PDA

View Full Version : What kind of paint do you use?

amberley7890
05-14-2011, 05:45 PM
I am just starting out and wondering what kind of paint everyone uses? I know that they use tempera in schools, if you do too, do you like the blocks, powder or liquid? Is it ok to just use acrylic craft paint, that's what I've used with my own kids.

Play and Learn
05-14-2011, 07:10 PM
I currently use Crayola paints - we don't paint too much here! I find that after working in daycare centers, that Crayola is awesome!

When I used to work in the centers, we used Tempera Paint - liquid, and added hand soap to the paint and mixed in around. This helped big time with getting the paint out of clothing.

mamaof4
05-14-2011, 07:39 PM
I also use tempra cakes... kind of like water colors but my kids love them

Spixie33
05-15-2011, 09:56 AM
I use Tempura paints . I make sure that the kids are wearing smocks that cover the arms and front so it usually works with minimal stains.
We paint almost once a week,. I do wish there was Tempura paints in purple, pink, orange and some other colours because iI start to think that all the artwork looks the same.

I do also have Crayola paints but I find their 'washable' ones to really look dull and lifeless on the page. They aren't very vibrant and the finger paints look more like water colours once they are painted

Play and Learn
05-15-2011, 10:31 AM
But there are Tempera Paints in those colours Spixie....You have to go to a store like All About Kids or Scholars Choice to find them. The schools have them - in liquid paints...

playfelt
05-15-2011, 03:01 PM
I have seen tempra blocks in other colours too. Scholars choice used to have 6 pk and a 9 pk that had orange and purple and white in it which then makes the pastels and pink etc when added over the others. Washable paint isn't near as washable as one would like.

Spixie33
05-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Okay thanks playfelt and Play and Learn....I will have to check that out next time I am near a Scholar's Choice. Lately I started mixing my own pinks and purples with Tempura but I always run out of it or have it left over and can't seem to get the quantity right.

amberley7890
05-16-2011, 06:05 AM
Thanks everyone! What is a good price for tempera?

Judy Trickett
05-16-2011, 06:48 AM
I use Tempra paint also. I find that with a little stain remover applied before washing it always comes out.

I saved old T-Shirts from my own kids (who are older than the dckids) to use as smocks. If you save long-sleeved shirt they are even better.

Play and Learn
05-16-2011, 07:07 AM
Like I said in my first post here....

IF you're using Tempera LIQUID paints: put in some hand soap, and mix it together. IT WILL NOT AFFECT THE PAINT. This will help you out for washing the smocks/t-shirts. This will also help out the parents who will want to wash the kids clothes who got that little bit of paint on them.