PDA

View Full Version : Free on-line developmental checklists

gcj
11-08-2012, 07:05 AM
After another post yesterday it got me thinking about developmental checklists and how useful they can be. Reggio mentioned Ndds, which I looked into and LOVE. I just can't help but think that there has to be something equal to this online that's free. Anyone know of any? I googled and couldn't really find anything.

Thanks!

Inspired by Reggio
11-08-2012, 07:09 AM
Nippisng is FREE in Ontario ~ at least they use to be? You can get them at any OEYC. If they are charging in other provinces for it send me your email address and I will forward you the PDF versions I have.

Also the Ontario Early Learning Framework has a developmental continum that is FREE as well
http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/childcare/oelf/

gcj
11-08-2012, 07:17 AM
yeah, you can either buy packs for each age group 100 for $8 or a pocketbook for $25. I'm in Quebec. It would take a lifetime to ever need 100 in each age group. I would really appreciate if you sent that to me. I'll message you my email address. SO appreciated. I think that this is a great tool that I want to use in my program!

bright sparks
11-08-2012, 07:32 AM
When I brought NDD up in the other thread, it was specifically for a caregiver with question marks about a childs development and possible delays. The checklists are definitely free. You register and download for free so you don't even have to go anywhere to get them. As you are in Quebec it kind of makes sense that there may be a minimal charge for out of province access. I am glad you found my information helpful and feel free to contact me with your email address and I can forward them to you from age 6 mths to 4 years

gcj
11-08-2012, 10:12 AM
oh yeah...sorry, it was bright sparks that put up that link....

gcj
11-08-2012, 10:17 AM
and I still couldn't do it, so I checked in the FAQ and it can only be downloaded in Ontario, but not to worry, Reggio hooked me up. I just need my hubby to help me open and print....it's being all weird...but at least I have it now. Thanks. Can't wait to start using this awesome tool!

bright sparks
11-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Glad to be able to recommend it to others. I find it very helpful :)

Momof4
11-08-2012, 04:15 PM
I have printed out the Nippissing assessment forms before but find them too general and vague. I never used them because I was hoping they would be more in depth. I find daily chats with the parents effective.

Cocoon
11-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Could I also have it please? Thanks

bright sparks
11-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Cocoon, send me a message with your email and I will forward them to you :)

Inspired by Reggio
11-09-2012, 06:48 AM
I have printed out the Nippissing assessment forms before but find them too general and vague. I never used them because I was hoping they would be more in depth.....

Just to clarify for others the intent of their use is they are meant to be general 'overview' of development as they only cover 'red flag' areas of development and are meant to take less than 10 minutes in a 'Dr office' or Well Baby clinic or quick per child to complete in a classroom of 10, 15 or 24 children in a licensed setting in order to get unbiased conversations going with a parent where it is not 'our opinion' but they indicate if you have a certain number of NO's at the end of any age group that your child may need to have eyes and ears, hearing checked as well as other screening tests done by the Dr just to make sure everything is developing properly tests they do not normally do unless there is 'issue'. Although I understand that many family Drs do not bother to use them cause well they try to keep appointments to less than 5 minutes these days so unless the parent complains they assume kids are 'fine' :rolleyes:

Anyway if anyone is looking for a more in depth developmental continuum for your programs I would definitely check out the Ontario Early Learning Framework ... the continuum starts on page 23 with infants and the first section covers more of the principles and practices behind the Framework. It covers all areas of development and gives both the the 'indicator' of skill as well as a few ideas on what to do with the child to promote that skill development to get you going if needed.

While I do the Nippising with clients it is the Continuum I use for documentation and authentic portfolio development and planning the environment to ensure children are meeting indicators.