PDA

View Full Version : Tons of old magazines; ideas?

Dreamalittledream
12-06-2012, 08:17 AM
I somehow inherit all of the old magazines from my relatives...and the kids love looking through and adding pictures they like to our cut and paste books that we've arranged by color...but any other ideas?

dodge__driver11
12-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Cologes (sp) of cars, places to visit, things we wear maybe?

Dreamalittledream
12-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Oh that's good Dodge, thanks!

playfelt
12-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Cut items out and glue to corrogated cardboard - ie a packing box. If you use podgy it also laminates as in spread a layer of podgy on cardboard, lay picture on top - no glue needed, then brush a layer of podgy over the picture and off the edges. Let dry and put another layer of podgy on. When dry cut them out and give them to the kids to use in play such as adding cars and people to blocks, food items to the kitchen area.

Since a lot of ads are repeated in magazines find identical pictures and mount them onto cards. Have the children use them for matching and sorting.

Ask them to find all of the cards with red on them or sort them by things that go or people or things we eat. Sort the people cards by size ie babies, toddlers, teens, adults, grandparents.

kidlove
12-06-2012, 01:04 PM
another fun thing to do is give each child a pair of kid scissors and a few books, have them cut out anything they want to write a story about, then help them arrange the pictures on a sheet of paper and glue them down. Then have them narrate a story about all the itmes they chose from the magazines, parents love to see their creativity.

when we were kids my mom also cut all sorts of food items from magazines and glued them to cardboard for our play kitchen, we had a BLAST with them, not sure if daycare could handle without wrecking though, I have noticed a room full of other peoples kids can be more destructive than a few of your own, might make for a fun week of play, then into the garbage. :)

Momof4
12-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Buy a little dollarama booklet and let them paste pictures in there for 'themes', veggies, fruits, cars, clothes, etc. and you can teach them sorting and pasting and they can make themselves their very own special book.