PDA

View Full Version : Permission for Photos of Children

Bookworm
10-19-2012, 01:23 PM
I know that there is a thread already started on this (I think) but it was quite a while ago, and now I can't find it.
I have some generic pictures of my daycare up, but none with the daycare children in them. I want to add some pictures onto my website of the different things we've done so that I can show the parents what we do in a day.

How did you word your permission form in regards to allowing their children's photo to be used? I would like to word it in a way that seems the least threatening to their child's safety. Would anyone be willing to share/help. I would really appreciate it.

sunnydays
10-19-2012, 01:31 PM
For my website, I actually don't include any children's faces...so I have pictures of little hands doing things, sometimes feet etc. For photos in general, I have three options for parents to choose from (this is given to them with the contract when they sign on), 1 is not to have any photos taken of their child, 2 is to have photos taken for use in my daycare album and 3 is to have photos taken that can be shared with them over email as well as the other daycare parents.

Bookworm
10-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Good idea Sunnydays. I will try that option. Thank you.

BlueRose
10-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Permission to Photograph

I,

____________________ ____________________ ____________________ _________
(parent’s or guardian’s name)
give permission for

(type in your daycare name: your full name)

to photograph my child,
____________________ ____________________ ____________________ _________
(child’s name)

for the following purposes:

Type of Use: (Please check one)
Grant Permission Decline Permission
Still Photographs:
Display in provider’s personal scrapbook
Give photographs to current clients
Display in facility’s scrapbook or bulletin boards,
shown to current and prospective clients
Display still photos on facility’s website *
Use still photos in promotional materials

Videos:
Give video to current parents
Display video on facility website
Use videos in promotional materials
Other (please list):

* only first names and possibly last initials (in the event of two or more children with the same first name) will be displayed on the facility website.

I understand that it is my responsibility to update this form in the event that I no longer wish to authorize one or more of the above uses. I agree that this form will remain in effect during the term of my child’s enrollment.

I would not like my child to be photographed at all ______

Signed:
____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ________
(parent or guardian signature, and date)

I got this from THE DAYCARE LADY website. http://www.thedaycarelady.c om

cdngirl
10-19-2012, 01:44 PM
My contract did not include anything about photo usage so I email parents for permission as needed. Like sunnydays though, I never include faces in photos that will be shown publicly. If the faces are in the original photo, they will be cropped out. Once I have selected and edited photos for privacy, I attach them to an email to show the parents and ask if it's ok to use them.

I stress that the photos will "always be edited in such a way that faces are not showing.". I always ask in a way that they may say no if they don't feel comfortable with it. They have always granted permission readily though.

mimi
10-19-2012, 01:45 PM
I do not post photos of the kids either. I have a 9 photo frame in the d/c entrance which I change monthy with activity photos of each child in individual and in group play.

Inspired by Reggio
10-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Yes my consent for is in depth because photo documentation is a large part of my childcare approach to gather data on children's understandings and learning processes.

I use photographs for both authentic assessment portfolios as well as to gather our project stories for the purpose of sharing with other families and colleagues in the field.

I share children's documentation on my members only portal with parents, use them for advertizing purposes as well as I speak publicly and share my program stories with photos in workshops/seminars and as a certified ECE am required occasionally to publish articles or other forms of media and so forth to promote professional development among my peers as part of my certification ~ so all these various options are on my consent form and I give parents the options of either Yes, Permission to use my child’s photo/image is granted or No, do not use my child’s photo/image in this manner. If my child's image cannot be cropped out a photo to be used, please digitally distort his/her image beyond facial recognition for each varied option.

A picture is worth a 1000 words and IMO for new clients being able to 'see' the love of learning going on in the eyes and faces of the children as part of advertizing on a website of flyer is priceless ... I never use 'names' in this context.

My consent form also has a disclaimer that I cannot be responsible for any images used publicly being taken by a third party and used for other purposes than the consent given ~ a couple blogs I follow had issues with their blog content being 'stolen' by someone and they were passing off the photos and work being done with children as their own ideas and children ... it takes all kinds in this world!

Momof4
10-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Here is mine but the formatting didn't copy over:

C...... H..... Daycare
Picture Permission Form

I, ____________________ ____________________ ____ give permission for

pictures of my child ____________________ __________________ to be

published on the website and for advertising purposes for C...... H......... Daycare.

I understand that S (HDCP) will never post my child’s picture on any other
part of the internet except with reference to her own daycare business and will
treat the pictures with privacy and discretion at all times. I understand that
these pictures will be the property of S (HDCP) and C..... H...... Daycare even
after we leave her care in the future.

I also give permission for S (HDCP) to allow London media to use photographs of my child after checking their credentials to assure they work for legitimate London media. I also give permission for playgroup organizations such as Childreach or the London Public Library to use photographs of my child in their published work or websites as approved with discretion by S (HDCP) while my child is attending C.... H...... Daycare field trips.

____________________ _____

Parent’s Signature

____________________ _____

Date

Bookworm
10-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Thank you all for your input!

Momof4
10-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Every time I have an interview the people tell me that my website made them want an interview with me. They can see the children having fun inside with dancing, crafting, creating, learning and outside on the play equipment, at the library and other places we travel. It sells them before they even arrive for an interview. A couple of years ago I didn't think I would ever have a website but some really good friends helped me through it and now I know it's the best selling tool any of us could ever have in place!

Bugaboo
10-20-2012, 08:47 PM
I do take photographs of my day care kids for craft purposes, as gifts for their parents, and sometimes I will photograph an injury as well (Ex: if the child fell and it produced a bruise). I do not put photos of my day care kids on the internet or share those photos publicly. I am very uneasy having photos of my own children online or shared publicly so I just don't do it. That's just my personal opinion. If you decide to put photos of your dck's "out there" then for sure get signed consent from all parents and be sure that they understand the potential risks of having their children's photos displayed online, etc. I have my policy on photographs in my contract. I have never had a parent hesitate to sign permission to take photos but I think that is largely because they know that they are confined to the two parties (me and the family).

Momof4
10-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Bugaboo, I understand and I have a dcfamily who post their child's videos on Youtube and send it to me as they aren't here any longer. I look at the hits and see that it's over 2000 and wonder if those are all perverts coming to see a little girl dancing, etc. It's crazy and freaks me out and I don't know why the parents don't think of that.

Yes, the internet scares me a lot. But I don't know how to set up a system so that the parents can only see daily photos with a password and I don't want to take the time to do that. I know one of my HDCP friends does that. So I post on my websiite and get so much amazingly positive feedback from current families and those who write to me for interviews.

BrightEyes
10-21-2012, 07:07 AM
Bugaboo, I understand and I have a dcfamily who post their child's videos on Youtube and send it to me as they aren't here any longer. I look at the hits and see that it's over 2000 and wonder if those are all perverts coming to see a little girl dancing, etc. It's crazy and freaks me out and I don't know why the parents don't think of that.

I totally agree!!!!! I honestly don't know how parents can feel comfortable posting videos on youtube for ANYONE to see..... I have put up videos of my daughter on youtube but that is set to PRIVATE so that the only people who can see the videos are the e-mail addresses that I put with it. And the only reason I even put them on youtube is because my husband's family live in another country and don't get to see their granddaughter/niece in person.

Depending on what site you use for your website you can add the password protected pages. For example, on Weebly you pay a bit to upgrade from the "free" version and then you can put password protected pages. Personally I think it is worth it. I like to protect full pictures and then use partial photos (not showing the face) for advertising.

Dreamalittledream
10-21-2012, 09:24 AM
I actually have a Facebook group for my Daycare and post daily pictures there. I have set the group settings to private so no one else but who I invite to join can see the group page/posts/photos. I have parents, grandparents, aunts etc. as members and they love seeing the pictures! I have a consent for as well and actually have not had one person say no.