PDA

View Full Version : Finding time for circle time

sunnydays
12-05-2012, 12:48 PM
While I do all of the elements of a circle time spread out throughout the day or week, I rarely seem to find the right time to have an actual circle time. We read tons of stories, sing lots of songs, do puppet shows, and felt board stories and activities (thank you Playfelt!), but I never seem to find the time to sit down and have a consistent actual circle time. For me, having lots of outside time is really important as well as time for creative art and then I also really feel the kids need lots of time for free-play to foster their imaginations and independence. Maybe it's because my schedule is a bit tight due to having to drop off and pick up my son at his bus...I don't know. I just can't seem to fit it in! How do you fit it all in without over-structuring the kids?

crafty
12-05-2012, 01:21 PM
I just fit it in when the kids seem to need it or seemed opened to it. I will try to have it after lunch but sometimes by the time I'm finished clearing the dishes they are into playing together and I do not want to stop what they are doing. So some days we only have a sing along, or a story, a quick chat about a child's vacations, whatever. Today nothing worked lol but usually I just go by ear I don't really 'schedule' but so far the best time has been after lunch or after PM snack.

kidlove
12-05-2012, 01:33 PM
When I have had enough kids all in the age of preschool (at least 3) sometimes 2 works but I have noticed the bigger the crowd there just seems more togetherness and excitement. Only when I have that big of a crowd I will do the routine Pre-school activities such as circle time and scheduled crafts and learning time. Otherwise I just let the day go where it may. But, when I do the circle time it has always fallen nicely about 10-10:30 am each day. By then the kids have all arrived, my own and all school age are off for the day and everyone has a tummy of breakfast and gotten in enough "free-time" and "screen-time" that they will give me their attention for that period of 20 minutes or so. At that time we will go over the days of the week song and discuss what day it is, then the months and discuss the month, then the weather. Then quickly go through flash cards of alpha and numbers....then a quick song/story/discussion about whatever the "topic" for the day will be. Then on to snack, then outside for free play, then lunch. Like clock work it seems every day....but only when I have the right age range. These days things are a ton more laid back to say the least, just starting lose based preschool with a few 2's and 3's, (not quite ready for all out preschool) and have a few babies that take up a lot of the day! :)

Inspired by Reggio
12-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Nothing wrong with breaking it up through out the day ;)

I do a small one daily before nap to wind them down with stories ... and than I do a second one after afternoon snack before we go outside with my circle basket for them to each choose something from so it lasts about 15 minutes on a normal day .... and if there is inclement weather day we will have a nice long one to keep em contained for a bit ... my group loves circle and sometimes they will sit for a good 45 minutes doing stories and puppets and stuff so they basically will go 'home' from circle time on inclement weather days :o

Also when the weather is NICE we have the circle outside under the tree so if the kids do not WANT to participate they can just go play ... actually when the weather is nice 95% of my program is done outside ;)

apples and bananas
12-05-2012, 03:36 PM
I do mine as soon as all the kids get here. My goal is by 9am, then snack, then outside. I agree with you on the free play. They need that free time to learn to socialize, problem solve and imagion!

My circle time is simple... quick welcome song... talk about the weather... what we're going to do today... and a story if we don't have too many ants in our pants. It's just a way to start the day.

Momof4
12-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Sunnydays, I'm doing exactly what you are doing. I start singing or reading a story or pull out the puppets when I have time or when I get a request and if the children sit and participate I keep going with a few more but if they aren't in the mood to pay attention then I let them go play and try again later.

I've never had the kind of kids in care who will sit for 45 minutes. I don't know where you find those kids. But when we go to the library storytime the librarian runs 1/2 hour and she reads a book then sings a song the reads a book and so on and it works pretty well for her now that my two uner 2's are getting a little older so maybe I'll have more success after the new year.

I tend to sing songs and read stories while the children are eating lunch so I have a captive audience, ha!

angelina
12-05-2012, 08:48 PM
our circle time is when we all dance silly and sing our songs. no particular time of day, but mostly happens when they come in and my zumba music is still on.
maybe 30 minutes max, just i can't really replay "pary rock" more than 5 times.

Spixie33
12-05-2012, 08:48 PM
There are days where I do it somewhere between 10am - 11 am or else after nap between 2-3 p.m. I try to fit it in every day.

Usually we do about 20 minutes which includes 2-3 books, approx 3 songs or finger plays, and then a learning activity like flashcards for everyone, a floor puzzle to do as a group or some file folder games.

It really is hard to fit it in some days when we are outside twice and also doing a craft and then doing 2 snacks and lunch, etc. Some days are just so jam packed that I feel like a hamster on a wheel going as fast as I can to get it all in. LOL

It sounds like you are doing all the components of circle time but breaking it up so you have no worries. There is no need to make it completely formal. Just do what works for you and your group :)

playfelt
12-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Sunnydays my schedule is spread out like yours is. Some days it doesn't even happen at all. My lesson plan for the day is to do something related to a letter, to counting, to a shape, to colours, to a concept, to something seasonal everyday. But that could be commenting on the colour of tea cups the girls are using or counting how many cars have been lined up in a row waiting for gas. It is often individual and geared to what the child needs to learn such as a particular colour.

When there seems to be a lull in the activity or it seems to be escalating out of control as in they have lost interest in appropriate play I pull out an activity and ideally everyone comes but no one is forced to come.

My goal is to actually do something with the older kids - anyone able to sit at the small table sometime between 8-9 am when the babies are sitting in their highchairs having snack so it lasts only as long as it takes them to eat a few cheerios and have a drink. Then they go to bed and the older ones colour or have puzzles, etc. When I get back from putting the babies to bed the older ones have snack and then we go down to the playroom till the babies wake up.

If I am able to get lunch over with early enough we do a session just before naptime that has a lot of music and quick activities that also keeps the little ones somewhat entertained too.

Mamma_Mia
12-06-2012, 12:19 PM
ours is 15-20 before lunch time. They clean up the playrooma and get ready for circle time. We sing/dance and a few stories. Then it's upstairs for lunch & naps.

Sometimes at the 5pm mark prox 30min before home time we'll do one again if I find them too roudy or bored.

mommysdaycare
12-06-2012, 12:48 PM
i used to have everything sheduled when i had a big group aged 2-6 now i have 4 months (mine) 1,3,5(in school) therefre no ore svhedules just go with the flow 1 yr old has 2 naps approx 1-2 hours which eats up alot of the day with the cold weather n a 4 month olld its hard to go out and play for long and circle time well ya babies dont care and with onnly oe 3 yr old its not that fun for her we chat all day about dfferent things we play ad sing when we feel like it. almost like a family setting.