PDA

View Full Version : Tempted to Quit

adelaide
11-01-2012, 08:56 AM
I decided to open a child care in my home back in May I think and started advertising almost right away. I managed to get one interview and that client signed up to start in September. It's now November and I still don't have anyone else. I've had some interests but no bites. Money is getting really tight. I'm 9 weeks pregnant and I'm kind of feeling crunched. When I decided to do the child care, I committed myself to try it out for at least a year. I felt that would be a good time frame to get a feel for it, to get more clients, and if I didn't enjoy it or it wasn't working out, I felt it was a fair time to commit to clients. I'm torn now. I don't want to quit after 2 months, after setting everything up, after having an awesome client sign up, after bonding with dcb and I don't want to be that "new" child care provider that makes it more difficult for other newbies to get clients because I've scared them off by quitting. But if I don't get anymore kids, we're not going to make it - especially when the baby comes. We are barely making our bills and that's only because Hubby got a raise. I'm feeling crunched because if I decide that the only way to make it is to get a job and get maternity leave, I have to do that by early Spring, preferably sooner so I'm not showing while I'm interviewing for a job. Again, I only have one client, so it'd only be one person that I'm potentially turning off of newbies and I would give her like a months notice. I just don't know what to do. I'm not naturally a quitter but this is scary and if it weren't for the baby on the way, I would definitely give it more time to see if more kids come along (I have had people interested in care for January - again, just interested, no bites) but again, I'm feeling crunched for time. Thoughts?

adelaide
11-01-2012, 09:03 AM
aaaand, as soon as I posted that, my phone rang for someone looking for care for two days a week. They're coming for an interview this weekend and seem great over the phone but now I'm a little more unsure because if I take them on and it's still not viable, that's another parent I'm letting down. But that could be hope for me to keep going. :S

kidlove
11-01-2012, 09:22 AM
adalaide. There are many things to take into consideration when choosing to open or close a day care. If you just can't make it financially and will be in a better position to take on an outside job...that may be the way to go. however, keep in mind that at some point things will pick up and getting started is always the hardest part, once you have been open for about a year, as long as you do your job well (which I'm sure you do) word of mouth will begin streaming kids through your door and you will look back on times like now and see them as a memory. :) It seems things may already be looking up having that call come in just as you posted this tells me only one thing...perhaps the good Lord has plans for you? Remember you do have a little one on the way and there is no better place than to be at home with your new baby...rather than giving someone else the pleasure of caring for him or her. I do understand the money thing and it can def have a huge effect on what you HAVE to decide rather than what you WANT to do. That being said, don't forget you are where you are for a reason, being home is such a blessing. I hope you can attempt to wait it out a little longer, There is absolutely nothing better than being able to stay home and raise your own babies. :) Good luck!!!

Crayola kiddies
11-01-2012, 10:04 AM
The first year is always the hardest and I find it comes in waves ..... This summer and fall has been extremely slow.... I was getting a little discouraged myself and I only have one spot to fill ..... I had 4 inquiries within a 24 hour period and I have two interviews for Sunday ..... So keep you chin up.

Hopefully your part time daily rate is more then your full time so that will help a bit and when your advertising don't put "new" in your ad and only advertise for one or two spots at a time. I most likely wouldnt contact someone advertising for 4 spots available. Good luck

mimi
11-01-2012, 12:30 PM
See adelaide, karma heard you and sent you a client. The first year is tough getting established and as you sit with one child in the beginning you do wonder if what you are doing is a good idea. Most businesses do not start off a roaring success, it takes time. Get your name out there and the calls will come. It did for all of us otherwise we wouldn't be in business. Good luck!

playfelt
11-01-2012, 01:15 PM
A big to weigh too is what kind of a job you would be looking for - then subtract the cost of childcare for any children you already have, transportation to work, etc. and would you still be making more money in the end than you are looking afte the one child. Even adding the part time child will take the edge off financially and yes the more you get into care the more others will feel comfortable about leaving their children with you. On the other hand considering the number of weeks you need to work to qualify for mat leave you don't have a lot of time to make a decision.

cfred
11-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Hang in there adelaide, if you can manage it. We've all been feeling the pinch this summer and fall. I've just bought a new house and am starting all over again. Believe me when I tell you that I was in a complete panic as I watched my savings dwindling. I'm nearly full now, but it was scary! If you want to stick with it, just keep advertising, get yourself out there with your daycare child and make it apparent that that's what you do. I go to play centres and hold my small, but bright pink, emergency file with me. Inevitably, someone will ask. Perhaps your current client would be happy to leave a testimonial for you? Get some nice posters up all over the place and thoroughly research local online sites to advertise through.

The ball is already rolling....you've got an interview. Yay! 2 days a week is better than a kick in the teeth, as my dad would say :)

Oh...one word of advice....beware the ones that come to an interview with a clipboard....ugh.

Momof4
11-01-2012, 06:31 PM
It's true that the first year is the most difficult. That happened to me too. Once you get the first great clients who love you and recommed you to their friends and co-workers it's smooth sailing. Do you have a website, because I swear it's the best tool you can use to attract new clients. Best of luck with your interview.