PDA

View Full Version : Heart goes out to those in Connecticut

Inspired by Reggio
12-14-2012, 02:47 PM
http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/gunman-in-connecticut-school-shooting-id-d-27-dead-including-18-children-1.1079337

I just cannot believe this ~ listening to it on the news while waiting for the kids to wake up and wanting to wake them up early to snuggle them all :o

My heart goes out to every family affected by this ~ just will never fathom how anyone can do such a thing!

little rascals
12-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Yes I heard this too. Such a terrible thing esp being so close to christmas. Now, is suppose to be a time of happiness and spending time with family and now these many families have been stripped of this because of a cold, heartless people. This breaks my heart.

mimi
12-14-2012, 09:12 PM
As people who care for children everyday because we chose to, because we love kids, let us all take a moment and remember the little ones and adults who tried to protect them who lost their lives today in the school shooting. My thoughts and prayers are with the families who must now cope with their unthinkable loss.

Momof4
12-14-2012, 09:51 PM
I feel so terrible for the families of the children who were killed of course, but especially I relate to the teachers who tried to keep the children safe. I'm watching the coverage on tv right now and can't even believe that the guy talking about the Columbine shooting was 13 years ago. It doesn't seem that long ago to me. When will the Americans implement gun laws? My Mom spends 5 months a year in Florida and keeps her mouth shut when the Americans start talking about the guns in their nightstands and under the seats in their cars as a normal thing. Wow!

BrightEyes
12-15-2012, 07:12 AM
I cannot believe this. Honestly. How messed up do you have to be to go after poor, young, innocent, defend-less children. I am not one for using "inappropriate language", but right now I am. Seriously, as Momof4 said, when will the Americans implement gun laws?!?!?!?!

kidlove
12-15-2012, 07:25 AM
I am American and I value my right to bear firearms...:) my husband and I are hunters and provide for our family through the use of our weapons. Not to mention the freedom in our countries seem to be slowly dwindling, the freedom to bear arms is a very important one to me and my family, my husband and I have raised our children in full knowledge of gun safety and the effects a pull of the trigger can have. There have been times we have needed our gun for safety and survival. I don't think it is so much the lack of proper gun laws we should focus on in this situation or any situation involving the murder of inoccent people...the focus needs to be more placed on the lack or core values and morals in ALL countries. The lack of Faith. The lack of Value for Life. and the outright lack of understanding and love for one another. That is the true tragidy here, any one can kill a person with anything, a hammer, a knife, a board for pete sake, the fact that a person can have such a screwed up frame of mind is the sadness not the gun laws. As a matter of fact, a vast majority of murders and crimes take place with the offender not using the law properly. Not to mention, a lot of times the offender has NO past criminal history, no past questionable background, there is sometimes no warning for why a person snaps and does such unimaginable things....there is sometimes no warning, no reasoning.
I couldn't imagine the loss of one of my kids, it's my worst nightmare....my thoughts and prayers go out to these families andthe children who had to live through the terror of seeing their friends taken right before their eyes. Words can not explain the pain any Mother feels for the loss of all those affected. Just made me hug my kids even more last night.
Bottom line, our world is becoming a crazier and crazier place every day, it is so important for us to imagine the worst and be open and honest with our kids, talk to your children about emergency situations, tell them what they should do and where they should go if anything ever happens like that. It is a matter of life or death for them...this world is not all bows and ribbons there are bad people everywhere even in our little towns. The better prepared we are to handle the bad stuff the better off we'll be. Although I don't agree with a gun in the nightstand or even on a shelf, I completely agree with home defense and the personal right to protect our loved ones, I am proud to be a gun owner and glad to know that if I had to I could use mine to save my family. I am even more proud to be a moral and Faithful woman who values life and the meaning of love. That is what the problem is ultimately, not the lack in laws. ;)

Momof4
12-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Thank you for giving us your point of view Kidlove, I appreciate your honesty and explaining how you feel as an American citizen.

mimi
12-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Yes, when will responsible gun laws come to pass in the U.S.A.? The gun groups such as the N.R.A. have only commented to say they won't comment until all info is available. Cowards. Since children have been murdered, I will be less polite and politically correct and state that any country that allows its citizens to legally own an assault rifle should have their heads examined.

If you are a hunter, I assume part of the challenge is to fire that "single" shot to down the animal. So what are you exactly up to or what do you expect to happen that requires you to think you need an automatic weapon?

Solidad O'Brien took a brave stance as a reporter this morning (and I paraphrase) that here again she is at the sight of a mass shooting reporting on the devestation. She stated again, there is talk of changing the gun laws after each mass shooting occurence (remember when everyone thought something would change after Columbine?). She said she is tired of this becoming a constant pattern when there's a shooting, talk of gun control and then life goes on and it's not really brought up again until the next time.......and there will always be a next time.

As a Canadian I am grateful we have gun laws in place and I would like to see still a tougher stance.

Persons might say that the gun is not the problem but the person who is in possession of it. Well, since someone, for what ever reason, decided to murder the innocent is a good idea, wouldn't it be in the best interest for everyone for him/her not to have a selection to chose from in their own home? Yes, they could pick another weapon, but something tells me automatic rounds fired in such quick succession give them the most results in the least amount of time.

Finally, I know this is a forum about daycare and perhaps not the first place this discussion should be held, but in my original post I only mentioned the loss and grief for these children and teachers. It was other posters who expressed their gun control opinions that made me decide to express mine.

mamaof4
12-15-2012, 07:50 PM
I am an American and a mom. I was raised with firearms and was taught from a very early age to respect them and handle them safely. However. I believe an individual's right to own a handgun is less important than a child's right to grow up.

Hunting is one thing- but a round of buckshot is not going to do the same damage that an assault rifle will.

Here is the thing in 75% of shooting sprees like this the guns are obtained legally. I think at minimum there needs to be tough background checks for prospective owners.

http://www.washingtonpost.c om/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/14/nine-facts-about-guns-and-mass-shootings-in-the-united-states/
Gun control does not equal gun ban.

As far as faith goes. Faith does not equate morality. Morality cannot and should not be legislated.

My faith is not yours and yours is not mine. Some of the most moral people I have ever had the pleasure to know are atheist.

Momof4
12-15-2012, 09:50 PM
My Dad was a hunter of rabbits, foxes and pheasants when I was a young girl too. My parents have a large farm and there was no shooting going on anywhere near people. But the Canadian government implemented a plan many years ago to get hunters and most citizens to turn in their guns of all kinds, long story and I don't have a link to explain it sorry, but my Dad turned his rifles in at that time.

Your post really hit home with me mamaof4 and I really don't think people who go on shooting sprees have any faith in a higher power. They are extremely troubled and sick people who have lost their way, but unfortunately they own guns.

kidlove
12-16-2012, 08:18 AM
nothing to say that wont further the unnecesary depth of this post, I only wanted to point that it's not the gun that kills it's the person, and as far as I know ANY automatic assault weapon IS illegal to own period. Didn't go into detail on the all the info of this particualar sit in Conn. when i first heard the story, only hand guns were involved, perhaps the use of the auto was involved, bottom line...if this particular person was of right mind and body this would have never happened, he lost his value of human nature for sure, I guess Faithful or aithiast, the bottom line is...this guy was screwed up and his choices will forever effect the world because of it! I will speak up when I feel nes and when I first read the few responses regarding the "gun laws" I felt compelled to share my point of view, and gun owner or not, my point of view is simply, "it's not the weapon that is the problem, it's the offender, the person who has a brain and chose to use it in such a screwed up way" although I don't agree with aitheism (sp :() I do value ALL humans, and their right to live on this Earth as me, and their right to choose how they will believe while on this Earth, whether or not it's right in my eyes or not is not the subject, as I have freedom to believe as I do, I respect and value any other freedom to believe, the ever after may be dif in my religion but the point I wanted to make is that IF a person has no value for human life they will do horrible things like this lost boy chose to do, no reasoning, no care. Just complete and utter selfish and unreasonable actions. My prayers go out to ALL those effected this time of year no less, this is a season to celebrate the Birth of Christ and the value of life the meaning of giving and love for one another and this boy took ALL that away. I only pray these families can see the Glory of the Holidays to come and not have them marked by there pain and loss. I can't imagine the pain and confusion they must be feeling.

kidlove
12-16-2012, 08:29 AM
I do agree with everyones point of view on the fact that Guns are too easily accessable, I think if all potential gun owners had to go through training with each purchase and a serious testing of mental patterns and such their would be LESS incapable gun owners out there, agree completely, it amazes me at how quickly a person can purchase a fire arm. I do agree with that view completely, just feel there are so many things that are under governmental control already, and we supposedly live in such a free country, but we are so controled and watched in so many other areas, seems sometimes the right to bear arms is one of the few original freedoms we still hold. We barely have the right to free speech and have almost diminished our right to open religion.
There is just such a decline in morality, and love for one another these days, that is the ultimate offense IMO. :)

kidlove
12-16-2012, 08:35 AM
if I can ask one thing of all my friends here on this post, whether you have the same God as me or not...could you all please take a few minutes today and pray or well wish these affected families that are trying to find answer in such a hard time. I can't imagine their suffering and my heart breaks every time I turn on the TV or think about this crazy situation. How unfair to have this happen, I pray for the peace these families need...there is never understanding in a situation like this, but I pray these families find peace in the midst of all the pain.

mimi
12-16-2012, 03:25 PM
My 3 dck's got extra long hugs from their parents at pick up today. :crying: I keep thinking about Eric Clapton's song Tears in Heaven. Rest in peace little lovely ones.