PDA

View Full Version : Lice....yuck!!!

ckmommy
04-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Okay, so I got the call that everyone dreads. One of my DCK's has lice! I guess her big sister picked them up at school and thier entire family got infested over the long weekend. I got the call yesterday (sunday) saying that they have lice(as of saturday) and are treating. Sunday night I get a message saying that they are 100% lice and egg free. I have a hard time believing this as they have a 7-10 incubation period and I have no interest in getting lice in my house. I spent all day yesterday stripping beds and sanitizing every soft surface I could find to protect my family and those that I care for. Luckily, my family seems fine. We've combed through all our hair and no lice. My question is...when is it okay to let them back into daycare????

Spixie33
04-25-2011, 05:28 PM
I guess it depends on how well they treated. I think the pharmacist says that if you treat the eggs, use the lice comb very precisely to comb through for any eggs, do all the laundry properly then you should be okay to resume school etc. They are a nightmare to deal with...hard to get rid of and a costly issue when you add in all the treatments and laundry

playfelt
04-25-2011, 09:51 PM
IN theory if they have treated they are ok to come back. You could always suggest they tie their hair up in a towel like when they wash it and then be careful when removing it. It is likely that they will need to treat a second time next weekend as no matter how nit free they think they are just missing one is all it takes. If the whole family was effected there is a good chance they were so busy shampooing and combing that they didn't get to all the surfaces so reinfestation is a possibility. Making the child stay home isn't really going to help because for the next couple of days they are probably ok it is after that that it requires regular checking. Tell the mom that you reserve the right to do your own inspection at the door and if you are unsure you may refuse care.

giraffe
04-28-2011, 10:44 AM
When my dcchild had lice upon their return I did an inspection before letting them in the house. I had to send them home twice before they were truly nit free