PDA

View Full Version : Interview sheets for DCP

Stircrazy
02-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Has anyone ever seen a sheet for daycare providers of questions to ask the parents? I have parents come to me with long sheets of questions and really there are a lot of things I want to ask the parents and sometimes don't think of at the time. After all it is DCP and parents working together to care for the child and you need to have a good relationship with each.

fruitloop
02-09-2011, 07:34 AM
I have a list of about 20 - 25 questions I ask the parents. I can post them later today when I get a minute if you want :)

Play and Learn
02-09-2011, 09:35 AM
I have a list of about 20 - 25 questions I ask the parents. I can post them later today when I get a minute if you want :)

That would be wonderful if you could!

fruitloop
02-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Ok, so this is what my interview sheet looks like...after all, parents aren't the only ones who are interviewing :)

Parent's Name:_______________ ____________________
Child's name & age:________________ ___________________
Looking to start care:_______________ _________________

1. Has your child been in day care before? If so, for how long?

2. Why are you seeking new child care?

3. Is someone available to pick up your child by closing time?

4. do you have emergency backup care?

5. will you be giving notice to your former child care provider? If no, why not?

6. are you willing to sign a contract?

7. What is your method of discipline?

8. What is/will be your approach to potty training?

9. Does your child have any special needs based on religious or health issues? Are there any activity or food restrictions?

10. What is your child's favorite activity?

11. What general observations can you give me about your child's development, activities, etc.?

12. Is your child on any medications? does he/she have any special medical needs such as allergies or asthma?

13. Does he/she have any unusual habits?

14. Does he/she have any habits you are trying to break or reinforce?

15. does he/she need help in any specific areas of discipline such as sharing or playing with other children?

16. Is your child on a sleep schedule? what kind of napper are they?

17. Is your child able to self-sooth at nap and bed time?

18. Is your child a good eater or tend to be picky? Are they able to self feed?

19. What are your expectations of a child care provider?

20. Why are you choosing a home daycare over a centre?

21. What does a typical day look like at home?

22. May I have names of references? (former caregiver, etc.)

This is what I ask parents at every interview. It gives me a general idea of what the child is like (along with meeting them), how the parents parent, and what they expect from me. This helps me make my decisions on who I want in my daycare.

playfelt
02-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Interesting, have never thought of getting references for the parents we are interviewing. One of the things that a list of questions like this does is helps to reinforce the equality aspect to the parents and that it isn't just the parents that are doing the choosing and also that we are not being "hired" by the parents as their caregiver. We are offering a serived to the families of OUR choosing and have the control over the program/service that we offer.

fruitloop
02-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Interesting, have never thought of getting references for the parents we are interviewing. One of the things that a list of questions like this does is helps to reinforce the equality aspect to the parents and that it isn't just the parents that are doing the choosing and also that we are not being "hired" by the parents as their caregiver. We are offering a serived to the families of OUR choosing and have the control over the program/service that we offer.

That is exactly it!

Stircrazy
02-09-2011, 09:26 PM
I love the questions!!! Thank You! I was asking because the last few interviews I have had they have pulled out big lists of questions one after another and really they are coming into OUR home. I would like to know a bit about them as well! I also like to meet the dad as well because if he is going to be involved in pick up or drop off we need to be able to get along. I know one provider that used to do two interviews. One in her home and one in theirs. She wanted to see how the children were in their own environment to get a feel of the whole picture.

Play and Learn
02-10-2011, 07:06 AM
Thank you fruit loop!

I was told that the caregiver is the interviewer, as it's your business. I've been lucky with my parents as I haven't had to check references as they're friends of friends!

Sunflower
02-10-2011, 02:18 PM
wow, great list ! I agree. It is and interview and in the end I choose.
I want to make sure I can see myself "working with" these parents long term and make sure we have the same values.

mlc1982
02-14-2011, 02:00 PM
So when you're interviewing with these questions, do you actually have the sheet out in front of you writing down answers? Or do you have your questions pretty well memorized so you know off the top of your head what to ask? Just curious because I like the idea. I wonder what parents would think if I just pulled out a piece of paper with questions for them !! ??

fruitloop
02-14-2011, 02:29 PM
I have it right there in front of me and write things down...just like they do to me. I write all sorts of notes on the sheets that help me make my choices. I know what i want to ask them so I know what questions are on my list but I write it all down in front of them.

fruitloop
02-14-2011, 02:33 PM
I also have a 2 page form that I get them to fill out about their child when they register with me. This allows me to get to know the child a bit more before they start and also get to know the parents better and how they parent as well. I can post that too if you want.

Tot-Time
02-14-2011, 03:48 PM
I find most parents are receptive to me having my questions in front of me. If I have my sheet out in front of me, it allows me to jot down little notes while we are conducting the interview.

I have recently moved to having all my questions / information on my bb which I can quickly look through to help remind me of the questions I would like to ask. I don't interview enough to remember the questions off by heart.

giraffe
02-14-2011, 06:11 PM
I usually write down their answers... When choosing between families, I dont want to make any mistake about hours or needs of the interviewing families.

Niveah
02-15-2011, 10:33 AM
So when you're interviewing with these questions, do you actually have the sheet out in front of you writing down answers? Or do you have your questions pretty well memorized so you know off the top of your head what to ask? Just curious because I like the idea. I wonder what parents would think if I just pulled out a piece of paper with questions for them !! ??

I think as parents we should welcome the questions that the day care provider asks. After all- we ask a lot of questions.
In the end if the values do not match we should not be blaming the provider because we know what to expect. Even with all this talking, there are surprise issues that pop out. Children are caught between the parenting differences.:)

playfelt
02-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Often times I think parents forget that just as they are interviewing us for the positon of caregiver we are also interviewing them for the position of daycare family. I have had interviews where I just knew it wouldn't work based on the way the parents handled themselves at the interview or how they treated their child. Then of course on how they replied or ignored my questions.

FS2011
02-16-2011, 09:45 PM
I totally treat it as a job interview, except I'm the one seeking an employee. I have my note book and questions out infront of me incorporate my questions into our conversation. I want my parents to know I'm not a babysitter, I'm a professional. That's how I see it :)

canadianjule
03-28-2011, 06:55 PM
I also have a 2 page form that I get them to fill out about their child when they register with me. This allows me to get to know the child a bit more before they start and also get to know the parents better and how they parent as well. I can post that too if you want.

If you could post your 2 page form that would be fantastic :)

fruitloop
03-28-2011, 07:43 PM
If you could post your 2 page form that would be fantastic :)

The list of questions is on the first page of this thread...

fruitloop
03-28-2011, 07:43 PM
or do you measn the form that they fill out?

canadianjule
03-28-2011, 08:34 PM
sorry, I should have clarified...yes the form that they fill out about the child when they register with you...thanks!

fruitloop
03-28-2011, 10:43 PM
All About Me
Child’s Name ____________________ _____ Nickname ____________________ ______
I have ____ brothers & ____ sisters, their names and ages are: ___________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ _____________
How would you describe your child’s personality? ____________________ __________
____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ______

****~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~ ~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~* ~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~ *~~*~~

Has your child been in childcare before? ( ) yes ( ) no If yes, please give last childcare provider, or daycare center’s information:
Name: ____________________ _________________ Phone (___)____________
Dates attended: from _____ to ______ Why was care terminated? _________________
____________________ ____________________ ____________________ _____________
*May I contact them for a reference? ( ) yes ( ) no

*****~~*~~*~~*~~*~~* ~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~ *~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~ ~*~~*~~

Does your child have a regular bedtime schedule? ( ) yes ( ) no What time does
your child usually go to bed at night? __________ What time does your child
usually wake up in the morning? ___________ Does your child have trouble
sleeping? ______ Night Terrors? ____ Trouble going to sleep? _____ Other:
____________________ ____________________ ____________________ _________
If infant, how does your child sleep? stomach side back
What time(s) and for how long does your child usually nap? _________________
Are there any special dolls, blankets, etc. that your child needs to go to sleep?
What is your child’s disposition upon waking up? happy, grouchy, clingy, slow,

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~ *~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~ ~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~* ~~

Has or does your child have any known health problems? ( ) yes ( ) no If yes,
describe: ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ __
Does your child need regular medication? ( ) yes ( ) no If yes, what and when is
it given? ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ __
Does your child have any known allergies? ( ) yes ( ) no If yes, please list
allergens: ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ _
Special instructions in case of an allergic reaction: ____________________ _______
____________________ ____________________ ____________________ __________
Has your child had any of the following communicable diseases? chicken pox,
measles, mumps, other ____________________ ____________________ __________
Is your child prone to: upset stomach, colds, seasonal allergies, earaches,
headaches, sore throats, nose bleeds, other ____________________ ______________
Are there any indications of hearing or vision problems? ____________________ __
Has your child had any recent illnesses? ( ) yes ( ) no If yes, describe: ____________
____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ___________

Does your child have any physical or mental disabilities? ( ) yes ( ) no If yes,
explain: ____________________ ____________________ __________________
Do you have a back-up plan if your child is ill and cannot attend or becomes ill and must be picked up? ( ) yes ( ) no

****~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~ ~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~* ~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~ *~~*~~

What are your child’s eating habits? (mind trying new things, times usually eats,
etc.) ____________________ ____________________ _______________
Child’s usual dining habits: (circle all that apply) high chair, booster seat, feeds
self, uses utensils, bottle, sipper cup regular cup, ____________________ _____
Does your child eat unaided? ________ Does he/she enjoy eating? ________
Does your child have a special diet? ________ Due to your child’s tastes,
allergies, reactions,*and/or religious beliefs, are there any foods that should not be served to your child?*( ) yes ( ) no
Please list these foods: ____________________ ____________________ ______
Favorite foods: ____________________ ____________________ _____________
Strong dislikes: ____________________ ____________________ _____________
**** ~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~ *~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~ ~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~* ~~

What are your expectations my Day Home and me? ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ____

canadianjule
03-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks for posting that :) I have something very similar but I think I will add a couple of the things that you have on there too :thumbup:

momto3plus1angel
03-29-2011, 07:00 PM
I always interview with a list of questions I want to know. So far I've only have one family get up set about it and they were a family I didn't really think I wanted anyways. I use the same form that fruitloop does when a new child first comes and most parents have felf much better getting to tell me about their childs day/needs.