PDA

View Full Version : Contract

Wonderwiper
11-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Hi ladies! Just wondering....if you have found someone who feels like a fit who wants the space, how long after giving them a contract do you wait? I am closed at the moment on mat leave but have started interviewing because I am extremely picky! I am interviewing for next year and don't care if clients start in January or next December so I can wait for ages....I just don't like leaving things hanging! Thanks and hope you are all enjoying your weekend!

Inspired by Reggio
11-10-2012, 06:47 PM
I do not wait for a contract to be signed to be honest ~ while there is a 'sample' on my website for review so they can reflect on that during the interview process I do not give out an official one to take home they are signed here in my home at the time of commiting to the spot!

So basically I interview a batch of interested parties and let them know I will be making a decision for this space on X date so if they are interested in the spot too to please let me know before that date so I can factor that in MY decision making process.

Than once I offer them a space in my program than they have 1 business day to commit to it by coming back to sign the contract and secure it with a two week non refundable security deposit ~ if they are not ready to make their decision or are waffling I let them know that I will be offering the space to the NEXT best match from that interview batch.

Than if there were no other 'matches' from that batch I re post my ads and than I keep interviewing to fill the spot until I have a signed contract and deposit in hand!

I honestly am not willing to chase or wait on clients cause that to me is a red flag that they do not value what I have enough to do what it takes to secure a spot .... if they are the right client and the right match they will be committed to securing the space ASAP verses risk loosing it!

Wonderwiper
11-10-2012, 08:11 PM
That's sounds like a better idea Reggio!! Think I will have people sign contracts with me and give the deposit at the same time!

Momof4
11-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Wow, it's wonderful that you can be picky and wait for the perfect families, that's awesome! Good for you because when you are relaxed and not in any kind of desperate mode you will definitely attract the clients you want to have in your life. Never accept anybody who you will have to worry about following your rules and policies or giving you any grief because it just isn't worth it. Accept the families who share the same childrearing philosophies as you and will work with you as a team.

Raising other people's children is a challenge and very different from raising your own children. Running a daycare is a learning experience every day.

I have a Mom on mat leave who will be coming back next Feb. and has already paid me her deposit and signed the contract so yes, that's how I handle things. I have all my spaces full and a child will be leaving when her baby starts so my fees are all being paid in full right now. Otherwise, I would have charged this mat leave Mom a $200/month holding fee until she was planning on coming back. Her son left in Sept. for JK and I accepted a baby to fill his space or she would have been paying the holding fee. It all worked out perfectly. I hope that makes sense to you!

So if you plan on opening in Jan. for instance and you have somebody who wants to start in Feb. charge them the deposit and a holding fee until their start date to hold their space.

Spixie33
11-11-2012, 01:27 PM
At the end of an interview I usually ask the parents to commit to a timeline for a decision and say something like "When do you plan to make your decision? I am also interviewing and just want to have an idea in mind on what time frame I would hear back from you."

Usually I try to give them a week and say that I will probably be deciding within a week on which families I felt the most compatible with. I remind them in a casual way that in order to enroll I would need to hear back and then get a signed contract, deposit and forms back in order to consider the spot taken.

Wonderwiper
11-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Yes momof4, I am very thankful that my daycare income is for extras and that we can get by without it!! Obviously I would prefer to be making money sooner rather than later but am happy that I don't feel I have to take the first fish that bites!

Momof4
11-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Yes momof4, I am very thankful that my daycare income is for extras and that we can get by without it!! Obviously I would prefer to be making money sooner rather than later but am happy that I don't feel I have to take the first fish that bites!
That's wonderful because you can choose the families who will respect you and will follow all your rules and hopefully you won't have too much to vent about because you'll be happy and content!