PDA

View Full Version : Murphy's Law

cfred
10-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Just wondering if Murphy's stalking anyone else? This has been the wildest 6 month span with one incident after another. First, my rural daycare went bust....2 big daycares moved into the area making my place too 'out of the way'. So be it, I sank my life savings into a new house. The ex has decided child support is optional...awesome. A bee attack landed me in hospital....wonderfu l. Now that I've bought a new house everything, I mean EVERYTHING is falling apart! Washing machine broke down, dog had 20 teeth extracted, multiple issues with my van (warrantee ran out, of course), son suspended from school (well done my boy) and daughter moved home from Montreal. I'm still learning the ropes at setting up business in an area with vastly more competition (soooo different from the country) then the icing on the cake.....as soon as a new client signed the contract...not kidding...within 5 minutes of signing, my daughter came into the daycare and apologized for backing into her van. Really? Come ON!!! She was cool about it, but jeez! And now, to top it all, I likely have to cancel my long awaited camping trip (paid and non-refundable) for 2 weeks in Puerto Rico. Goodbye sanity.....I'll miss you.

Thanks for the rant.....needed to vent :(

sunnydays
10-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Oh wow...I am so sorry to hear that things have been so tough for you! What a lot of bad luck! Keep thinking positively though and things will swing the other way...at least it can't get much worse right?

Inspired by Reggio
10-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Oh wow Cfred ... yes Murphy can be an ass if he finds his way into your life .... it sounds like it is time to do some quiet meditation and wash away all that negative energy that seems to have attached itself to you and causing all that havoc and let the universe know you are ready willing and able to accept some positive into your life and attract what you need to move on to a better place!

Sending you some positive vibes!

Crayola kiddies
10-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Ya I've had a bit if bad luck myself .... So I get where you're coming from ....in July I had a family bring hand foot mouth in my daycare and everybody but one kid got it including my own three and one family the parents also got it and they were mad and thought I should have been able to do something about it so they left then I termed another family cause the mom didn't speak to me for 8 months and they tried to negotiate my whole contract ( we'd like to see your illness policy say this blah blah blah , and we don't feel you should be paid for all of your holidays, and we want to extend our hours) , then on the day they finished another family brought lice into my daycare two kids had it (not mine thank god but still all the cleaning and scratching) then the family that brought the lice has informed me that dads is going to take the winter off so here's your two weeks .... Good grief ..... .... Actually I would just like about two weeks to my self to do what I want thru the day ..... It's always just kids kids kids ......oh well I guess we just keep trudging along.

mimi
10-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Do you really have to cancel your trip? It sounds like you really really need this get a way. They say what doesn't kill you will make you stronger BUT come on enough already!!!! It sounds like you can find some humour in some of these scenarios and that can keep you sane. About the ex and child support? NO NO, go after him and do not listen to any excuses (Been there) and the government doesn't either. If he can't afford the amount, he can go to court to have it reduced. He cannot decide to do this himself. UGH :cursing: I am sending you my strongest vibes that all will turn around for you. :flower:

mimi
10-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Crayola, sending you positive vibes as well hun :flower:

cfred
10-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Aw Crayola...you too? Sucks. Hope things get better on your end too :)

I do have a sense of humour about it at least, but would still like Murphy to piss off for a while and set up camp somewhere else. My exhusband's schedule is wide open ;)

The new family that signed is going to see what they can sort out for my trip, but I'm not holding my breath. It's 15 days and was booked last Feb when I had my old roster of clients. The house purchase was very unexpected...impulsi ve actually. I've considered shortening the trip, but the cost to change the ticket will be more than the original cost factoring the change in island hopper, etc. Oh well....hopefully I can go (fingers firmly crossed). I just want to lay in my hammock for 2 weeks and read Salinger in my bikini. That beach is my favourite place on earth. Soooo revitalizing!

Oh no....I'd NEVER just let my ex get away without child support. I go through FRO, but things tend to be slow as molasses with them as any fellow divorcees probably know...red tape and all. He already had his license suspended, has a writ of seizure and sale, and federal fund deduction, etc. Guess he'll lose his license again, poor guy. It's always been like this with him. Not a very responsible guy. I can only marvel that I had children with him:ohmy: Usually we're fine without it, but our circumstances are just a bit topsy turvy at the moment.

On the upside, I've signed 2 full time and 1 part time client. 1 full time to go and we're golden!

Thanks ladies! Feeling better already!

Momof4
10-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Damn, Murphy never leaves me, but he's been running rampant lately!!! Sorry ladies but let's keep propping each other up, ok?

Cocoon
10-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Count me in. I don't know if I've told you guys this but one of my family had left as their single parent friend is opening a day home. And the job I was offered, I declined. I needed to travel for work which I'm not up for it. I was in partnership with my uncle back home which failed 4 months ago and he still hasn't give my money back and I don't think I will be getting it soon :( I sooo need that money.

I had a meeting today with a family ive met at the park. Their nanny is leaving in 2 weeks and she wants me to look after her child. I hope from now on I will hear good news only so you guys.

Crayola kiddies
10-30-2012, 06:02 AM
Yay I too just got contacted yesterday by two different families looking for care. Fingers crossed I can fill my one spot
Filler up vibes for everyone ! ; )

playfelt
10-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Have an interview tonight for a new one finally after turning down the last few interested people for various reasons from what part of I close at 4:45 cause I open at 6:30 do you not get and no lying and then coming to my house and hoping I would love your child so much I would work till 5:45 ---ummm no. Fulltime on the phone became 2 days one week and 3 the next by the time the interview was over -...um no unless you want to pay full time anyway - etc. so tire of interviewing.

Here's an ethical question and yes I know the answer but asking anyways. Family is in care now - for three weeks but she rhymed off a list of problems - some involve safety issues - as their reason for seeking new care. On the positive side she says child has settled into care nicely, eats well and naps well at care so that is a plus. Feel bad for the caregiver unless the accusations are true which I will never know but is the old caregiver still entitled to due notice, etc. based on the reasons for removing the child from care. I know not my problem because the parents will need to come up with the money for me too., I will be skeptical if they leave the child at the other daycare for their two week notice period for sure. Seeing this from a caregiver standpoint in the sense that we all make mistakes when getting to know a new group of kids and generally speaking it is nothing major. Guessing there is more going on here so have a new list of questions to ask at the interview.

Crayola kiddies
10-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Good luck in your interview playfelt ...... It has been really slow since the beginning if summer. I just last night got two inquiries and another this morning. I'm not interested in one of the inquires from last night as they want care to midnight on occasion. Ummmm I'm not up that late. But the other two are quite promising. So let's hope the tides are turning now for everybody.

Cocoon
10-30-2012, 09:01 AM
You are a wise woman and I'm sure there is nothing we can tell you that you already don't know:) I will tell you what I would do. If a child coming to me from another day home i would ask them to give me their previous day home number so that I can find out her side of the story and based on both stories I can make my own judgment. You never known maybe this family is pain in the neck and their current day home gave them the notice as she could not take their demands anymore. I would say talk to their current day home. Hope it helps.

kidlove
10-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Wow Cfred. Sounds like a movie...sorry to laugh but the "backed the van into the new client" got me. Too crazy to be anyones life? So sorry for your trials. Keep this in mind, not only does God not give you anything you can't handle, but What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. Sounds like you are going through some tough stuff, but most likely not without reason....hold strong and know at the end of all this the reality is...YOU CAN HANDLE ANYTHING! Take care Cfred, and keep rowing the shore is closer than you think.

sunnydays
10-30-2012, 02:03 PM
They may not have to give notice if they are only 3 weeks into care. I know I have in my contract that neither parents nor I have to give notice during the first 4 weeks of care because it is a trial period for all of us. I have never had anyone leave and haven't yet had to terminate one during this period, but it gives us an out if things are not going well. I have two new kids from other daycares and they are both working out well. I know I have to take what their parents told me about the other providers with a big grain of salt, but I decided to give them a chance (knowing that I do have the trial period so can always get out if need be). I am only on day two with the final one, a little girl turning three soon, but so far she is just as sweet and polite as can be and I am sure I will not have problems with her or the parents.

Have an interview tonight for a new one finally after turning down the last few interested people for various reasons from what part of I close at 4:45 cause I open at 6:30 do you not get and no lying and then coming to my house and hoping I would love your child so much I would work till 5:45 ---ummm no. Fulltime on the phone became 2 days one week and 3 the next by the time the interview was over -...um no unless you want to pay full time anyway - etc. so tire of interviewing.

Here's an ethical question and yes I know the answer but asking anyways. Family is in care now - for three weeks but she rhymed off a list of problems - some involve safety issues - as their reason for seeking new care. On the positive side she says child has settled into care nicely, eats well and naps well at care so that is a plus. Feel bad for the caregiver unless the accusations are true which I will never know but is the old caregiver still entitled to due notice, etc. based on the reasons for removing the child from care. I know not my problem because the parents will need to come up with the money for me too., I will be skeptical if they leave the child at the other daycare for their two week notice period for sure. Seeing this from a caregiver standpoint in the sense that we all make mistakes when getting to know a new group of kids and generally speaking it is nothing major. Guessing there is more going on here so have a new list of questions to ask at the interview.

Mamma_Mia
10-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Just sending you all positive vibes and turn around dust! Here's to things FINALLY going the way WE want it too!!!!
xoxo

Crayola kiddies
10-30-2012, 08:03 PM
I think the flood gates have opened ..... I have had four inquiries in the last 24 hours .... Fingers crossed that the dry spell has ended.

fruitloop
10-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Ya, murphy was just here yesterday visiting. I was finally full, able to get WAY ahead, get some extras, etc. and then 1 of my families gave me notice because their house sold and they're moving out of town. UGH...no I have to try to replace them :( I hope Murphy moves to another planet and leaves everyone alone for a bit.

playfelt
10-31-2012, 08:36 AM
They may not have to give notice if they are only 3 weeks into care. I know I have in my contract that neither parents nor I have to give notice during the first 4 weeks of care because it is a trial period for all of us. I have never had anyone leave and haven't yet had to terminate one during this period, but it gives us an out if things are not going well. I have two new kids from other daycares and they are both working out well. I know I have to take what their parents told me about the other providers with a big grain of salt, but I decided to give them a chance (knowing that I do have the trial period so can always get out if need be). I am only on day two with the final one, a little girl turning three soon, but so far she is just as sweet and polite as can be and I am sure I will not have problems with her or the parents.

Interveiw went good but they are visiting quite a few homes this week but making a decision by the weekend. Apparantlly on a day the provider had 6 daycare kids in care one of them took a pill, the gate to the stairs was off and this baby was crawling on them. Think that would be enough for me to change too.

They went there because it is on the same street and their friend's child goes there. They never interviewed for care so this is a new experience for them and this time are visiting anything near them to see what is out there. They really didn't seem to have a handle on what they were looking for in care other than safety issues so last night was a lot of talking them through the whole experience. Sounds like all the daycare kids are part time with lots of overlaps - she has been doing care for 15 years.

Momof4
10-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Good luck with all the interviews and congratulations too!

sunnydays
10-31-2012, 07:34 PM
Wow, Playfelt, if that is true, I hope they are not still sending their child there in the meantime?! A child took a pill?! Gate off and baby on stairs?! That is not a safe environment and as a parent, I would be pulling my kid out immediately without notice and take time off work to find a new arrangement. Their child could die in that situation! While I find it nervewracking to take clients who are leaving other daycares, I also really want to give parents the benefit of the doubt and so far it seems to be working out with the two I have taken the chance on. I just make sure they know the rules right from the beginning in case they are the type to nitpick or cause the provider problems and that is why they are leaving. The little girl I took was left alone to cry in the basement for 30 minutes as punishment for crying and not being able to say why at her old daycare. I am only on day three with her, but so far she is the sweetest, best behaved child I have ever met! I just can't imagine a need for such harsh discpline, especially with a child like this. It all leaves me to wonder if there are a lot of not-so-great daycares out there.