PDA

View Full Version : Acquaintance visits

MonkeyPrincess
11-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Do any of you do acquaintance visits before a child formally starts care? You know- where the child comes over for a visit or two to get to know you and other kids before they start coming to you on a regular basis? I do and i am glad i do, especially for the younger kids, ie toddlers.

Do you charge for acquaintance visits? how long are the kids usually there for? I do charge for the acquaintance visits and they are usually only for a few hours or half day, so i charge half my daily rate. What do you think?

Lou
11-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Yes, I do...usually 2-3 before the child starts if the parents have time before the official start date. It helps them to learn that my face is a friendly one before they just get dropped off on the first day. The visits are usually 1 hour and I'm flexible on when they take place (mornings, evenings, weekends) and I do not charge for them.

Dreamalittledream
11-13-2012, 10:23 AM
I do the same (at no charge). Great for the older ones, I find. In my experience, if a baby is going to be a screamer...he just is...and no amount of transition helps...he/she just needs time to get over that.

treeholm
11-13-2012, 10:24 AM
I do the same at no charge as well. The child comes with the parent for about an hour the first time, then the parent leaves the child for about an hour the second time.

apples and bananas
11-13-2012, 11:15 AM
I offer them... not all clients take them. I don't require them. Really it's not difference to me, they'll either transition well or they'll cry all day. If a child is here without a parent I charge. I offer a half day rate and only allow transitional visits in the am and pick up must be by 11, otherwise it interfers with lunch.

Momof4
11-13-2012, 11:24 AM
I have the Mom & the child visit for an hour or two close to the day the child is going to start at no charge. But then I like to start the child full days and only allow the parent to stay for about 1/2 an hour maximum or the baby gets really upset. It's so wonderful to have a contented child come into the daycare and be happy from the first day. Right now I'm going through the opposit, a little guy who is a real screamer!

Inspired by Reggio
11-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Yup ... I do several with the parent 'on site' but not necessarily in program for FREE to get the babe use to be hearing, for me to learn their cues while parent is still around to ASK and so forth and than depending on how much time we have before the mother 'starts work' and takes possession of the space I suggest that the week or two leading up to mama having to return to work that we start coming 'daily' but on a weaned in schedule ... so first days 1-2 hours with mom on call if babe is screaming inconsolable and than work up to stay for lunch, than stay for nap and than full day as normal as they are coping better with each progression this way by the time they are full days and coming full time they are not crying ALL day cause they trust mama comes back, I have learned how to meet their needs cause mama is close by as reference and so forth ... once they are being LEFT here in my ratio without a parent I charge a prorated rate for that wean in schedule from hourly rate, to half day rate to the full day rate.