PDA

View Full Version : Help! Shaving cream paint...

Spixie33
11-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Hi, I have a question. I am planning to do a bear theme for next week to use up the time before Christmas and one of the activities I want to do is paint a polar bear using shaving cream paint.

http://pinterest.com/pin/135319163773338088/

The question is --- has anyone made shaving cream paint and can you make it a few hours in advance ?

I would rather set up the craft early in the morning if possible rather than make paint and prepare everything once 5 excited kids are waiting and full of beans:laugh:

Errbear
11-23-2012, 12:36 PM
NO you can't make it that far in advance, unless you cover it. The glue doesn't take that long to start drying up. I made a snowman last week with a recipe/idea from pinterest. The shaving cream I used was from the dollar store and it reeked so bad I was gagging...Won't be doing that again:no:

Mine also took a week to dry...hopefully yours isn't the same

Spixie33
11-23-2012, 12:40 PM
A week to dry? eeks.:ohmy:

Momof4
11-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Pick me, pick me!! Yes, I've used shaving cream paint. It's a lot of fun for the children and I just checked your link and it said exactly what the recipe I found said to do - equal parts of shaving cream and white glue. I added some blue food dye to half my batch because we made an ocean painting and the clouds were white and the ocean was blue. The children loved the feeling of it and I let them paint with their hands with a bowl of soapy water and a cloth on the side so that I could keep them wiped up. but this is not a craft that you can keep around or send home. I tried but it kept shrinking and evaporating down to nothing after about a week. It was still 3d but nothing like when we made it. I recommend it for the fun factor though.

Spixie33
11-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Thanks guys. I chickened out and printed the templates and let the kids glue cotton balls on them instead of painting the polar bear

sunnydays
11-26-2012, 12:18 PM
I would love to try the shaving cream paint as the texture sounds like fun for the kids, but what stops me is that there is a lot of chemicals and who knows what in shaving cream...and some of my kids still try putting stuff in their mouths....so I don't think I would risk it. Anybody know of a natural alternative with a similar texture? I guess whippping cream, but it would melt as it is warmed and become cream...yuck!

Spixie33
11-26-2012, 12:45 PM
I would love to try the shaving cream paint as the texture sounds like fun for the kids, but what stops me is that there is a lot of chemicals and who knows what in shaving cream...and some of my kids still try putting stuff in their mouths....so I don't think I would risk it. Anybody know of a natural alternative with a similar texture? I guess whippping cream, but it would melt as it is warmed and become cream...yuck!

I was almost going to switch it to vanilla pudding or condensed milk with a bit of food colouring