PDA

View Full Version : The Childcare Crisis

Inspired by Reggio
11-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Was just having an interesting debate on a friends FB status about the right for 'NHL' to strike and demand even more salary and other benefits and well as always, at least with me, it brings to the forefront how screwed up our VALUES are as human beings and what we are willing to 'invest' our hard earned money on!

We, as a society, willingly pay disgustingly inflated ticket prices for entertainment and related merchandise of athletes, actors, musicians in order to support this increasingly sorry but inflated sense of WORTH for what they are entitled to ask for their 'services' and yet on just about every media there are discussions about how expensive CHILDCARE is despite the fact that those of who work in the industry make just on or slightly above minimum wage despite at least in the 'centre' arena being regulated as a 'professional' with required education, training and now in Ontario paying to belong to a regulatory body in order to 'practice' our profession!

I just wonder what would happen to the state of an economy, which is now so highly driven by TWO income earners in a household in order to support itself, would be if childcare providers across Canada and the States UNITED and chose to strike for better pay let alone to dare to strive for sick days, benefits or OH MY a PENSION!

This video created by a Childcare Advocacy group really made me chuckle about the WHAT IFS and while it is based on over dramatization of satire like all satire it has TRUTH within in about what would happen if we all 'walked off the job' Monday morning ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGpEXKgU20A&sns=tw

bright sparks
11-10-2012, 04:59 PM
That could quite easily be the explanation for all the worlds problems. What you might ask....."The Child Care Crisis"(said in a very deep voice) ;D LMAO I laughed till I nearly fell off the chair.

bright sparks
11-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Aside from the obvious humour in the way this message has been delivered, this is fantastic work, and I only wish more local childcare councils exsisted and ran similar campaigns to bring awareness to those who do not use childcare services but still insist on judging the industry and also to those parents who think that we are their employees and that we are somehow less significant than they are. What would happen if we all went on strike?? I'm pretty sure everyone would be screwed, people would be fired and companies would go bankrupt. But what the heck do I know...I'm just a babysitter, right?!?! LOL :-) Thanks for sharng Reggio, that was fantastic!

Inspired by Reggio
11-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Actual Canada has a Childcare Federation made up of councils and professional associations from across all our provinces ... I love reading about how different each province is and keeping up to date with how different ones are advocating for children and families and well the profession in general!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5657406573/?ref=ts&fref=ts

mamaof4
11-10-2012, 08:05 PM
this is genius. in investing in early childcare we are investing in the very future.