PDA

View Full Version : Daycare Lockers

WAHM
11-29-2012, 04:37 PM
I need to purchase some lockers for the daycare centre, our hooks are not doing the trick anymore. I see them online but I am not sure if they're too small, not great quality or too expensive. Has anyone purchased any for a Preschool or daycare. I'll need at least a 6 - 8 section, double hooked locker set. We'll need enough for 50 kids.
Thanks!

Inspired by Reggio
11-29-2012, 04:42 PM
The ones they sell in the Supplies stores are VERY overpriced but they will last a life time ... I have seen them in centres that are 25 years old and they are still in fairly good condition.

However if not in the budget the one daycare I worked at we had a awesome carpenter dad who volunteered to use the measurements and specs of the 'expensive ones' from the stores and made us some awesome ones out of MDF which we than painted with the Malamine paint ... served the purpose.

My spouse made my for my home daycare ... six cubbies cost less than $100 in materials and paint and because mine are a piece of furniture in my home he used cedar trim and chrome hooks and so forth to make them pretty.

WAHM
11-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Thanks, Reggio. I was thinking of having a contractor come quote us, as well.

playfelt
01-02-2013, 09:08 AM
The problem I have seen is with the child sized lockers is that they tend to not be tall enough for hanging things like snowpants and especially if boots are put in there too.

Mostly it is my parents that dress and undress the kids due to age and therefore do the hanging up. I have a bench that has a back on it and hooks. Boots go on a boot mat near the door.

One of the things I did in a previous house which worked really well because my own kids were school age and I had a couple of school age daycare too. I got a utility cabinet from home depot - it has shelves on the one side and is full on the other - where you would stand brooms or ironing board I guess. Anyways hubby installed hooks on that side and then coats went there and they each had a shelf on the other side for back packs, or diaper bags and changes of stuff. I had room for three of them which also allowed me to stow away all of the family gear in terms of sports - ie rollerblades and helmets too for my own kids. New house is laid out differently at front door hence the bench system and I have one cabinet with full shelves where I have bins for each child in it for changes of clothes, shoes etc.

I guess my point is take a look at the full size of the lockers in terms of usable space before buying as the coat area is small if there is storage at the bottom and often the kids still need to climb onto the bottom to hang stuff up. If you don't want them doing that then replacing the hooks on the wall might be a way to go and getting one of the plastic drawer systems for storage.