PDA

View Full Version : Babies taking docks off...arrggg

Dreamalittledream
11-29-2012, 09:43 AM
I have 2 babies with whom I have finally resorted to just taking their socks off as soon as they arrive. Any tips other than this? I've tried slippers/leaving indoor shoes on...they pull them off too:(. Makes for cool toes on our basement playroom & hardwood floors.

kidlove
11-29-2012, 09:46 AM
How old are they? anyway you can tough out a "no,no socks stay on", putting them back on until they learn? or are they too little?

BrightEyes
11-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Do they take Robeez off? I find they stay on longer than any other shoe and are great for indoors.

mimi
11-29-2012, 10:20 AM
I asked the parents of the sockless to provide Robeez and the kids are not inclined to take them off. I got tired of searching playpens for socks after naps and sometimes they just disappeared! I guess the dryer is not the only place socks like to escape from LOL

Inspired by Reggio
11-29-2012, 11:05 AM
I :wub: Robeez too ... in the absence of that option either repetitive 'socks stay on' until they get it, leaving socks off once they pull them off and having the natural consequence of cold feet until they get it that it is best to leave them on OR if we are talking dangerously cold feet verses just 'PITA cold feet' than I would ask parents for TIGHTS that they cannot pull off regardless of their sex to keep their feet safe from the cold ;)

My children are told that t he playroom is too cold for bare feet so if they want to play they have to keep their socks and slippers on ~ anyone who removes their socks is removed from play to the warmth of the pack and play until they 'get it' and I am mean and they also suffer the natural consequence if you are old enough to take em off you are old enough to attempt to put em back on yourself I will only 'assist' when you are truly stuck ... great learning practice for babies and INCENTIVE to leave them on ;)

Dreamalittledream
11-29-2012, 11:44 AM
How old are they? anyway you can tough out a "no,no socks stay on", putting them back on until they learn? or are they too little?
They are both 1 year olds (just turned); I should have clarified...one just always loses her's crawling, the other is a chewer...anything he can chew on (his shirt, or especially his socks).

kidlove
11-29-2012, 11:45 AM
I have also found with the little "sockless" monsters, using the longer socks and pulling them all the way over their knees can really help too! by the time they have worked it that far, you can usually catch them and get the sock back up. :)

kidlove
11-29-2012, 11:47 AM
not to mention, unless they are really determined to get the sock off, if it is too hard to remove at that age, they will usually give up and move on to something else. ;)

apples and bananas
11-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Ha, I take the socks and put them in my pockets. LOL If they're going to remove them they're going to loose them. They learn quick enough to leave them on.

It could be worse... when my daughter was young and in a home daycare she was taught how to take her socks off and hide them by a little boy. She came home sockless or with one sock too many times.

kidlove
11-29-2012, 11:59 AM
ha ha! that reminds me of a uncomfy chat I had to have with a Mom one day because her daughter kept taking her socks off at nap and sticking them in the "crotch" of her undies. :blink:
I asked her where her socks were and she looked really concerned and said "it feels good"!!!! :) kids!

sunnydays
11-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Since I have had all my kids wearing Robeez type slippers, I never have this problem anymore. I now have a basement daycare with laminate and ceramic floors and although it isn't freezing, the floors do get cool, so I require them to keep socks and slippers on. I don't think at the age of one year, natural consequences of having cold feet will work...they are too young to really make the connection and it isn't good for them to have cold feet all day as we know that having cold feet makes you cold all over. I would ask the parents to suppl Robeez. I have one parent who has some great Robeez-like slippers (I thought they were Robeez) and she told me she got them from a company online that sells them for $10/pair and only a couple of dollars for shipping! And they are great...not like the cheap Zellers version...they are like real Robeez....really good quality! The child who has them is sleeping with them right now, but when he wakes up, I will look at the tag and post the brand in case you want to direct parents to it :)

giraffe
11-29-2012, 12:20 PM
I use robeez too, or worse case I just teach the babies to at least bring the socks to me (so i dont loose them).

crafty
11-29-2012, 12:27 PM
This is one I let go coz I HATE socks and am always barefoot. So if a child takes them off all I do is take them away so we don't loose them. I also take the socks off at nap time as I find they use it to play instead of sleeping. Am I wrong by doing this ? I always tought barefeet are healthy feet ??

sunnydays
11-29-2012, 01:10 PM
I guess it depends on the temperature of your home and your floors especially. I wear socks and slippers inmy daycare area myself because the floors are cold...I would not want anyone going barefoot and cold footed all day. But, if your floors are warm and your house is warm and their feet are not cold, then you are probably fine! In summer I let them go barefoot :)

This is one I let go coz I HATE socks and am always barefoot. So if a child takes them off all I do is take them away so we don't loose them. I also take the socks off at nap time as I find they use it to play instead of sleeping. Am I wrong by doing this ? I always tought barefeet are healthy feet ??

Momof4
11-29-2012, 03:06 PM
You just took me waaaaaay back. My middle daughter was like that. The second she got home from anywhere the socks and shoes always came off, even in the middle of winter. We are barefoot here all summer but I like socks on the daycare children all winter because my house is cool. If I have a child with a problem the parents usually provide tight fitting little slipper shoes of some kind to keep them on but I don't know the brand names.

apples and bananas
11-29-2012, 03:37 PM
My daycare in on the main level and it's a cushioned floor in the daycare area so cold feet aren't really a concern here. I have one little one that wakes up from her nap and will take her socks off and make puppets on her hands. Then continues to talk to them until quiet time is over. She's 20 months.

Dreamalittledream
11-29-2012, 03:51 PM
I have one parent who has some great Robeez-like slippers (I thought they were Robeez) and she told me she got them from a company online that sells them for $10/pair and only a couple of dollars for shipping! And they are great...not like the cheap Zellers version...they are like real Robeez....really good quality! The child who has them is sleeping with them right now, but when he wakes up, I will look at the tag and post the brand in case you want to direct parents to it :)
Yes please:)

mamaof4
11-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Have you ever heard of the hanna andersson slippers? they are warm, have grippy bottoms and are hard to get off. Best invention ever. :)