PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Traditions......Outs ide of Daycare.

bright sparks
12-03-2012, 01:53 PM
As soon as December comes along, I call CHRISTMAS!! I just love this time of year and love to hear what other people do to celebrate. Regardless of a person's faith, how do you celebrate this season and what are some of the traditions you did as a child and carry on with your family?

I'll go first :D

Being a Brit, I try to seek out a Panto each year. There's lots of imitations but unless it's put on by Brits, its just not the same. This year it's Aladdin and I can't wait. I've been going to Panto's for as long as I can remember.

I always put my decorations up with my family the first weekend of December unless it was the 6th of Dec. I think I would explode from excitement if I had to wait that long...yes I'm a big kid at heart lol. We (hubby and 2 kids), go and cut a tree which is a fun but challenging task as I am so extremely anal about these kind of things haha so my kids tend to play hide and seek while my husband tries very hard ot convince me on a tree that I just can't make a decision about :laugh:

Lots of social get togethers throughout the month and then it is my son's birthday on Xmas Eve OMG!! That day is officially "NO CHRISTMAS ALLOWED"

On Christmas Day it's just the 4 of us. We keep all the curtains closed, pj's on and unplug the phone after 30 minutes of calling around the relatives overseas. Xmas dinner starts with "prawn cocktail" followed by the traditional Turkey, pigs in blankets and trimmings then finally a Xmas pudding with brandy sauce...... yummy.

Finally Turkey brain and Zzzzzzz.......

:thumbsup:

playfelt
12-03-2012, 04:27 PM
This is going to be a year of new traditions and modified traditions since it will be the first one that all of the kids won't be home. Only one missing but still not the same - he will bein Calgary actually although I think they are going to Edmonton to visit with some friends they know from school at some point over the holidays - weather permitting of course.

Christmas Eve is very busy here because hubby and oldest daughter sing in church choir which sings at the church services that night - and we do all three of them because of it - 7pm, 9pm, 11pm. It means a late home, big snacktime, late to bed, and then we start the day far later than other families do but it worked well for us when kids were teens. We do a brunch kind of meal which sort of ends up being an afternoon of snacking. Afternoon is spent mostly calling the grandparents and checking out the gifts more indepth. The last couple of years we have actually done our turkeky dinner on boxing day because that is when son's girlfriend could be here too. I liked that it didn't get in the way of enjoying the family on Christmas day too and spread outs the fun more. Besides by boxing day we have stopped snacking on brunch and have room for supper.

giraffe
12-03-2012, 04:35 PM
My ds went to a pantomime in Toronto (Snow White). He said that it was fantastic!! I was debating on going to see Alladin too... hummm brite sparks I am guessing we are close.

mimi
12-03-2012, 06:41 PM
My parents are Dutch immigrants so we celebrate Christmas starting on Christmas Eve. Our whole family comes together and we have a buffet and we open our Christmas gifts. We do this one at a time so the giver can enjoy the receipients happy reaction (we hope LOL) and the receipient can give thanks. This usually takes a few hours so at the half way mark we return to the buffet and refresh our drinks.
As a child we never did open gifts Christmas morning, but since I had my daughter, I didn't want her to feel Santa excluded her so there were always Santa's gifts for her to wake up to. We still do this tradition and she is 17. Do you think she still believes or is this her way of getting some extra gifts? :laugh: Anyway, Christmas Eve always and still does feel magical with the family around.

BrightEyes
12-03-2012, 08:31 PM
LOL mimi!! I would def be doing it for the extra gifts ;)

bright sparks, growing up we always went and cut down our tree too!! Every year my mom would decorate the inside of the house like crazy starting the beginning of December usually, and my dad would put tons of lights outside!!! We'd have lights on almost every tree on our property!! lights on the roof and lights in all the windows!! LOL My mom is good at drawing/painting cartoons/characters so she would have my dad cut the shape she wanted for "santa in his sleigh" from plywood and then she would paint it as santa and his sleigh full of toys. My parents then made the reindeer out of logs and tree branches and set it all up on the front lawn with a red spot light shining on it.

Usually 2-3 weeks before Christmas we would go on our "Tree Hunt" hehe....sometimes my father made us wait until only one week before Christmas....that SUCKED!!!!!!!! LOL We would go out to the tree farm, get a wagon ride back to the trees....it would take what felt like FOREVER for my mom to pick a tree...(like bright sparks LOL)....and usually it was the first tree she said she liked lmao....we helped by giving our opinions on the trees :p Then we'd put our tree on the wagon and head back to the farm house. Outside we would gather around the bon fire drinking hot chocolate and roasting marshmallows/hotdogs! Then we would put the tree on top of the car or in the back of our truck and head home (many many many "now funny" stories about the tree hunts AND the drive to and from the farm....not knowing if the truck would make it up the icy hill road!) Once home we would laugh as my dad and uncle would bring the tree in. Then they would sit on their butts having a drink...or two...or three etc lmao while us kids and my mom would decorate the Christmas tree while listening to Christmas music and we would have chilli for dinner and Christmas cookies for dessert! (lots of lovely arguing amongst us three sisters as we decorated of course :D)

And of course we would do lots of Christmas cookie baking through out December. Christmas eve we would watch Christmas movies/shows and go to bed early. When we were teenagers we would get to open a one gift on Christmas eve. Christmas morning my dad would get up really early...like 5-5:30 and put the turkey on if our family dinner was at our place and not a relatives. I of course was the one child who would be up all night excited for Santa and then fall asleep just a half hour before my sisters would wake me up! We would walk down the dark hallway into the living room where my dad would be sitting in the dark with the Christmas tree all lit up, the window lights on and "the burning Christmas log" on the television. Sooooo exciting!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Christmas morning as kids we'd all just rip through our gifts....my dad always hated that because he missed out on seeing exactly what everyone got since my mom did the shopping...lol As we got older we would all open one at the same time and then we would take time to see them or we would open one by one. We would usually have a late brunch and then either we'd head out to our relatives for Christmas dinner or our relatives would come to our place which we preferred so we could spend time with our gifts!! (one year we would have Christmas with my mom's side of the family and the following year my dad's)

Growing up my dad would always dress as Santa for our Christmas dinner with relatives because he really did/does look like Santa :p Big belly....big white beard haha So many young relatives really thought he was Santa! When we were a bit older we would dress as his elves :D And we'd pass out the gifts!

One of the most exciting things for me was at school when we would have a Christmas assembly and sing Christmas songs!!! It always got me sooooo excited for Christmas!!

Now: Yes...there IS more haha....

As adults we were still going to my parents place first thing Christmas morning to open gifts followed by getting together with our relatives.

Last year my daughter was 3mths old so we had Christmas dinner with the relatives at our place. My husband, daughter and I had our own gift opening and then my husband got things ready for the dinner while baby and I went to my parents for gift opening (brought hubby's gifts back with me).

Since I left home my hubby and I have gotten a small real tree the first year and artificial trees ever since.

So this year, I put our tree up mid-November (wanted to do it at the start LOL), we put a few lights outside and I put Christmas stickers on the window (which my daughter LOVES). I put Christmas music on every day and my daughter and I dance to it, play musical instruments to it, play with it on and do crafts with it on too! We are taking my daughter this weekend with my parents and one of my sisters to go get my sister a real Christmas tree (we may start getting a real one next year). I can't wait to see her reaction when we go for the wagon ride around the farm with the horses pulling the wagon!!! I hope the weather is nice and we have some snow!!!!!

Christmas eve we will put Christmas movies/shows on as usual. This will be the first Christmas that I won't be going to my parent's place to open gifts in the morning. I am a bit sad to be breaking the tradition but I told my family it is time for my hubby, daughter and I to start our own tradition! :D :wub: Christmas morning we will open our own gifts and then my parents and sisters will come to our place to exchange gifts and spend the day together and have a nice Christmas dinner. We aren't getting together with relatives on Christmas day this year, my dad just wants to have a small get together with my family. It's too bad because I really love and look forward to Christmas because of the time we get to spend with family (relatives included). We will try to see them at some point over the holidays though.

With my family (hubby, daughter and I) I plan on each year, celebrating Christmas as family time, spending time with friends and family, helping one another, doing things for our community and just really enjoying the time we have together and all of the little things in life :)

Wow....I can't believe how long my novel is haha...but...bright sparks...YOU ASKED!!!!! hehe (If anyone even read this far!!!!!!!! LOLOLOL!!)

P.S. Did you know you can only have 8 emoticons in a post??!! It was so hard for me to narrow them down LOL!

bright sparks
12-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Little Feet...You are too funny. I could literally see you bouncing up and down as you typed this with sheer excitement for Xmas. I love it too.

I watched my first Xmas movie of the season on Sunday night with my kids. How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I had never seen it before and it's like no other out there. Hillarious and completely insane and my kids were literally rolling on the floor with laughter.a

bright sparks
12-04-2012, 06:07 AM
My ds went to a pantomime in Toronto (Snow White). He said that it was fantastic!! I was debating on going to see Alladin too... hummm brite sparks I am guessing we are close.

Aladdin is playing in Burlington and is put on by Brits so I am confident it will be good. Tickets aren't to expensive either.

Crayola kiddies
12-04-2012, 08:04 AM
My birthday is on Xmas day .... Nuff said !

kidlove
12-04-2012, 08:10 AM
We always put up the tree and inside outside decorations on ThanksGiving Day! Then Christmas is official. On Christmas Day it's just the four of us ALL DAY! Grammas and Grampas Stop by and we get and give many phone calls to all the sibblings, and chat with the nieces and nephews. This year we have started a new tradition the kids and I are really excited about and helps to keep us grounded to the true meaning of Christmas. We are doing the advent, every night at dinner lighting the proper advent candle and reading scripture along with some interesting things the kids and us can take part in to help explain the scripture and meaning of the word, to the kids. The candle stays lit through dinner as a constant reminder of our Thankfulness for God's love and the coming of Christmas. The kids have taken part so nicely for the last couple nights and it really has brought a nice reality to our family of the true meaning of this season. So easily we all get caught up in the merchandizing and media of the season we can forget what we celebrate come Christmas, these candles in the middle of the dining table are a constant reminder of the Truth of the Season and the Depth. Makes me even more grateful for the beautiful tree and twinkling lights. I LOVE Christmas!

kidlove
12-04-2012, 08:16 AM
bright sparks: I too love to put on the christmas music channel all day and sign along to the festive tunes, my daughter loves to sign with me. :)
I also bake like a maniac during the season, one of my gifts to each day care family and close relatives is a large container of many delish cookies and bars I have baked over the month while listening to the Christmas tunes. That is def my love language, acts of kindness, and during Christmas time my "act" is baking for sure!!!!! :)

bright sparks
12-04-2012, 08:54 AM
I fortunately only made my kids "piles" of Xmas presents a short lived thing. 2 years and I learn't my lesson that I would be setting myself up for disaster. Now the kids don't ever expect a huge pile of gifts and just appreciate what they get.

That being said, here's something funny. My kids both did their Santa letter last week...the final neat copy to mail. My daughter who is nearly 12 put some suggestions down for Santa. LOL 51 items to be exact hahaha :laugh: I was gobsmacked and couldn't believe it. I asked her if she thought this was polite and maybe Santa would think she was a little selfish. SHe said, read the letter properly then mum, they are siggestions I know he can only bring me a few things. lolol 51 suggestions though?!?!? bloody hell, he's gonna be spoilt for choice. My son, who is 10 on Xmas Eve asked for a bookshelf full of books for his mum awwww my cutie.

I think that Xmas means different things to different people. Being English and not celebrating Thanksgiving it's more like that for me. In Canada we have Thanksgiving dinner but not being raised with Thanksgiving, the real meaning isn't engrained in me. At Xmas, we are thankful for each other. It's about spending time as a family together and enjoying the prescious moment's together that we take for granted so easily. I take extra time off work so I can really emerse myself in my children and husband. Sometimes when we are eating dinner and talking or watching a family movie, or taking a walk, I just look at them and feel eternally thankful to my core. That's what Xmas means to me.

This year, will be our first year actively volunteering in the community as a family. Over the course of 3 days, as a family we will be packing Xmas Hampers for the needy and delivering them. My kids are old enough to see it for what it is rather than sugar coating it by just doing a shoebox for the Salvation Army, even though that is still equally as important. Instead they will get to deliver them, see the people and realize how much of a difference this makes in their lives and that they should never take what we have for granted. The reality of seeing this with their own eyes will take this life lesson a step furthur than just being told how bad some people have it. In a few years when they are old enough, we plan to take time out of our Xmas celebrations to serve dinner to those who would normally go with out. I hope these are some new traditions that will be carried on with their children.

bright sparks
12-04-2012, 08:57 AM

My husbands youngest brother's birthday is on Xmas Day. That must suck... I hope you still get some special treatment at some point. I know with my son's birthday on Xmas Eve, we make sure he has a half birthday in the summer with his friends from school as otherwise most can't come with December being such a busy month. We also buy him his big present in the Summer too.

kidlove
12-04-2012, 09:03 AM
bright Sparks: what a great tradition! so nice to think you are instilling those great qualities in your children. My daughter surprised me this year by informing me what she wanted from "Santa", in quotation with her fingers.:blink: i asked her why she used the gesture of quotation when she said, Santa? She says...."I know Mom"...I said "I hope your not right, cuz I can't afford that I-pod you asked for"......what has your 12 year old told you? Do they know something we don't? :)

bright sparks
12-04-2012, 09:35 AM
HaHa....It was a few years ago that my son asked about Santa, and I said they would be sincerely dissapointed if it was down to me to buy the gifts as I couldn't afford to buy them. On Christmas morning that year, my daughter said to my son as soon as they came downstaires, "See I told you there was a Santa" It has never been questioned since. I nearly put my foot in it this year though. My daughter just found out that I fill the stockings not Santa. SHe said, why is it that in the past few years the stocking presents have tags on saying To *** from Santa and they are wrapped in the same paper as his presents under the tree? I said that she is mistaken and they wouldn have been presents under the tree not stocking presents LOL I went on to ask her if the stocking presents were no good and she said they were great but I can tell from the look on her face that she isn't buying it. I think both my kids know very well their isn't a Santa and she is just trying to catch me out. As for my son, I don't think he actually cares haha as long as he has some gifts.

I feel so guilty making what was an innocent lie into a bigger one. I asked a few people this year when I should fess up and they all said, never! They just know and as they get older they understand why we do it. I remember being 7 years old and getting a typewriter for Xmas. There was a note, seperately, typed from Santa and I new something was fishy. I sat at the kitchen table and totally called my mum out calling her a liar haha I remember being a right little brat and it turned into a huge arguement. Different parenting styles thats for sure. More fool her for arguing with a 7 year old in the first place :)

kidlove
12-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Too funny, bright sparks! I do think my daughter is the same way as yours...although, I do see a little in her face of true belief. I just hate to have it lost, and like your friends told you, I guess I feel the same way, I will NEVER outright say no there isn't, I will continue with my "I couldnt afford to do what he does" as long as possible. I questioned things starting maybe 10 ish, and held on for another 3 years or so....that feeling of hope is just so child like and makes the season so much more magical, I can't bring myself to any other option. my son? i guess he is much more of a dreamer than his reccently turned "realist" 11 year old sis. He just wrote a letter to the tooth fairy last night asking for bubble gum! I love it!!!!!

bright sparks
12-04-2012, 10:34 AM
haha thats hillarious. Your son is so cute. My daughter still has the look of true belief too. I think I know what you are describing. My son hardly sleeps and it took 4 nights before we could put a loonie under his pillow cause I couldn't stay awake late enough. My husband ended up placing it there at 5am when he got up for work :)

My kids still visited Santa this year for a picture at the mall. They know that isn't Santa but they still love the spirit of it

Momof4
12-04-2012, 04:50 PM

Oh, that's not fair!

My children are grown with homes of their own but we still have all the traiditions that they had when they were small and they come home for days every Christmas. We have hor's doevres Christmas Eve and play games and presents on Christmas morning and the big turkey dinner. Boxing Day is for shopping and we always see a movie out together. It's simple but we love it.

My parents instilled traditions in me but they started going to Florida for the winter years ago so I had to take over.

kidlove
12-05-2012, 08:11 AM
My son just woke up this am, 2 nights of no money under the pillow and looks at me and says..."i'm starting to not believe in the tooth fairy, she never remembers to take my tooth" :(, I feel so bad for him, my fault! I too, fall asleep about 9:30 every night......oops! It WILL get done tonight, explained to him that we do live in the country and we also had heavy wind and snow last night, maybe she couldn't make it out. :( poor guy!