PDA

View Full Version : Pets in a day home

mamaof4
04-25-2011, 11:06 AM
do you have pets? how are they dealt with during daycare hours?

fruitloop
04-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Yup, I am a pet friendly daycare. I have 2 dogs that are around the kids all the time, 1 cat who hides, frogs in a tank for the daycare kids to look at and my son has a bearded dragon. On our way outside to the back door the kids always stop and say to him.

giraffe
04-28-2011, 10:47 AM
I have a dog, he is not permitted to enter out daycare room but he is allowed to be with the children when we are upstairs for lunch. He also has his own fenced in space in the backyard so that I dont need to be conserned about his "output".

mamabear
04-29-2011, 09:20 PM
I have 2 small dogs that are always around. The kids love them, and the dogs love the kids. The dogs are a part of our family and if a family didn't approve they'd have to find care elsewhere. We also have fish and 2 fat tailed geckos.

Emilys4Guppies
04-30-2011, 11:08 AM
We have two cats, 3 rats, 3 chickens and a python. None of our pets are in the daycare area, although the children are permitted to touch/pet/play with the animals under supervision. I'm not the type to trust animals alone with children, so unless I'm there to directly monitor the interaction I prefer no interaction.

I'm not a dog person myself and have never used a home daycare that had dogs because of that.

I also tell people we have cats prior to interviews because we (obviously) wouldn't get rid of our pets for a DCK, and wouldn't expect a daycare to alter their pet's routines for us either. It simply is not a good fit and another care would be.

mom-in-alberta
05-01-2011, 08:22 PM
When I started doing childcare, we only had outdoor cats (necessary to keep the mice under control). 2 weeks ago, we got 2 adult dogs. They are labs, so do great with kids (we tested with our own kids first, obviously). The amount of time they spend with dc kids is limited, and depends on who is there that day.

Sarah A
05-18-2011, 01:55 PM
I have a small toy poodle. She loves kids, when they are not trying to hit her :) but she needs to get used to them when they start. She normally sleeps during the day and I have to put her food away so the babies don't eat it or spill the water.
The kids love to play with her and it teaches them to be gentle.

zen39
05-19-2011, 12:01 PM
I have a golden retriever/black lab, a fat cat and lots of fish and a couple of frogs. My daycare parents have never had an issue with me having a dog. I was very upfront from the moment I first spoke with them. My dog is allowed around the children, but often she is outside or away from them, because it's the little ones who can be rough to her. My fish tanks are in the daycare room and the kids love the fish and feeding the fish.

Play and Learn
05-19-2011, 12:55 PM
We don't have any pets as of yet...but we sometimes take care of my in-laws dog - she's a yellow lab, and is getting old. An outdoor dog (a farm dog), so she's not allowed in the house, and if my hubby isn't home, she's either in the garage or she's tied to a rope.

Hubby would LOVE to get a dog...we'll see!

All my dckids have pets at home, so it's not a problem for us to have pets here.

Emilys4Guppies
05-19-2011, 05:13 PM
All my dckids have pets at home, so it's not a problem for us to have pets here.

When I used home daycare for my own children we had a shepherd/lab mix but I still wouldn't use a home daycare with a dog. Although, obviously that's not the case for your family, but something to consider. I trust no dog around my children unless I know it well, no matter how friendly the owners say it is. I think I have high standards of how dogs should behave and most people I know don't though. LOL. Think Cesar Milan and Brad Pattison standard of behaviour, lol.

Play and Learn
05-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Emily, if we EVER got a dog, it would be in a cage when in the home with the kids (or in the basement), and outside would be on the other side of the yard (we have an acre lot). But I don't see a dog in the foresee future, as we won't be able to afford one at the moment - hell - we don't even have kids yet!

Emilys4Guppies
05-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Acre lot! I'm jealous! We have a 40'x110' lot. LOL.

Play and Learn
05-19-2011, 07:40 PM
It was one thing that hubby had to have when finding a home, and my one thing was it had to have 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. Now because he's finishing up the basement, we'll have 4 bedrooms, 3 full baths, and 2 kitchens!!!
He grew up on a 100 acre hobby farm. In my parents backyard, there was a shed, and my metal swing set! lol So, we got an acre lot, cause that was his minimum (as long as I don't have to mow I'm happy!).

lilac
05-21-2011, 10:22 PM
We have 2 cats, its always one of the things I tell people on the phone, before they even come over, if they are allergic, there is no point in having them interview... The kids love them, some love them a bit too much.... I think its a good thing that they learn that they cant just maul a cat cuz they love it! LOL!

Tot-Time
05-23-2011, 05:39 PM
I used to have a chocolate lab, she loved children. Unfortunately she did not love adults as was extremely scared of adults, so she was always put in her room (my office) for pick up and drop off. There were exceptions of course and the parents did all love Cocoa the few times Cocoa would let them near her.

Cocoa is no longer with us, and I don't think I will replace her. I found that a lot of families automatically turned my daycare down because of my Cocoa. Which was unfortunate because my families that had a parent who was allergic to dogs seemed to have no allergies to Cocoa and my families that were scared of larger dogs ended up not having a fear of dogs (or at least of Cocoa) by the time they left care.

My daycare kids loved Cocoa and Cocoa was very good for daycare. She played with the kids, the kids climbed under and over her, they played dinky cars on her etc. When Cocoa tired of playing she just went into my office and rested.

Maroy
05-22-2012, 04:24 PM
My family is pondering the idea of getting a bouvier de flanders. I don't think I spelled that correctly. I am opening a preschool/before-after school program. In any case, I am unsure of how to deal with a new puppy, plus other people's children. If I am doing the before and after school program it shouldn't be a big issue. But I wanted to do a preschool idea/maybe daycare. How would I manage a new puppy with the kids?

wolfpup
06-06-2012, 01:09 PM
I have 3 dogs... 2 big old boys and a small breed pup! If parents are concerned then I bring them in to meet them as they are 3 of the most docile, loving animals I have ever met. My own kids would be heartbroken if they couldnt have their dogs to snuggle so... it is clearly put in my policy/handbook that I have 3 very friendly dogs and if there are any allergies or issues then this isnt the day home for them... plain and simple. I state "we have 3 dogs that are a part of our family" They do however have an enclosed dog run so that they kids can run in the yard without the fear of a "poop slide" or something! :p

wolfpup
06-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Might I also add that if my kids had to go to a day home rather than be home with me, I would PREFER a home with pets. Animals can be a great stress relief and also teach children how to be tender and caring. I grew up with animals and cant imagine not having them ever... if that means no day home then that is a choice I would make. So far any dhk (day home kids) that have been a bit scared of dogs seem to have come out of their shells with mine. They are just the most patient, loving beasts around. My daughter sits on our one big dog and watches tv while she plays with his ears. He loves it!! Kids play cars on him, he sleeps. When my dogs have had enough they either ask to go outside or go to the laundry room, the kids know not to follow then.

sunnydays
06-06-2012, 01:16 PM
My family is pondering the idea of getting a bouvier de flanders. I don't think I spelled that correctly. I am opening a preschool/before-after school program. In any case, I am unsure of how to deal with a new puppy, plus other people's children. If I am doing the before and after school program it shouldn't be a big issue. But I wanted to do a preschool idea/maybe daycare. How would I manage a new puppy with the kids?

I really wouldn't take on a new puppy at the same time as opening a new daycare/preschool! That sounds like a lot to deal with all at once! Maybe you could wait until your business is up and running and you have a handle on that?

Crayola kiddies
06-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Maroy .... Have you checked out the bouv traits? Do you know someone with a bouv ? Have you had one before? Make sure whatever you get you do it at the beginning of your holidays so you have a couple of weeks to spend with it and make sure you crate train it.

clep
06-06-2012, 04:18 PM
I have three mini dachshunds, a ball python, a Brazilian rainbow boa, two leopard geckos and a bearded dragon. We used to have over 25 reptiles but downsized in the last six months. We had a reptile room and a separate day home space. Only one dog at a time can come into my day home space attached to a leash on me. I would not be impressed if a dog licked a child and it is also for training purposes. They can see the other pets under supervision by me.

Crayola kiddies
06-06-2012, 04:51 PM
I have a boxer ! He loves the kids and he spends a good part of the day with us when he is not snoozing. We are on 4 acres and when we are outside the kids love to throw a ball for him. I have in my ads that I have a dog.

monkeymama
06-07-2012, 07:37 AM
the first thing i tell potential dcp before we have an interview is that we have a dog. she is extremely good with children; once she gets use to the new dck she doesnt even bother with them anymore. one of my dcb favorite things to do is throw a bone for her to fetch in my backyard. my dog came before the daycare, she is a part of our family. all my dck have dogs in their home and love animals. if a dcp was apprehensive of the idea, they are not the right family for my daycare. i may lose some potential families because of my dog but i have accepted that may be the case. so far, i have wonderful families who accept her very well.

michellesmunchkins
06-07-2012, 09:09 AM
We have 3 cats, a hamster and some fish. My ads and my website state that we have cats and I also reiterate that on the phone/email BEFORE interviewing...this way anyone with allergies doesn't waste their time or my time with interviews. Having said that, I still end up with people coming to an interview and then saying.."oh...not sure little Johnny should be around cats, his dad is allergic" ugh! My cats are my family and will come before anything daycare related. They don't usually come out when the daycare kids are here but if they are spotted by a daycare kid they soon become the center of attention :) The kids just love them!

Spixie33
06-07-2012, 12:20 PM
We are getting a kitten in the next few months. I am waiting anxiously for the breeder to tell me it has been born. lol I feel like a nervous grandma or something.

I did give notice to the parents a few weeks ago to tell them that we will be getting a kitten later this year and that I wasn't sure to what extent the daycare kids would be interacting with our new pet. Nobody said anything or showed any concern. I think almost all my parents have dogs at home (and some have cats) so our future cat is probably no big deal to them

Cadillac
06-07-2012, 12:22 PM
I just got a new bengal kitten (a buddy for my other cat) It couldn't have worked out better the kitten loves the children and the babes are very good with him. he palys with what they play with, sits with us at circle. its great