PDA

View Full Version : Discount for closing part of the day

apples and bananas
10-26-2012, 12:55 PM
I know a lot of us don't charge if we close - appt - school trips etc. And some of us have personal days and sick days we can use. What if you have an am appt and you open late? I have something I have to be at but I will be open by 10:30 am. Would you discount the day?

playfelt
10-26-2012, 01:01 PM
There is a very good chance parents won't be able to accomodate that and either take the day off work and child doesn't come at all or they find someone else like grandma for the day and same thing they don't come to care. Be prepared to lose the money for the day as if you were closed. For those that do come I wouldn't discount the day since you are doing them a service by not closing if that makes sense.

Spixie33
10-26-2012, 01:08 PM
I have had this happen.

I usually offer parents a half day rate in this case. I would tell them I can open at 10:30 and give the half day rate or else offer them to take it as an unpaid day.

Most families have opted to take it as an unpaid day.

Crayola kiddies
10-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Do you have an alternate caregiver you could bring in for the morning? I have paid personal days writen in my contract but I haven't used one this year and I am going out of town at the end of nov just for the weekend but I am leaving at 11:00am but I am bringing in my mother in law to finish the day for me instead of closing cause most of my families have used all their holidays/personal days/sick days for the year.

Inspired by Reggio
10-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Hmm ~ I have never done it that way so not sure what I would do ~ I might be inclined to poll my clients and get the majority vote on would they be able to find alternative 'morning care' care around a morning appointment and drop off for a 3/4 day and NO PRORATING of the fees because you are still open for more than 5 hours which is a full day on my fee schedule OR would it be easier for me to just close and take the full day off without payment or use a paid personal day for those on that play with my program.

I know my clients and MAJORITY if not ALL of them would likely vote the 'drop off for 10:30 and pay me full day still verses taking a full day off for them to have to find care for or take off work themselves ;)

apples and bananas
10-26-2012, 01:36 PM
I do this every time I just have a short appointment and the majority of my clients will go into work late. I have never discounted because I'm still caring for more then 5 hours (my half day limit)

Thanks for the feedback.

daycaremum
10-26-2012, 02:29 PM
I have done this. If the family still sends their kid, it is the same charge. If they choose to keep their child home or send them elsewhere, I don't charge them for the day as I am the one who has changed the opening hours. Same thing with needing to close early.

Momof4
10-26-2012, 03:05 PM
I have a medical test scheduled for a Friday in Nov. and sent out a letter to my parents encouraging them to take a long weekend with their families and apologizing. But I'm giving them lots of notice and really don't feel guilty. I figured I could open by 10ish but why bother. I'm not sure how they could make arrangements for that,so I decided to close. Then they can either be at work or at home enjoying their day at 10am. By the way, that's why I have paid personal days in my contract. Stuff happens to us too even though we are very, very close to being indestructible!!!