PDA

View Full Version : Bumps and Bruises

mamaof4
04-30-2011, 08:21 AM
They are a part of a kids life right? What do you do when they happen? At what point do you call the parent?

mom-in-alberta
05-01-2011, 08:14 PM
As a mom of 3 (soon to be 4), I absolutely know that bumps and bruises are going to happen. And I hope that my clients know that, too. Obviously, the more "seasoned" parents are a little more understanding of it, while first time parents of the 10-12 month olds are still getting used to it. :)
My general rule is; any injury that is going to leave a mark (bruise, scrape, etc) gets written up via an incident report. I know it seems like a lot of paperwork, but I would rather have it in a file than have a parent screaming at me later.
I have not had to call a parent to come pick up their kid in response to a dayhome accident, thankfully. I think I would just use my judgement in that case. If the child was utterly inconsolable even after 15-20 min of comforting, or if I thought that medical attention was necessary (but not an emergency).

Spixie33
05-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Unfortunately bumps and bruises do happen especially with toddlers in the 15-25 months area. I do the same by writing up an incident report of it is anything like a goose egg or anything that might look alarming.

When I was a daycare user rather than provider I would be concerned whenever my child was injured but now that i am on the other side of the equation I can see how easily it happens.

Every time I fill out a report with a heavy heart and ask myself what I could have done to prevent it. I feel so awful to tell the parents that anything happened because I feel like I let them down. I really have to tell myself it is normal.

I had an incident in September where I had an injury on the first day that a 3 year old was in my care. I took the gang to the park and I was concentrating more on the 18 month olds and making sure they don't get injured. Lo and behold it was the 3 year old who was on the climber and suddenly let out a scream. She banged her head on the climber pretty bad and it swelled up pretty good. I wasn't sure whether to call or not but decided against it because the girl seemed okay after I took her home and iced the area. I was really scared when the 5 pm pick up came and figured I would never see them again considering it was my 1st day with them but luckily the parents were understanding and accepted my profuse apologies. Talk about a bad first day and first impression :no::ohmy:

lilac
05-04-2011, 06:01 PM
My very first day of daycare I had a 3 yr old girl, we had survived the park, but she was sitting on the bench while I was emptying out her shoe of sand and I have no clue how it happened but she kinda rolled a bit, scrunched into a ball and fell through the space between the back of the bench and the seat... hit her head on the pavement..... she was fine, and mom was fine, and later I found out that she had 2 left feet and was so clumsy that she would literally just be standing there and fall down!!