PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooling

JennJubie
12-06-2012, 09:11 PM
I have been going over the idea of homeschooling my son. As I've stated in other posts, he has special needs. He does well in small groups, or one on one settings, but poorly in a school setting. He finds it extremely overstimulating with so many other people around. And he loves to help and to teach younger children how to do things. Any thoughts or advice?

playfelt
12-06-2012, 10:54 PM
I forget where you are located but look for a homeschooling group in your area and get connected as a prospective homeschooler. The more you learn from them the more you will know what is best.

I homeschooled our youngest with special needs but her needs were severe in that even now at 19 years old she still functions at the level of my toddlers. But I have set up my felt at homeschool conferences and they are a wonder opportunity to learn and find special resources. Just do a google search for homeschooling in _____(name of province)

treeholm
01-01-2013, 10:47 AM
I homeschooled my two sons, who are now productive, successful adults (23 and 27 years old). It was a wonderful experience. I was very involved with a local homeschooling group, and spoke at many conferences on how to choose curriculum etc. My sons are still very close to their homeschooling friends. They spent one day a week (at high school age) doing art, music, and drama with the group, and we also rented two ice rinks one afternoon a week in the winter to have the group skate (one rink was for hockey and one for skating.) Many of the dads took their lunch breaks during that time slot and played hockey with the kids. It was fabulous, and our children learned to be social with kids of all ages and adults as well. None of this "hanging out only with children your own age" stuff they do in schools. My boys both own their own homes, older one is married, and the younger one is engaged. Sorry to be so long-winded, but I'm a huge advocate for homeschooling. My oldest child, my daughter, was not homeschooled as she was a straight A student who loved school, and it never occurred to me to homeschool. She had no problems whatsoever in school, and is a very successful environmental engineer. I don't think school is necessarily bad, I just think that some children thrive in school, and others do not. My boys are very active and had trouble sitting still and listening in the school setting. With two kids and one Mom, they didn't get away with that in homeschooling LOL