PDA

View Full Version : Questions about playschool...... Advice?

busydaycarelady
11-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Good morning!

My daughter is 3.5 and has been in her first year of playschool since September. Initially she was apprehensive but after a week loved it. She goes twice a week, every now and then 3 times to make up for a stat that fell on a playschool day. Classes ar 4 hours and she brings along a lunch.

All was well until about 2 weeks ago, she had an accident. She didn't appear to be bothered by it, until TWO classes later. Two classes later, teacher tells me she cried for 2 hours straight. Doesn't know why. My daughter later tells me she feels bad about 'peeing on the floor a little while ago'. I tell her not to worry, it happens and no one else likely remembers it even happened. Next class, she cries hysterically for 2 hours. Cannot stop. Teacher calls me to pick her up. I go to the school. Kids are going to the playground so I say why don't we join them(I also have 2 daycare kiddos with me). We go. One thing I notice though is 1)Teacher does not remind kids to pee before going out. 2)While outside it is bloody cold, kids start to complain but teacher loves being outdoors and instead suggests a game. I love being outdoors too, but we can't always spend tons of time outdoors when it's cold and there is a really cold wind. So, kids begin to get cranky. I say we are leaving, its too cold, so she decided to head back in. 3) My one daycare girl is VERY affectionate and kept running up to her and hugging her legs and the teacher never hugged her back and seemed annoyed by it. I know it can get a bit annoying, but I thought she could've at least acknowlegded her(maybe thats just me though).

It has now been about 2.5 weeks since her accident, maybe even 3 and she constantly cries at home telling me I hate playschool. I never want to go back. I want to stay home. I've tried talking with her about her worries(as much as you can with a 3 year old), trying to boost her confidence, tried a reward system where if you don't cry at school(or only a little) you get a sticker and after 3 you get a small prize and after 10 you get another small prize). No go. I initially put her in because she hates being anywhere without mommy and I wanted her to get a little used to being apart from me before she goes into kindergarten. And all was going great until this accident. She acts the same as usual at home until she starts to worry about going back to playschool. I've asked teacher if she maybe reacted with dismay at the accident, she told me of course not and acted all offended, but at hone if she has one I don't make a huge deal of it and she is fine. Teacher seems adamant that it must be a problem originating at home, but nothing has changed here. I used to think she was a nice lady to the kids, but upon observing her I think she may keep herself at quite a distance and myabe expect too much of them, but I just don't know what to think. The kids do tell me she is nice. And I think maybe I might be being oa bit questioning of her because of this sudden change. I do not believe she is mean to the kids at all or neglectful, but maybe she isn't as sensitive? as my kid is used to? I don't want my girl in a situation she hates, but I also don't want her to give up on something immediately because she was embarassed(or is this too early to teach a lesson like that/an innapropriate time). I'm not sure if I should just pull her out, or try until the end of the month. *sigh* Maybe I can just start leaving her more with grandparent, uncles, aunts because I REALLY do need and want her to get over her issues with having no mommy around at times. ITs even a big deal to leave her with my mom sometimes. I'm not trying to be insensitive. Advice? Opinions? All are welcome.

Thanks so much!!!!!!!