PDA

View Full Version : New clients?

Wonderwiper
11-19-2012, 05:46 PM
I interviewed a new family recently. I just heard back today that they would like to be considered for the spot. I have not decided yet. The strange thing is that about a minute after they emailed me, another mom emailed saying she got my info from the first mom and wanted a spot! Has anyone ever taken on two families that were friends?

playfelt
11-19-2012, 10:03 PM
It has positives in the sense that the children grow up as friends so tend to settle into care well but also learn to act like siblings over time. The down side is that if one leaves for any reason there is a chance the other one would leave too - again like having siblings except not as risky.

The two moms do make good references down the road since they represent a good portion of your daycare.

Inspired by Reggio
11-20-2012, 06:55 AM
While I admit there is 'risk' I personally have only had positive experience with 'friend referrals' .... one of my first clients referred me two of her friends as I was filling up and never had an issue ... but I have thankfully never had clients leave on sour notes so my first client moved to another city and the others stayed on, one had a child whose school was 1/2 days so they outgrew the program while the other stayed on for five years until both her children were in school full time. Last year I had another client refer a friend and than 4 months later she moved out of city too and the friend is still here with her children and now just referred me another friend to interview .... IMO word of mouth advertizing is the best form of advertizing there is!

IMO the fact remains that if a client leaves on 'poor terms' there is risk of other clients hearing about it and getting soured by the 'gossip' and following suit regardless if they were 'friends before hand' ... I know IME most of my clients end up forming relationships once starting here so they talk outside of daycare hours anyway so not much difference if they 'started' as friends or 'became' friends if something negative happened in my group ALL my clients would end up knowing about it and potentially creating huge conflict on me ... one of the reasons why I work so hard to make sure I have a positive match at the START of the relationship in order to avoid conflict as the relationship grows ;)

Wonderwiper
11-20-2012, 07:57 AM
Thanks everyone! I think my main concern would be interviewing the second family and then not liking them, ha ha!! Awkward!

Inspired by Reggio
11-20-2012, 08:02 AM
Thanks everyone! I think my main concern would be interviewing the second family and then not liking them, ha ha!! Awkward!

Yes ... that would be tough :o

I just had a client refer me a co worker yesterday ~ I was honest that the age and fact they only needed part time would not make them an ideal match as I am holding out for a full time client who is over two at the moment and thanked her for thinking of me ... my current client respected that honesty?

mimi
11-20-2012, 08:27 AM
I have 3 siblings who bring their children here. It works well. I am extra careful not to discuss the other cousins with the aunt/uncles as they are a close family and I know they compare notes.

gcj
11-20-2012, 08:04 PM
That's pretty neat, Mimi. Fun for them! I have never taken friends on, but see no problem with it. Families have become friends through my daycare, though, which is fun, too.

mimi
11-21-2012, 07:21 AM
Oh, they are not MY siblings gcj!!! That would be a receipe for disaster. :woot::laugh: