PDA

View Full Version : I just got a phone call that made me laugh

BlueRose
12-17-2012, 01:00 PM
My quiet time has been anything but quiet. My phone just won't stop ringing. And I don\t know how to turn the ringer off. The last call I got :
Lady: " Hello is this a preschool"
me: "no it's Valerie's Home Daycare
Lady: So your a home daycare, I was looking at your website and thought you were a preschool sorry."

Really don't people read. My very first page says Valerie's HOME Daycare. HOME daycare is part of my web address.

I just couldn't help myself, I just had to laugh at this. That phone call ended up waking the kids.

playfelt
12-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Which also brings up the discussion about what parents think they want as in she wanted everything you were offering on your website but thought she had to go to a preschool/centre to get it.

Inspired by Reggio
12-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Which also brings up the discussion about what parents think they want as in she wanted everything you were offering on your website but thought she had to go to a preschool/centre to get it.

Exactly ~ to be honest I would have answered that with an 'YES in a manner of speaking ~ I am a home based program that offers everything you would get in a preschool but with smaller ratios and lower fees. How can I help you?'

BTW I hear ya on the phone at quiet time ~ I admit that some days I just take mine off the hook if anyone who KNOWS ME wants to reach me they will call me on my cell which is on vibrate!

Momof4
12-17-2012, 04:11 PM
I take my telephone out of the sleeping room for naptime every day and take it to another floor. I'm afraid if I turn the ringer off I'll forget to turn it back on but at least I see it and put it back after naptime.

It always seems to be at the worst time that telemarketers call doesn't it? I have call display and don't answer the phone during the day anyway but I can take a peek to see if it's a daycare parent or somebody close to me and then I will answer it in case it's important.

kidlove
12-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Do yourself a favor and find out how to turn your ringer off. It's pretty crazy these days seems I get MORE solicitation than REAL phone calls. I screen every call, if I don't know the number or it comes up unlisted, I don't answer it, if it's that important they will leave a message and I will call back at a more appropriate time. :)

BlueRose
12-18-2012, 09:30 AM
the lady called from a 343 area code. I am in Ottawa which is a 613 area code. Anyone know where 343 is?

the problem with turning off the ringers is that i have 4 phones. One is always turned off, its very loud. the other 3 are not. I also have family in the hospital and a mother with health problems and is in and out of the hospital and I don't want to miss a emergency phone call. Most people have my cell number, but they always seem to call my home instead if their is an emergency.

sheila s
12-20-2012, 11:20 AM
The thing I hate the most is when people call asking for "babysitting" when clearly all ads state HOME DAY CARE....so I know exactly how you feel.
There is something about being called a babysitter that really gets my back up.A lot of people out there only want the cheapest care for their children, no matter what is on offer,meals,crafts, field trips,etc.Then there is the fact that there are times when people think this job is easy & have no respect...especially for qualifications or expereince.

Inspired by Reggio
12-20-2012, 03:44 PM
LMAO oh do not get me started on terminology in the field .... I hate being called a babysitter as well and the thing that floors me is that no one would call up a Dr and say hey I need some first aid do you provide that cause it would be insulting ~ you need medical treatment which is different cause ANYONE can apply first aid ;)

Plus the thing i find most ironic that if you go by the 'hour' babysitters get paid MORE than a childcare provider does so sometimes I want to say YES I am and I charge X amount for my babysitting services ... cause in reality hourly my fees work out to being $3.40 an hour but most 'evening babysitters' I know get paid $8-10 an hour to babysit so parents can go out for a night of entertainment .... speaks greatly to how society values its 'entertainment' that people are willing to spend $10 an hour on a baby sitter plus $100 for a dinner out and another $50 to get movie tickets and some popcorn for a night of 4 hours entertainment that costs them almost $200 but they cannot 'afford' to pay $34 a day for childcare????