PDA

View Full Version : French help please!

sunnydays
11-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Okay, I need a little help from those of you who speak fluent French! I speak an intermediate level and my husband is francophone and my kids go to French school (but my little guy is in Maternelle so can't help me much yet and my husband is not from Canada, so sometimes doesn't know either in teh context of Canadian French). I have a 2 year old who speaks only French in my daycare and we do okay most of the time...he understands my French and I understand his. But, I often tell the kids to "just pretend"...for example when they ar eplaying with play food or playdough...I don't want them to actually put it in their mouths. How would I say "pretend" in French? I asked his mom, but she didn't come up with much of use...he obviously doesn't already know the word as she has never used it with him. I might just use the English and he will catch on, but would like to know what my fellow Francophone caregivers use! Thanks!

crafty
11-16-2012, 08:29 AM
There isin't really a word ....You need to say ''Faire samblant de manger... '' or 'Faire comme si on mangeait ...''

I"m french and I say this all the time ;0)

Crayola kiddies
11-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Did you try google translate

bright sparks
11-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Crayola, its not as simple as translating as a lot of the language doesn't translate literally.

Crayola kiddies
11-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Can't you tell I'm not french ?? Lol
I should ask my 8 yr old he speaks French all day !

bright sparks
11-16-2012, 09:23 AM
My 11 yr old daughter is in french immersion and 2 years ago I took a french grammar course at night school....super hard. Thats the way I know that theres so many exceptions lol

crafty
11-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Yeah a lot of the times there's no actual words to translate to but more like a combination of actions/verbs.

gcj
11-16-2012, 09:59 AM
yeah, crafty's right, except it's with an e...on fait semblant. Au jourd'hui je fais semblant que je veux travailler! :laugh:

crafty
11-16-2012, 11:06 AM
LOL Oh yes ... sorry I can't even write in french now ... I guess aujourd'hui je fais semblant être Française;)

sunnydays
11-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Merci beaucoup!!! I'm not sure if that will roll of my tongue easily...but I'll try it. If not, I'll resort to the English since he doesn't know the term in French either yet unless his previoud daycare provider used it...which is possible. I have had to resort to English for a few things...he refused to say "si te plait" (sorry for my spelling), but will say "please" so I go with that....I guess he doesn't have to say it at home. Same for "sorry"...I was trying to get him to say it in French in every way I could think of and just a blank stare...until I talked to his mom and found out they've never made him say it...so he now says that in English as well as it's a new concept to him anyway. And yes, google translator is okay for some words, but some concepts are not easily translated...and then you have to know which word or phrase to choose out of the list given...it depends on context!

crafty
11-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Hey Sunnydays ... do the parents insist you speak to the child in french ? Coz kids will learn fast and they will learn by watching the others speak as well so he will immitate them., If it was me, I would want my child to learn a second language as well. So, just use the terms you are comfortable with...he'll get it after a few repetition.

By the way if you find a good way to get him to say please and thanks (eng and french non matter) ...let me know coz I have this 2 year old who refuses to say it... he's they only one after 2months still will not say it.

sunnydays
11-16-2012, 01:40 PM
No they don't insist on it...but I like it because I am now practicing my French and the other kids are learning it too :) He only started with me two months ago, so had no English at that time...he is picking it up already from the other kids and mixes the language now...he often says things like "C'est coming" when we are waiting for my son's bus...so cute :) I just refuse to give them whatever it is they want until they say "please" and then I hold onto it until they say "thank you"...now it does take awhile before they say it without me having to remind them...but eventually they get there:yes:

Hey Sunnydays ... do the parents insist you speak to the child in french ? Coz kids will learn fast and they will learn by watching the others speak as well so he will immitate them., If it was me, I would want my child to learn a second language as well. So, just use the terms you are comfortable with...he'll get it after a few repetition.

By the way if you find a good way to get him to say please and thanks (eng and french non matter) ...let me know coz I have this 2 year old who refuses to say it... he's they only one after 2months still will not say it.

Momof4
11-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Sunnydays, I have a baby who has just joined my daycare whose parents only speak French at home. My high school French is pretty much long forgotten, but I'm teaching him English and at his age he's soaking it up like a little sponge. I just thought it was funny to read your post and I may have to come to you some day soon to ask about French if this little boy starts saying words I don't understand.

sunnydays
11-17-2012, 07:15 AM
I have a baby whose family speaks only French at home too...but he doesn't talk yet, so it's not really an issue. I speak both English and French to him and I know he will learn. The other one is older and a big talker, so I definitely need to use French to communicate. If I didn't speak French at all, I am sure he would learn English faster...but as I said, I like being forced to speak it :) And it feels good that he understands me...makes me feel like my french is not that bad :laugh:

Sunnydays, I have a baby who has just joined my daycare whose parents only speak French at home. My high school French is pretty much long forgotten, but I'm teaching him English and at his age he's soaking it up like a little sponge. I just thought it was funny to read your post and I may have to come to you some day soon to ask about French if this little boy starts saying words I don't understand.

SJMeer
04-06-2017, 10:59 AM
You can say like the others mentioned, "Faire semblant de..." or you can say "On va pretendre de faire ceci ou cela... It's from the verb "Pretendre" which means pretend in English. Hope that helps :)