PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for naptime?

mb0318
05-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Do you use playpens, cribs, beds, mats? and do you put them all in one room, or in different rooms? The play room or a separate room?

agesandstagesdaycare
05-15-2011, 05:30 PM
I have my daycare in the basement and we built a bedroom for use as a naproom. Two playpens are in there on opposite sides of the room. I also have daycare cots which will go in the main daycare room for older children. Hope that helps!

Spixie33
05-15-2011, 06:22 PM
I have three different play yards in 3 separate bedrooms for naptime. each child has bedding and a play yard and a location that is always theirs. I think having their own space and the same bedding every week helps them feel it is their own little place and each child knows which one is theirs when I say 'okay, let's go for naptime" and they all walk upstairs, lay down for their changes and then go to the play yard that they know is theirs and wait for me to lift them up and tuck them in

I have thought of getting a cot to try for at least one child and see how it goes but I am worried that they will just get out and then I will be wasting the money

playfelt
05-15-2011, 06:36 PM
I have the packnplays for little kids and they are in separate bedrooms upstairs. If more than three are needed then two end up in my room but quite a ways apart because of the way the room is laid out. Older kids sleep right now on crib mattresses which I put down in our mainfloor playroom (diningroom) They move to the mattresses around 2 or when they are in a bed at home or too big for the playpen either by weight or climbing out. My mattresses need replacing and I still can't decide between going the mat route or the actual cot route. Leaning towards the cots as I picture kids rolling around the room with the low mats. At least on the crib mattresses I only rarely have a child roll off.

Play and Learn
05-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Currently just have the little guys, and they're in playpens. Once Dcg2 starts potty training, we'll buy her a cot - they have some nice ones at Walmart in the US for $25. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Regalo-My-Cot-Travel-Bed/4433186

My 2 yr old dcg (just turned 2) is currently on our guest bed - no rails! I started her on the bed, as I could no longer lift her into the playpen when I threw my back out. Then she wouldn't go to sleep for her parents in her crib. She's been in a big girl bed since Christmas time!

mom-in-alberta
05-15-2011, 07:07 PM
3 playpens in 3 different rooms. I wish I could double up, and have more than one child in a bedroom, but I have a couple little ones who still cry as they are going down. As it is, they can keep each other up! :(

mb0318
05-15-2011, 09:25 PM
so most of you just make a sleeping area in bedrooms? I'm not sure I'd want to have someone napping in my sons room, mostly because I'm not sure how my son (6 yrs old) would feel about that lol

Judy Trickett
05-16-2011, 06:49 AM
Under 20 months in a playpen

Over 20 months on Kindermats

playfelt
05-16-2011, 07:50 AM
so most of you just make a sleeping area in bedrooms? I'm not sure I'd want to have someone napping in my sons room, mostly because I'm not sure how my son (6 yrs old) would feel about that lol

If your son is at school full time then the child would be in there when he isn't. The joys of a packnplay is that it can be taken down each night. In the summer it could be a different issue if your son uses the room for play. In that case put the child that only takes one nap in there and then there is only a 2 hour period per day child is unable to be in their room. Also remember as they get older they will move to a mat and could be put somewhere else so it is only a temporary thing. My kids grew up with the daycare in place so they never knew it any different. They had "naptime" buckets they packed in the summer that were brought out in the livingroom while the other kids were sleeping - ie stuff they wanted from their room. Yes there battles sometimes if they forgot something but it was also a good lesson in being prepared and thinking ahead and knowing what went with what - barbie doll clothes are only fun if you remember the doll or vice versa.

Katskids
07-27-2011, 02:21 PM

I feel the same!! I have a main floor daycare room. My daughter sleeps upstairs in her crib, but my other 2 little ones sleep in pack and plays at either end of my living room. My 3year old dck sleeps on a yoga mat in the playroom!

mom-in-alberta
07-28-2011, 11:41 AM
I have moved the 2 year old to a single air mattress on the floor. She was crawling out of the playpen, and it was making me nervous. Granted, she would only do it after she was all done naptime and she is a good napper, so it wasn't causing me stress keeping her in there! But she's been in a real bed at home for a while, so I made the switch.

And as for little ones napping in your own kids bedrooms, I think it's just one of the few allowances that have to be made. My 2 boys share a bedroom, so I try not to keep anyone in there for naptime unless all of my P/T kids are here in one day. My daughter is okay with it, and I just had to get used to making sure I didn't need to get anything from our bedroom either, haha! If I do need to use the boys room, I just ask them if they need to get anything out of there before the small ones go down, and they know that there is no access until quiet time is over.

Sandbox Sally
07-28-2011, 12:10 PM
We use our bedrooms too - mine and my 7 yr old son's. One 22 mo sleeps on my bed, and the other sleeps in a kindercot in my son's room, as this is what she is used to. Once the new babies start, they will be in pack n plays.

Regarding my children being bothered about using their rooms for naps, they aren't, but if they were, I wouldn't give a toss! LOL I run a home business, and their rooms are a part of my home. The daycare kids aren't allowed to play in their rooms. They are in there to nap, period. Shaaaaare? ;)

JKECE
09-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Where can I purchase inexpensive rest mats for kindergarten children? (Ottawa/Gatineau area)
I need to buy 31 mats and I have to pay for them myself.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Play and Learn
09-05-2011, 09:42 AM
For the Ottawa region - there is a store for daycares called All About Kids. You might be able to swing a deal with them if you're buying that many!!? It's in the East end of Ottawa.
http://allaboutkids.info/

playfelt
09-05-2011, 08:56 PM
The little girl I sent off to JK last year had to purchase her own mat to leave at daycare. They were directed to All About Kids to get them.

For those that use the mats do you find a difference between the fold up ones and the non fold. I can imagine certain size kids not being comfortable on the fold up ones depending on what body parts fall where and wonder if by the time I fold and store 5 mats if it would save me any space compared to stacking 5 nonfolding ones.