PDA

View Full Version : What's for lunch today?

GymMom
11-07-2012, 11:24 AM
It's yogurt & bananas for morning snack but I have no idea what to make for lunch. What's for lunch at your house?

BlueRose
11-07-2012, 11:29 AM
we just finished fish sticks and veggies
we had yogurt and apple for morning snack.

momof2cuties
11-07-2012, 11:48 AM
We had Goulash! They sure love that!

Dreamalittledream
11-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Chilli! First time trying it with them. They were less impressed than I;)

crafty
11-07-2012, 11:56 AM
This AM we had bagels and fruits for lunch simple shepperd's pie. It's always a favorite and for snack ... carrot cake and apple juice. (just a treat for the mid-week)

Spixie33
11-07-2012, 11:59 AM
organic applesauce and goldfish crackers for snack

Rice and chicken stir fry for lunch with sliced bananas for dessert

bright sparks
11-07-2012, 12:00 PM
morning snack was apple and cinnamon pancakes, lunch was chicken pot pie with mashed rutabaga and carrots. Afternoon snack is veggie sticks and hummus

gcj
11-07-2012, 12:13 PM
am snack was sliced bananas in milk

Lunch was veggie soup with quinoa and bread with cheese, with kiwi for dessert

pm snack will probably be yogourt....or rice cakes...?

KingstonMom
11-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Morning snack was applesauce and pear slices, lunch was pita pizza pockets with fruit cocktail. Havent planned PM snack yet! lol

dodge__driver11
11-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Am Snack was toast and PB with nanners (as my son calls them for fun)
Lunch was home made fries and ham and cheese melt
PM snack willl be granola bars, oranges

monkeymama
11-07-2012, 12:32 PM
am snack strawberries and rice cakes
lunch scrambled eggs, sausage and hashbrowns....breakf ast for lunch is a favorite around here!
pm snack oatmeal and chocolate chip muffins and yogurt

BrightEyes
11-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Am Snack: Yogurt with Strawberries
Lunch: Sweet Potato, Green Beans, Scrambled Eggs and Spinach, Whole Wheat Toast and Blueberries for dessert.
Pm Snack: Cheerios and Mango

Inspired by Reggio
11-07-2012, 01:39 PM
AM snack ... Quinoa Coconut Raisin Porridge with side of pears
Lunch .... an evil field trip treat as it is my last week with low ratios ... so Happy meal with a side of cucumbers, cherry tomatoes and strawberries (yes am anal and I bring fruit and veggies to McDonald's so they at least get a balanced plate with the evil treat)
PM snack .... Mango Smoothies with zucchini pumpkin mini muffins

fruitloop
11-07-2012, 03:18 PM
We had organic yogurt with fruit for am snack, organic chicken fingers with sweet potato fried and 12 grain toast for lunch. Pm snack will me organic bunny grahams, cheese, organic rice crackers and maybe some craisins.

Momof4
11-07-2012, 04:23 PM
We had oatmeal/raspberry muffins & grapes for breakfast, fish sticks and broccoli & carrots, blueberries & bananas & granola bars for lunch and cheese and apples for afternoon snack. My muffins and fish sticks were homemade of course.

busydaycarelady
11-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Morning snack - granola bars, raisins, grapes and milk.
Lunch - fettuccine with Alfredo sauce, cheese cubes and broccolli with ranch

GymMom
01-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Revisiting this topic as lunchtime is 2 hours away and I need inspiration! Normally I have a plan, but today is a fly by the seat of my pants kind of day! We had cereal bars and yogurt for our am snack and probably bananas and graham crackers for pm snack.

cfred
01-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Breakfast was Quinoa pancakes and bananas. Lunch was gnocchi with Alfredo and blue cheese, cheddar cubes, broccoli and tomatoes. Snack is apple cinnamon muffins laced with more quinoa.

We do vegetarian mainly so quinoa is in LOTS of our stuff for the protein.

Spixie33
01-16-2013, 12:34 PM
We had "Hamburger soup" today for the first time. It was a hit with most of the group. I will be making it again. I served apple slices and cheese on the side.

http://richestoragsbydori.b logspot.ca/2012/09/hamburger-soup.html

It was so yummy that my own family ate most of it already last night. lol :laugh: I couldn't keep them out of the pot.

monkeymama
01-16-2013, 12:36 PM
am snack- orange slices and crackers
lunch- honey ham, mashed potatoes and carrots. cookies for dessert!
pm snack- apple slices and yogurt

sunnydays
01-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Breakfast was Quinoa pancakes and bananas. Lunch was gnocchi with Alfredo and blue cheese, cheddar cubes, broccoli and tomatoes. Snack is apple cinnamon muffins laced with more quinoa.

We do vegetarian mainly so quinoa is in LOTS of our stuff for the protein.

My kids all love quinoa too...we eat it at least twice a week :) Even those that eat junk at home, learn to love quinoa at my house. I would love the recipe for quinoa pancakes...and Reggio's recipe for quinoa porridge...mmmm...so unds yummy!

sunnydays
01-16-2013, 12:39 PM
I forgot to add what I served today: morning snack/breakfast-whole wheat English muffin with Wow butter (it's like peanut butter but made with soy and no nuts) and a banana, lunch-teriyaki salmon, quinoa and cauliflower with cheese, pm snack: cantaloupe and plain yogurt

Inspired by Reggio
01-16-2013, 12:49 PM
... I would love the recipe for quinoa pancakes...and Reggio's recipe for quinoa porridge...mmmm...so unds yummy!

I would love the pancake recipe as well ~ always love to try new ways to use it

Here is the Porridge recipe ~ it is suppose to serve two adults so I double it for daycare my crew and if there is 'left over' than my other half has it for next day breakfast.

http://howdoyoucookquinoa.c om/581/cinnamon-raisin-quinoa-porridge-cooked-in-coconut-milk/#

Cinnamon Raisin Quinoa Porridge

1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. honey
1/2 tbsp. margarine
dash of salt
2 tbsp. raisins

Bring the milk to a boil. Add all the other ingredients, lower heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes.

I use the same basic recipe and than will I add different things for variety ~ so craisins, peaches, apple, mango, coconut flakes, almond or pecan pieces

Spixie33
01-16-2013, 12:49 PM
My kids all love quinoa too...we eat it at least twice a week :) Even those that eat junk at home, learn to love quinoa at my house. I would love the recipe for quinoa pancakes...and Reggio's recipe for quinoa porridge...mmmm...so unds yummy!

I would love the recipe for the quinoa pancakes too :) Please

Inspired by Reggio
01-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Today our menu was featuring the letter H sound ... which helps us to try new things as we seek out foods with our Letters of the month sound in them.

Hummus on Toast and Apples
Hungryman Goulash (beef stew) with a Parmesan almond flour bun and Pears
Hazelnut Muffins and Cantaloupe

cfred
01-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Sure Sunnydays....though there's not much to the pancake recipe. All I did was make my regular pancakes from scratch, then add cooked quinoa, then cook the pancakes.

Favourite Pancakes

1 1/4 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1.5 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 tbsp oil
1 cup cooked quinoa

Combine egg, milk and oil. Add all dry ingredients, mix. I tend to mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl before adding to wet ingredients. Add cooked quinoa and stir just enough to mix. Cook in hot, oiled frying pan. I had to use a lid on the pan to trap the heat to facilitate more thorough/quick cooking.

I also add cooked quinoa to my muffin batter....try to hide the stuff wherever I can.

Skysue
01-16-2013, 01:08 PM
am snack: whole grain toast with all natural P.B, yoghurt, pear, banana slices and blackberries

Lunch: 4 cheese ultra thin crust pizza with cucumber, carrots, celery, avacodo and apple slices

pm snack: apple sauce with orange slices and graham crackers

kidlove
01-16-2013, 01:34 PM
left over stew here! yum, always better the second day!

Dreamalittledream
01-16-2013, 02:51 PM
AM Snack: Melon, wheat breadsticks & yogurt (to dip in)
Lunch: Broccoli & cheese quiche (one of their favs!), pears
PM Snack: Rice crackers with applesauce (to dip in)

Sandbox Sally
01-16-2013, 03:21 PM
I made a huge beef barley stew last night. We had it for dinner, and it was good. All three daycare kids snubbed it today. :unsure:

Sandbox Sally
01-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Recipe for broccoli and cheese quiche please??:D

cfred
01-16-2013, 03:57 PM
I have a recipe for quiche that takes literally 10 mins to make. I'll do several at a time and freeze them. My sister brought the recipe home in a cookbook her class made in grade 3 I think it was.....been using it ever since!

Impossible Quiche

1/2 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cups milk
3 eggs
1/2 cup Bisquick
1 cup shredded cheese

Put everything thing but the cheese and your selected topping in the blender. Blend for 30 seconds or so. Pour into pie plate. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Push cheese gently below surface with back of spoon. Sprinkle with topping of choice and push gentle below surface with back of spoon. Bake at 350F for 45 mins.

Yup...that simple :)

I also like to switch up the toppings. Some really good combos are:

Thinly sliced asparagus with goat cheese
Mushroom with a smoked cheese of some sort
Tomato, spring onion and feta
Broccoli with cheddar and blue cheese.

When using specialty cheeses, I tend to use much less. With stronger cheeses, a little goes a long way. Also, for cost effectiveness, use mainly cheddar with a sprinkling of specialty cheese.