PDA

View Full Version : Help!

ggraham
10-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Hi, I'm hoping someone out there can help me with an issue. I've been running my own dayhome for 5 years now and I have never dealt with this before.
I have a one year old who does nothing but howl (and i mean howl) when it's nap time. He will do this or whine unless I pick him up and I'm not prepared to do that. He's fed, changed, he has his sleeping toy etc and nothing helps. Its affecting the other 2 children in my care because they can't get a good nap or a nap at all when he is here. His parents are very nonchalant about napping. It's like if they can get him to have a nap that's a bonus but it's not enforced on their side. This also affects his day here too, cause if we are outside playing he will just fall asleep wherever he is. I hope someone can help me, cause I'm not sure what else to do.
Thank you!

apples and bananas
10-23-2012, 03:27 PM
I haven't been doing this as long as you, however, the parents hagve to be on board! The same routine has to be happening at home otherwise there's no point in you doing it.

Momof4
10-23-2012, 04:45 PM
I haven't been doing this as long as you, however, the parents hagve to be on board! The same routine has to be happening at home otherwise there's no point in you doing it.

DITTO!!!

Talk to the parents and tell them what is happening about everything in your daycare life and make sure consistency is at home. Are your routines pretty much the same daily? I find the more routine in a child's life the healthier and happier they are in all areas.

I did have a boy in my daycare 3 days/week who never napped for his parents at home but when I put everyone to bed and closed the blackout curtains he fell asleep every single day he was here for 3 1/2 years. Go figure! He understood that there was no option for him to scream and misbehave here. He didn't get his way. There was no negotiating. My rules are my rules.

It does take time for the children to understand, but never cave, be consistent every day.

Dreamalittledream
10-23-2012, 06:12 PM
I have one too...you're not alone. I am just fortunate he is off on his own and not disturbing anyone. If I could just get him to stay laying down. At home they rock him, give him a bottle, have the blanket a certain way...blah blah....great prep for daycare, huh? Mine's still transitioning, so I'm attributing it to that, but honestly, I just let him howl. I tried the go in every 5 min & lay them back down, firm "sleep time now, no noise" approach...for him it just escalates.