PDA

View Full Version : Question...

Bookworm
11-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I want to know if anyone has anything about this in their handbook/contract.

Here's a question my husband brought up to me as I was reviewing my handbook with him. I was going over my injuries/emergency section with him and mentioned that if a child had to go to the hospital by ambulance, it was the parent's resposibility to meet the child there, as I had to care for the other children.
So, the question my husband brought up was, "if you have to call an ambulance, who pays for it...you or the parents?"
I had never thought of this, and I'm not sure who should pay for it.... what do you guys think? Do you have anything in your handbook? I'm really not planning on ever having to do this, but would like to have a plan in place.

TIA.

Inspired by Reggio
11-27-2012, 06:06 AM
Yes I do indeed ~ always better to be proactive in an emergency plan for the worst and hope you never need it.

My contract and handbook clearly states that in a medical emergency where parents cannot be reached or it is felt there is no time to wait for them to arrive for transporting to treatment that an ambulance will be called, the child will be transported alone to the hospital and a parent or emergency person will be notified to meet them there and yes that the cost of the ambulance will be billed to the client.

BlueRose
11-27-2012, 06:42 AM
My contract states: Parents will be responsible for all costs involved in emergency treatment including emergency transportation and equipment if required.

This way they can not come back and hand me the hospital bills. (unless a court over turns my contract)

My friends kid broke a bone well at daycare (a center) a few weeks ago and my friend had to pay for the ambulance, a new car seat and a new stroller, since her son is now in a half body cast and now does not fit in the car seat/stroller they had. It cost my friend close to 7 hundred dollars.

apples and bananas
11-27-2012, 06:54 AM
Yes, mine says the parent pays. It is at my descretion if one needs to be called or not and regardless of my decision, the parent still pays.

fruitloop
11-27-2012, 07:01 AM
Yup, mine says the parents pay as well.

Bookworm
11-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks for your input ladies. I will be revising my handbook to add this in.

little rascals
11-27-2012, 08:21 PM
i also have it in my contract that it is the responsibility of the parents. But i have also been thinking about this and wonder how would you explain the reasoning behind it if a parent was to ask why they would have to pay since the child was a daycare under our supervision??? Any ideas?

Sandbox Sally
11-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I want to know if anyone has anything about this in their handbook/contract.

Here's a question my husband brought up to me as I was reviewing my handbook with him. I was going over my injuries/emergency section with him and mentioned that if a child had to go to the hospital by ambulance, it was the parent's resposibility to meet the child there, as I had to care for the other children.
So, the question my husband brought up was, "if you have to call an ambulance, who pays for it...you or the parents?"
I had never thought of this, and I'm not sure who should pay for it.... what do you guys think? Do you have anything in your handbook? I'm really not planning on ever having to do this, but would like to have a plan in place.

TIA.

I have this in my handbook for sure. I say that it is my responsibility to get them there, but any costs incurred are the responsibility of the parent.

Judy Trickett
12-05-2012, 08:15 AM
If the school had to call an ambulance there would be no question as to the parents having to pay for it. Same for daycare.

Momof4
12-05-2012, 05:45 PM
I don't have it actually written down in my policies but I never even questioned it before. The parents have instructions that if I ever have an emergency and have to call 911 that I will give the medical forms I have with me giving the paramedics permission to start to care for their child and they will be called to meet their child at the medical facility.

If they ever tried to get me to pay for the ambulance that would be completely disrespectful, uncalled for and not the kind of client I choose for my daycare, so I don't see it happening. Hopefully I don't ever see ANY of this happening though!!! I still believe we don't have to write everything down, common sense can prevail sometimes.