallowing diapers in the green bins here but so far we have been lucky that they allow it. i can't imagine waiting two whole weeks otherwise:unsure::oh my:

playfelt
04-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Even with the two week garbage here in Ottawa there is supposed to be a plan for picking up diapers either weekly or at least on the inbetween weeks and then out with the garbage the other week. I just put in the garbage can and then when full bag goes to the garbage can. Smell isn't my problem - it is the garbage man's who takes the lid off. I do leave the cans sit with no lid on till needed. The poopy ones go into a grocery bag or empy bread bag or whatever. Parents keep me supplied with their plastic bags - love letting me take them off their hands. Guess since I have 5 in diapers plus my own special needs in depends that I just accept the smell as normal. Pretty sure if someone came over they would be appalled by it. I change diapers between my bathroom and laundry room so diapers go directly into laundry room with door closed and that helps too.

Play and Learn
04-19-2011, 04:33 PM
I also grab the veggie bags from the grocery stores to use for the BMs. Got the idea from a DCM.

mamaof4
04-19-2011, 05:46 PM
I use plastic carrier bags and double bag the stinky ones. Diaper Genies and I have not gotten along.

agesandstagesdaycare
04-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Play and Learn, where did you find the Diaper Champ? I checked online and can't find it at toyrus or sears. thanks!

Play and Learn
04-19-2011, 06:13 PM
UsedOttawa.com or Kijiji.ca! My sister has one that she might sell. Please PM me if you're interested, and I'll ask my sister!

agesandstagesdaycare
04-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Play and Learn - I'm in Kanata West. Is your sister near here? If not I'll check online for one. Thanks. :)

Play and Learn
04-19-2011, 06:40 PM
I've just sent you a PM agesandstages!

Emilys4Guppies
04-20-2011, 11:24 AM
I cloth diaper my own children and use tea tree oil on cotton swatches in my diaper pail. One of my DCK is cloth diapered and his get bagged and go into his diaper bag for mom to wash.

I love cloth diapered DCK!!! Makes it easier on me! I send the dipes home for mom to wash. I don't have stinky poop in my garbage (did you know that you're supposed to drop solid stools into the toilet and NOT send them to the landfill?). I also save money within my business because I don't have to buy garbage bag tags as often to deal with all the diapers that the 5 kids I have in diapers produce.

Spixie33
04-20-2011, 12:35 PM
I cloth diaper my own children and use tea tree oil on cotton swatches in my diaper pail. One of my DCK is cloth diapered and his get bagged and go into his diaper bag for mom to wash.

I love cloth diapered DCK!!! Makes it easier on me! I send the dipes home for mom to wash. I don't have stinky poop in my garbage (did you know that you're supposed to drop solid stools into the toilet and NOT send them to the landfill?). I also save money within my business because I don't have to buy garbage bag tags as often to deal with all the diapers that the 5 kids I have in diapers produce.

Put the solid waste into the toilet??? :ohmy::ohmy: How is that possible? It usually isn't in a conditon where that could happen. Usually BMS are pretty smeared and mushy. No thanks :no:
lol

I have 3 in diapers and I do worry what will happen this summer. I do not want flies and bugs to get attracted to the pungent smells. I have kept green box waste in my freezer or fridge for fear of the bad smell and attracting flies but there is no way I can do that with diapers of course. I just know I will freak out if I see a maggot coming because of the diapers. Maggots give me the heebie jeebies.

agesandstagesdaycare
04-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Yup, solid waste has to be flushed. I cloth diapered both my kids so I'm not looking forward to dealing with disposables but that's just part of the job. :) Any system can work as long as there's regular dumping of diapers in a garbage bag to keep the smell down.

Emilys4Guppies
04-20-2011, 02:24 PM
I had a DCP who wanted the disposables sent home with her son. She felt she could better gauge his pee and poops for the day. *shrug* I guess it's like that episode of Scrubs where they sing about "the answers in the poop". I was glad, again, not to have it in my garbage. :)

Skysue
06-28-2011, 09:57 PM
I am wondering what everyone does to keep the diapers from smelling between green bin or garbage pickups?

We can put diapers in a reclcying green bin program that comes once a week along with the other recycling but I am worried how to keep these diapers from smelling as the weather gets warmer. I definitely don't wnat my garage turning to defcon 5. lol

I have them in a hinged, locking lid ocntainer but it isn't air tight. After every diaper change I take the diaper to the garage and put it in this bin.

The weather is still cool here in ONT but even when I open the lid it already has a punch to it.

What are you using and how smell effective is it??

Go to dollarama and in the pet section they have bio degradable poop bags for dogs with a vanilla sent, you get 60 in the box and each bag can hold up to 3 diapers, tie it off and toss in the bin in the garage. I have been doing this for 3 years and its such a lifesaver!

mom-in-alberta
06-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Yup, I love those scented baggies!! And since I can't always find them, I stock up when I do!
The dollar store lady must wonder how many dogs I have, what with needing a dozen boxes of bags, lol.

KingstonMom
06-29-2011, 08:44 PM
I also just switched to the diaper champ from the diaper genie. This was a money related decision, and i found it on kijiji for $5. I just find i am running low on grocery bags since i take a bag full to the garage every other day. Thinking of asking parents to help me with a supply of bags. im sure everyone has lots to give!
all of our garbage goes to the garage, in a garbage bag in a can. the smell is not an issue because of this.

playfelt
06-29-2011, 11:07 PM
I ask my parents to help by supplying bags. They are more likely to stop at the store on the way home and not one of the reusable bags with them.Now that bags cost 5 cents at most places we use the reusable ones and I miss the plastic ones because I actually did use them. On the other hand at 5 cents a bag for a days worth of diapers it is worth getting some lightweight stuff put in a few so they get home with no holes.

Play and Learn
06-30-2011, 08:07 AM
KingstonMom - I use the Diaper Champ and love it.

I buy kitchen bags by Kirkland from Costco. It cost something like $14.99 for 320 bags. It works out great. I use these bags for the kitchen garbage anyway.

waterloo day mom
06-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Has anyone tried the the first years`s `clean air diaper disposal`?? It also uses regular garbage bags but also has a battery operated air filter. I`m looking for a new system since I`m tired of buying diaper genie refills every few weeks.

playfelt
06-30-2011, 02:22 PM
I tend to change everyone at selected times so I just use a regular grocery bag, toss them all in as I change and then tie it up and put it into the larger garbage can in the laundry room which is the large swing top kind with a regular green garbage bag in it. That bag is then taken out to the can in the garage when full.

waterloo day mom
06-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Baking soda is my lifeline! It's how I keep the stink under control in several different areas (kitchen garbage, diaper garbage, near litterbox, etc). Just sprinkle some in the bottom of the pail. It's old fashioned but it's cheap and it works :)

playfelt
06-30-2011, 09:24 PM
I find the garbage can is the least of my worries for smell. It is the area around the bathroom where I change everyone. Once the smell is there that is it. I have tried various air fresheners, febreeze, lysol etc and they work but don't like the smell of most of them.

horsegirl
07-06-2011, 05:31 PM
I change the children in the bathroom and I open the window in winter and summer. It seems that the fresh air takes away any odours in the air. I too use grocery bags and change the children at close to the same time. If we have a poopy diaper it is wrapped in a grocery bag and taken out to the garage where the garbage cans are. I am lucky that the garage is a few feet away from the daycare.

Skysue
07-06-2011, 10:30 PM
I find the garbage can is the least of my worries for smell. It is the area around the bathroom where I change everyone. Once the smell is there that is it. I have tried various air fresheners, febreeze, lysol etc and they work but don't like the smell of most of them.

I light sented candles when it the smell is bad! Glade makes a great line of then!

waterloo day mom
07-14-2011, 12:19 PM
just traded in my diaper genie for a diaper champ. SOOOOOO happy! both are equally convinient and about the same for containing the smell, but I LOVE not having to buy special refills and the kids just think it's the coolest thing to drip the diaper in, turn the handle, and poof! the diaper is gone. Now they fight over who gets to put diapers in the garbage. Would definitely recommend the diaper champ. (plus, bougth champ for $5 and sold genie for $10. Instant profit, plus no more expensive refills :laugh:)

Sandbox Sally
07-14-2011, 12:44 PM
I use those lightweight plastic bags you get at the dollar store too - kinda like the ones you use for veggies at the grocery store. I twist the diaper and bag, then fold it into itself, twist again and tie. You can't smell anything through them.

Sunflower
07-14-2011, 12:46 PM
I use those"scented " black doggy poop bags from dollarama for BM . So far so good.
The diapers are not the problem here, it's the brown compost bin !!!!

Skysue
07-14-2011, 01:05 PM
I use those"scented " black doggy poop bags from dollarama for BM . So far so good.
The diapers are not the problem here, it's the brown compost bin !!!!

Baking soda! Life saver!