PDA

View Full Version : Terible two's

Julie
05-04-2011, 04:21 PM
I Have a two year old boy im looking after and not sure how to discipline him. He wont listen when i say not to do something he just continues on doing it till i get him and put him on time out. I do explain why he's there and he says sorry but then five min later he's doing it again.

If i say no to him he throws his cars that he likes then i take them away then he'll throw him self on the floor and i just ignore him. but he will continue to do this over and over say he's hungry i'll give him something then he'll throw it or push it away and say he doesn't want it. i put it away then he wants it i learned the hard way on that i kept getting and trying to get him to eat it but he would do the same thing so i wont get it again offered once and thats it till next snack or meal.

Today he decided he would strip in his playpen im glad he didn't pee or poop in it. I almost started to laugh but just put everything back on and put him back for nap time.

Is there anything else i can try to get him to listen and not act out he gets alot of attention from me i always play games with him get him to help me with things. But he keeps acting like this and it's mind boggling. Any advice would help even if someone said duck tape just kidding. i need help.

Spixie33
05-04-2011, 05:33 PM
I think it is good that you are standing your ground on not giving in to changing the meals or other thinsg he fusses about. You can't cave into these little people :)

TWo year olds are a mixture of energy, emotion. They want to be independent and yet they are still dependent. They also still have issues expressing themselves and controlling their frustration and feelings so you get tantrums of frustration.

I don't do time outs until 3 yr old. I don't think a 2 year old really grasps the logic yet. You can't explain why you are giving a time out to a 2 year old and have them understand the logic behind it. I find that redirection and distraction from the behavious still works best for 2 year olds. Sometimes the tantrums happen and I let it go on for a moment and then try to redirect. If the redirection doesn't work then I wait another minute and wait again

All the things that this child is doing are actually very normal for this age. Of course some kids seem to cruise through the 2s with little to no issues and others struggle their way through but either way it is all normal. Just take a deep breath and realize that it is all part of this toddlers development. You just have to try and guide him as best you can

FS2011
06-09-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm having the same problem. One of my dck is 2 and she is always throwing toys, hitting and never shares, she screams MINE and then hits or has a tantrum. I understand it's normal toddler development but how do I teach the other kids that see this that it's not acceptable and how can I cope with the rollercoaster of emotions? Any suggestions would be great!

playfelt
06-10-2011, 06:42 AM
I do a lot of redirection but do it physically not just verbally. Pick the child up and move them somewhere else in the room while verbally telling them what is not acceptable. Then once you have the group separated you can enforce the child staying where they were put which is similar to time out but does not deny the child the right to play just has them playing somewhere different. Often the picking up which holds the child close and the carrying helps to diffuse the situation. How stiff the child stays or how limp while carrying gives you an idea of what other measures you might need to take or suggests where to move the child too - a limp child goes to a more favourite area, a stiff child NEVER gets put to play with blocks,lol.

mom-in-alberta
06-10-2011, 06:35 PM
I do a lot of redirection but do it physically not just verbally. Pick the child up and move them somewhere else in the room while verbally telling them what is not acceptable. Then once you have the group separated you can enforce the child staying where they were put which is similar to time out but does not deny the child the right to play just has them playing somewhere different. Often the picking up which holds the child close and the carrying helps to diffuse the situation. How stiff the child stays or how limp while carrying gives you an idea of what other measures you might need to take or suggests where to move the child too - a limp child goes to a more favourite area, a stiff child NEVER gets put to play with blocks,lol.

My thoughts, on the money. Verbal and physical redirection, with firm reminders "Food is for eating, NOT throwing" etc. I give veeeerrrry little attention to the screaming on the floor fits, because the attention is exactly what they are looking for.
The only thing the under 2/3 group gets "time outs" for is aggressive behavior. One reminder that "hands are for helping, not hurting" and then if it occurs again; child sits on a chair in the room for 1-2 min (based on age). It's the one thing I am zero-tolerance on. And it has worked so far.
As for the little guy in your care, be patient, and consistent. It should pass, in due time! :)

mumstheword
06-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Be consistant and firm. Tell or remind him not to do something and if he does it again he gets time out. Do not give multiple warnings. I DO give ``time outs`` for all ages. Even my little one year old that keeps putting her hands in the plants. I say NO and put her in her highchair. Just for one minute. Then put her down somewhere away from the plant. After a week she doesn`t go near the plants. It is a lot of work though, you need to be consistant. For the child who says he`s hungry, I only feed my dcks at snack and lunch times for the most part. If he throws his food on the floor I take it away (until later then we will try again). He is testing you to see what he can get away with, once he knows the rules he will settle down. They are like dogs, they smell fear, lol, so stay strong my friend. I don`t even have to use words with my kids and dcks when they get a time out. I just point to the time out spot and they go, they know, usually that what they did was not acceptable. Don`t get me wrong they don`t get a time out for every little thing, they are allowed to be human! and to be honest they rarely get time outs, they know the rules and follow them. Good luck