PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound too harsh?

Bookworm
12-04-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm in the midst of writing a letter to a dcfamily to let them know of a fee increase for next year, as well as giving them an updated version of my handbook and contract. It was in my previous handbook that every year i will be giving this to them so it shouldn't come as a surprise (the handbook, not the fee increase).

Anyways, in my letter about returning the contract etc... I wrote the following:

The signed portion of the Handbook and the Contract are due back to me by December 21, 2012 at the very latest. Failure to return the signed portion and the contract will be viewed as your notice of termination, although normal procedure is still required as well.

I dont want them to terminate, but want to get across that I seriously need them to read it and give the forms back.
Is this too harsh? Can I word it in a better way??
Any input is appreciated.

Inspired by Reggio
12-04-2012, 01:46 PM
I say something very similar to be honest ~ the expected date for it to be returned and that failure to return it BEFORE that date will be viewed as intent for the clients desire not to renew the contract *instead of termination cause it sounds so negative* and that I will therefore begin to advertize to fill the space for January 7th 2013. Please note that if you are not intending to renew the contract for care that written letter of withdrawal is still required in order to apply your security deposit to the last two weeks of care.

Bookworm
12-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks Reggio, I thought termination sounded too harsh, but couldn't think of a different way to word it.

jazmic
12-04-2012, 02:02 PM
I'd actually be very curious to know how people generally approach fee increases and updated handbooks. This is my first year and the anniversary date is coming up next month. I'd like to increase my fees by $1/day, but I'm not sure how to bring up the subject.

Crayola kiddies
12-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Mine said " please sign and date all pages of the the handbook and contract and return by xxxxxx. Contracts and handbooks not returned by xxxx will signify that care is no longer required. "

I gave two weeks as my deadline.

monkeymama
12-04-2012, 08:16 PM
I am hoping to increase fees after the new year...has anyone had a daycare family choose not to renew because of that? I secretly fear this :S

Inspired by Reggio
12-04-2012, 08:34 PM
I am hoping to increase fees after the new year...has anyone had a daycare family choose not to renew because of that? I secretly fear this :S

Nope - I've raised fees alternating years in some manner or other and never lost anyone - and to be honest if I DID than I would look at that as a blessing cause they obviously did not value the service they were getting so let em move on and make room for someone who does ;)

Monday 2 Friday Mama
12-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Try not to be fearful. =) One dollar a day translates to 20 dollars more a month for your families - a very modest increase. If it makes you feel more confident, you can prepare a list of reasons why you need to increase your costs. I increased my rates by 25 dollars a week the first year I was in business. What I did was as clients moved on (children aged out of my care, children went to liscenced daycare centres) I implemented my new rates with my new clients. There was one family who I had to notify them of a price change once their anniversary date rolled around. I explained to the increase to the family: I had paid my taxes so I had a better idea of what my actual rates needed to be in order to run a profitable business, I pointed out that the cost of food had increased significantly and I wanted to provide the children with a healthy diet while they are in my care, and they already had seen over the last year all the crafts/activities/new toys that make up my program. All these things are essential to providing a quality childcare experience, but they do require cash to implement. Reggio had a post not too long ago where she provided some hard numbers about what it costs to care for children and run a good program. Take a look at it, and have those numbers in your mind - if the parents question your rate increase, you'll be able to explain your decision in a strong, business-like fashion. Good luck !

angelina
12-18-2012, 07:55 PM

Nope. The fee increase for me is when negotiating for renewal which happens around summer. My contract runs on school year, not calendar year, so it is Sept 1, 2012 to June 30, 2013. My parents and I normally chat towards the end of summer, some Friday I invite them to a pizza night with the kids. Around the line, we discuss our kids milestones, and probably plans for next year. And of course the contract renewal comes up. I maybe lucky, but I increase mine from $35 to $40 a day without a problem. I told her around $38 is acceptable for me, and the next day, she emailed me that she like our discussions about our kids developmental milestones and how we have worked nicely well throughout the year. She offered me $40 a day to my hearts content.

The b/a was bargain who wants to pay only when her child comes here, not per contract she signed. oh well, you will pay me. end of story.

good luck and yes, the termination is a bit harsh, can't think of a milder word either.