PDA

View Full Version : Dare I say .... Christmas. What are your plans for your Daycare Xmas Party?

bright sparks
11-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Please dont all groan and boo me for bringing the subject of Xmas up on November 2nd lol

Maybe I am a control freak, I can live with that, but I like to be organized and book my party at this time of year and notify parents sooner rather than later as I know social events fill up the calendar quickly at this time of year. I'd love to hear other peoples plans for their daycare party, I'll go ahead and start....

I usually hold the party at my place but having recently moved, I dont want the hassle in addition to the fact that more than half my boxes still stand unpacked as I didnt take any time off other than moving day. Yes what was I thinking??:huh:

This year I have booked my local Ontario Early Years Centre for a small price of $80 which includes 3 hours, all the toys, play stations and kiddie size table and chairs. Also full use of a full size kitchen and ample parking. I personally think this is very reasonably priced.

I always have 2 craft stations set up for parents to do with their children. One is always reindeer food and the other varies. Last year I did home made scented playdough. One was green with a peppermint oil and one was red with cinnamon. Cheap to make and a big hit. In addition to this, I set up a treasure basket which is obviously Xmas themed or last year instead I had a big basket with simple red and gold plastic baubles, santa hats and antlers. Treasure basket is much more varied in its xmas themed content.

We do this for the first hour and then Santa comes in ringing his bells. I have used the same santa the last 2 years and he stays for 30 minutes ($50) and I buy all the kids a nice keepsake book which I gift wrap and label. I leave them in a black bag in front of the garage door typically which he transfers into his sack and then one by one he has the children sit on his lap and he gives the gifts out. This 30 minutes can dramatically vary as I am sure you can ALL relate to based on many factors. We try for a group picture which is usually a challenge but lots of great pictures get snapped throughout the party and then after, all the parents email me the pictures which I pass on to all the parents.

Last year was the first year I fed my families. I made Xmas themed cake pops - xmas trees, snowballs and reindeers, and then the usual meatballs, cheese and meat platter, shrimp cocktail etc etc.

This may seem like to much work and money for some people, but I love to entertain people in my personal life so its just natural for me to want to do this for my daycare kids. I know a lot of parents don't appreciate the time, effort and money I put into it but I do it for the kids and for the families who DO appreciate me. Also, I secretly love that some of the less involved parents have to make more of an effort to play with their children in front of others. After all, Xmas is a time for families and celebrating them, regardless of your religious beliefs.

I'd love to hear others plans, and ideas for Xmas crafts.

:D

samantha3
11-02-2012, 09:36 AM
That sounds amazing! What do you do for your reindeer food? that sounds like such a cute idea!

BlueRose
11-02-2012, 09:41 AM
I finished all my Christmas shopping last night. :D. I am planning a party for my daycare, just not sure what we will be doing yet.

Wonderwiper
11-02-2012, 09:44 AM
I just wanted to say WOW!!!!!! I am the "Christmas a holic " in my family....shopping done and wrapped...but I would never plan so much for my daycare. I am so glad that you do it for you...we all know it will never be appreciated as much as it should! Sounds like a great party!

bright sparks
11-02-2012, 10:00 AM
That sounds amazing! What do you do for your reindeer food? that sounds like such a cute idea!

Reindeer food is rolled oats mixed with red and green sugar that I get from bulk barn. I mix it up in my sensory table, or a sand table works too.

I have old baby food jars or similar size containers from the dollar store. They each spoon their container full and then once its sealed they cover it in christmas stickers. Its a great tradition for parents to have with their kids of throwing the food out for the reindeers on Xmas eve.

bright sparks
11-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Wonderwiper and Valerie WOW!!! You clearly have way to much time on your hands lolol. Last year I was able to get my kids to make a list and write their letters to santa in the Summer break to give myself a headstart on saving versus purchasing at that point. I had everything bought by the end of November and I dont wrap until the week before so the paper isn't wrinkled. Also they believe in Santa so they dont get put under the tree. I dont have anywhere set up for hiding presents in my new house and as my kids are a bit older they go snooping. In addition to this its my sons birthday on Xmas Eve so I have more to plan for and purchase.

OMG I totally hijacked my own thread hahaha :laugh:

gcj
11-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Sounds great! Big, but if that's what you enjoy...

Actually glad you brought this up. I'm having a dilemma, actually. I've always done a late afternoon party (starting around 4 or earlier if all the parents can make it) We have little, simple snacks, play a game or 2, prepare a concert that we sing, then Santa comes. Last year my son had started school, but my daughter was still part of daycare, so we did it when my son had arrived, and it didn't go so well. He wanted NOTHING to do with the party, until Santa arrived...of course.

This year mine are BOTH in school, so my original thought was GREAT! I'll do it in the morning...lower key, just me and the kids and Santa will still come. UNTIL I realized how cruel that is to my kids. Santa is coming in THEIR house while their at school! :no: Don't think that'll work. BUT, they're no longer really part of daycare, and don't want to be.

Now, I do believe that Santa is going to their school...I have to find out more. In which case I could say that he'll see them there...here is just for daycare. But, still....seems so wrong. Unless I do a little party, but no Santa.

Sorry, I just hijacked this post with my party problem! Any thoughts? My kids are 7 and 5. And they would know if Santa came because they talk a lot with a 4 year old dcb when they arrived from school.

bright sparks
11-02-2012, 10:25 AM
gcj...IMO I think its just part of the reality that they can't have everything accomodated to them. This is a daycare party and they will have their own Xmas parties be it at school, church or other activities. Part of growing up is learning that not everything revolves around them...I am saying this as a parent to a 10 yr old and an 11yr old. I mean no offence.

I specifically do my party for the families rather than just a little event during the daycare day. I also love to take the opportunity to watch the kids with their families. It really is a pleasure and a joy. It seems like its a big affair, but it really isn't. A few finger foods, visit from Santa and some activities which I am so used to planning and running on a daily basis anyway. This is a great opportunity for everyone to interact including my kids and husband who all have a great rapor with the kids and parents. As a parent who at one time, many years ago now, had my own kids in daycare, I would have been very upset if I was not included in my childs visit with Santa. Thats just my opinion and I know for sure that there are so many parents who dont want to bother with these kind of things but I think its a great experience for the parents to, even if we don't see their appreciation.

mustbenuts
11-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Wow! You ladies go all out! I used to do a big thing (or I thought it was) and have the parents come and have food and gifts and the whole shibang. But after a year of no parents showing up/caring/ or even thanking me I am done. So now it's just a small thing, the last day of care before my 2 weeks off (so it will be the Friday before xmas). We have crafts, games (like scoop the snowballs with cotton balls and ladles), special treats, and as they each leave I send them home with a gift (usually a book and small toy). Sometimes a parent hands me a gift as well (some even have gifts for my own kids!) and that's nice but I don't expect it. I love the idea about the reindeer food and the kids taking that home, I am going to steal that idea, sounds like a good sensory activity too! Oh and before Christmas we usually work on a gift to make their parents from the kids, and each year it gets simpler/more expensive. To those of you who go all out, good for you and I hope the parents appreciate it!

gcj
11-02-2012, 10:32 AM
you're right. Thanks. I do enjoy having the parents here, too. If I stick to that, then based on schedules, my children are also here. But, even though they are no longer at daycare, they will always be a part of it...before and after school.

Last year was just hard to control with my son who was actually misbehaving throughout because he was completely uninterested....but he's a year older and it will be made VERY clear that he either behaves or stays upstairs if he's no interested....includ ing Santa's visit.

HOORAY! I full on party it is. I have all awesome families and like to show my appreciation as well. I know what you mean about it seeming like a big affair. I find all daycare "parties" are like that. It's really minimal in a way, but in the kids eyes, it's a huge deal!

bright sparks
11-02-2012, 10:44 AM
HOORAY! I full on party it is. I have all awesome families and like to show my appreciation as well. I know what you mean about it seeming like a big affair. I find all daycare "parties" are like that. It's really minimal in a way, but in the kids eyes, it's a huge deal!

Glad to hear. To many people seem to have had bad experiences so don't bother with anything now. Seems that most think that its to much like hard work from what I have read on other threads. I can understand this to a certain degree but its a real shame.

Just a note to add also, having the parents at the party makes it that much easier as they have to supervise and interact with their own child/children. I make this very clear when I hand the invitation to them and if they decide not to at the party, then unfortunatly for them, they are going to hear me say in front of everyone that they need to deal with their child. If you can't chit chat and care sufficiently for your child at the same time, then stop chit chatting :)

gcj
11-02-2012, 10:51 AM
this will be my 5th Christmas party with parents. I've always had full participation except for 1 last year. But that was my lack of judgment ever taking that girl on. Not because of the party, of course, but just not a match. The parents have always loved it and showed their appreciation. My only reason for questioning it was due to my kids being in school now....but I guess it's not time to get lame just because they're at school! :p

bright sparks
11-02-2012, 10:54 AM
gcj, let me know if you come up with any cute ideas for party activities. I like to change it up each year :)

gcj
11-02-2012, 11:15 AM
I'll probably play a matching game. I make up cards with Christmas related pictures and basically play "pick a gift" like at showers. We do one round picking from the pile, then one round trading with a friend. It ends up being the same gift ($ store type thing) wrapped differently. Also some kind pin the nose on Santa or something. Oh! We've done a snowball race in the past...parents vs kids. They wear big mitts and have to pick up as many fake snowballs and put them in a bucket. It's a team thing, so kids in one line & parents in another...then we recite a concert that we work on for weeks. It's really cute! I do love it! uh oh...I'm getting excited!

Momof4
11-02-2012, 11:54 AM
I have the entire month of Dec. set aside for Christmas crafting and stories and songs. The week before Christmas we have a birthday girl here, but we also have one day for our annual pj party and we always make special cookies. Another day we have our Grinch party and watch the movie and the children dress up as the Lou Who's and I'm the grinch right down to green clothes and green eyeshadow all over my face, hehe.

The children always make a big container and fill it over the month with presents for their parents and they put that under their tree so that they have something to give. I like teaching them the Christmas is about giving.

Mamma_Mia
11-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Small Marshmellows could be Snow Man poop! LMAO the kids love it!

mimi
11-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Last year I purchased little fake trees at the dollar store. I also bought a lot of tiny decorations there too (scrapbooking). I put all the decorations in a bowl and each day of December the kids could put one decoration on their assigned tree. A week before Christmas I let them take it home. They trees looked amazing and the kids were so proud of them. It cost a little more but it was so worth it.

playfelt
11-02-2012, 02:19 PM
I don't do a big party as my gang is small and well usually half of them aren't able to do much for games etc. We spread Christmas out over the month and do more crafts - make simple ornament type stuff alternate days which I keep here and pictures to colour to go home - they colour waiting for their turn to do craft. I get baskets from the dollar store and put a christmas tea towel or cloth of some sort in the bottom and then their crafts. I add in a few extra ones from me I have made just for them and a few candies, candy canes, etc. and this is sent home a few days before Christmas. It gives me the freedom to vary it each year and go with the flow and age/time restrictions - not to mention costs.

We do some baking in daycare and they get to take some home. I used to offer some to parents at pick up but too many moms on diets who politely refused which hurt the kids feelings so too bad I'll eat them all my self then - kind of the little red hen in reverse, lol.

Bugaboo
11-02-2012, 04:45 PM
I throw a party in the afternoon for the kids and their parents. Because its in the afternoon I usually only get one or two parents though. A couple weeks before I have the kids draw a name for a Secret Santa gift. Everyone buys a gift around the $20.00 mark and we open them at the party. We also play some games and do a Christmassy craft. For food I do it as simple as possible-- I order a cake and then set out some finger goods (veggies and dip, pita bread and hummus, that kind of thing) The hit of the party is the Secret Santa the kids love opening a present early.

mustbenuts
11-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Forgot to add that a big hit last year was that my daycare families and I adopted a local family fo Christmas Sharing. After getting agreement from all of them that they wanted to participate ( I didn't want anyone to feel like it was a burden pushed on them), I signed us up for a family in need and assigned each family some food to bring and told them the ages of the children in case they wanted to donate anything extra. They were all very generous and brought the food they were supposed to plus more, and also donated gift cards from Walmart and Toysrus. The dc kids were excited to see the donation box filling up.When my husband and I dropped it off the family was so thankful. It all went very well and I hadn't even thought about it until this thread came along and made me think about Christmas and how I need to set this up again, so Thanks!

mimi
11-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Mustbenuts, what a wonderful idea. How did you go about finding a family. Is there a specific agency you went through?

BrightEyes
11-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Oh November 2nd is not too early to bring up Christmas. Neither is November 1st ;) haha. As soon as November hits I am in Christmas mode!! :D Last night I watched 2 Christmas movies in warm winter PJs and curled up on the couch to kick off the season.............. .................... lol!

mustbenuts
11-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Mustbenuts, what a wonderful idea. How did you go about finding a family. Is there a specific agency you went through?

We have a local volunteer group that organizes it every year for the city. Families in need register with them and then I just emailed them, said we could take a family of 4 or 5 people and they gave me their info, kids ages etc. If you wanted to do something similar, try contacting your local salvation army or welfare agency to see if there is something similar. It's a great way to give back and show the little ones that Christmas is about more than getting presents.

playfelt
11-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Our church has what they call an Angel tree and each angel on the tree has the name of a family, the ages and ideas of what the children like. Some shopping centres have had a similar thing in the past. Contacting any church in your area and speaking to the minister and they will be familiar with what programs are available since they would be referring people in need to them or they may know of a family within their congregation that has needs which would be someone local in the neighbourhood.

I have done operation shoebox with the daycare before where we collected donations of things and made up boxes to be sent overseas - things like small toys, clothes, socks, toothbrush, soap, basic necessities and it was a good way to remind kids and parents that not everyone has the things we take for granted.

bright sparks
11-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Forgot to add that a big hit last year was that my daycare families and I adopted a local family fo Christmas Sharing. After getting agreement from all of them that they wanted to participate ( I didn't want anyone to feel like it was a burden pushed on them), I signed us up for a family in need and assigned each family some food to bring and told them the ages of the children in case they wanted to donate anything extra. They were all very generous and brought the food they were supposed to plus more, and also donated gift cards from Walmart and Toysrus. The dc kids were excited to see the donation box filling up.When my husband and I dropped it off the family was so thankful. It all went very well and I hadn't even thought about it until this thread came along and made me think about Christmas and how I need to set this up again, so Thanks!

This sounds wonderful!! Is there any chance you could give me the information. I think my own kids would also benefit from making this part of our family traditions at Xmas time.

bright sparks
11-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Oh November 2nd is not too early to bring up Christmas. Neither is November 1st ;) haha. As soon as November hits I am in Christmas mode!! :D Last night I watched 2 Christmas movies in warm winter PJs and curled up on the couch to kick off the season.............. .................... lol!

I am itching to wathc Xmas movies but am restraining myself. I absolutly love Xmas. The kiddies do so much in the month of December, the rest of the year must feel so inadequate lolol

Momof4
11-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Thank you to the ladies who told us about adopting or helping a family in need at Christmas. I am going to type a letter to my daycare parents right now! What a wonderful way to help children learn about the value of giving at Christmas and all year round.

BrightEyes
11-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Thank you to the ladies who told us about adopting or helping a family in need at Christmas. I am going to type a letter to my daycare parents right now! What a wonderful way to help children learn about the value of giving at Christmas and all year round.

I agree with Momof4, definitely a wonderful way to help children learn about the value of giving at Christmas and all year round!

bright sparks
11-03-2012, 07:10 PM
That is a great idea which I am definitely going to look into, but I'd love to hear from all the people who have commented on this but not said what they do for Xmas parties. Sorry to bump you back on topic as your comments are great, but this isn't so much about giving a gift, but more coming together with the children and their families and having the opportunity for parents to interact in activities and Xmas fun, not the giving of gifts. Looking forward to hearing others fun party ideas. Thanks

Momof4
11-03-2012, 09:47 PM
I already talked about my Christmas parties but I don't involve the parents, just the children brightsparks. To involve the parents that would mean I would have to entertain them after work and I don't want to do that.

bright sparks
11-03-2012, 10:17 PM
I already talked about my Christmas parties but I don't involve the parents, just the children brightsparks. To involve the parents that would mean I would have to entertain them after work and I don't want to do that.

Sorry Momof4, I must have read it wrong as I thought you were just explaining the crafts and activities you do throughout the month of December for Xmas. The grinch party you do with the kids sounds like a lot of fun and I love the idea of a basket that you and another person suggested to accumilate handmade gifts for the kiddies to give at Xmas. I think I'll do something like that for my 3 yr olds in my care who would understand and could give them out to their parents and siblings on Xmas morning. I do also send handmade decorations home earlier in the month so they have the chance to display them throughout the festive period.