PDA

View Full Version : Registering in Ontario.... will I be inspected?

Cares
12-04-2012, 08:45 AM
I want to registered my home daycare, once I get started. I can't seem to find if I will be inspected by the Ministry? It really doesn't matter, I'm going to do things right anyways, of course.
What's the deal and requirements once you register?
Thank you! :)

loulou
12-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Do you mean being registered as a business, becoming a licensed daycare, or a preschool?

Inspired by Reggio
12-04-2012, 09:01 AM
When you say 'register' what exactly are you meaning?

Register your business name with Service Ontario to get a Business Identification number for advertizing purposes and to abide by Ontario's Business Names Act?

or

Register as in you want to be 'licensed through the Ministry of Education' as a daycare to be able to take subsidy, have more than 5 children and so forth?

Inspired by Reggio
12-04-2012, 09:02 AM
Do you mean being registered as a business, becoming a licensed daycare, or a preschool?

LOL great minds .... you responded as I was responding

mimi
12-04-2012, 10:31 AM
I am with a home daycare registry. To become a member I had to have a fire, health, and cas inspectors come to my home and of course have a police check and my cpr certificate to join. Is this what you mean?

bright sparks
12-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Is that with the Halton Registry mimi??

giraffe
12-04-2012, 11:23 AM
I thought that the Halton Registry no longer existed???

mimi
12-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Yes, bright sparks and giraffe. I just received notice they are no longer doing referrals. I understand why they did this as any inquiries I have received have never started with them. I wasn't going to renew my membership with them anyway.

playfelt
12-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Again because of the differences from province to province it is hard to answer this question because I'm not sure what the OP was intending. In Ontario you have the option to operate privately with 5 daycare children and that is the only restriction or requirement. You can also register with a dayhome agency. The agency is licensed by the province and they contract with providers to care for 5 daycare children and do have a few hoops you need to jump through to get your home ready. A private person can not be licensed in Ontario like they can in other provinces.

If you want to care for more than 5 children then you would need to look at the requirements for a daycare centre and that is something totally different.

Cares
12-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Oops, I meant just to register my daycare as a business, to have a name instead of handing out my SIN. I do not want to be licensed, or use an agency.
I take it then from the answers that it's just a business name, and that is all.

Inspired by Reggio
12-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Yes to register your business name is easy can be done entirely online and costs or at least when I did it last cost $60 for a 5 year registration period ... you have to renew it every 5 years than.

If you want to 'search' to make sure no one else has your name before you that costs more ~ but honestly I did not pay to do that if you do a google search for Tender Loving Daycare for exmaple there are 100's of them across the world ~ so I was cheap and just searched my name myself in google, kijiji and daycarebear and there was nothing coming up in my province or anyway at that time and that was good enough for me ... it is not like I am a big company like NIKE or something ;)

angelina
12-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Mine was like $60 as well and never went beyond that.
So far, i got my Insurance Liability for the home daycare and that.

I never got inspected by the Ministry, I wish they do.
But maybe the $60 is to pay for the clerk to make sure that the papers were filed in the right place and that I am registered business in Ontario. And yes, you are right, we give our business numbers, not our personal SIN.

Cares
12-17-2012, 07:34 AM
Thank you all!! I'm going to register .... soon!
We just moved in to our home, I don't have my ECE (I am/was a social service worker though...maybe that'll help?), and only have a living room to work with really cuz the basement isn't finished. There's toys down there, but it doesn't look anything great at all. I'm so nervous to advertise, I feel like I'm missing stuff that other's have.