PDA

View Full Version : Sick...just venting

Dreamalittledream
12-19-2012, 08:38 AM
It's during a week like this that I wish for my old 'outside job' days...the ones where I could actually call in sick (without having to major guilt about the 5 families I am potentially causing to scramble during what are already busy mornings), send my own off to grandparents and crawl in bed and actually heal. And not only am I working through my own illness, but the effects of the same virus on my child/family and the entire Home Daycare. On the average day when everything usually runs smoothly...it would be a breeze...but add on tired, sick, grumpy, (yet not fevered, so they're still here) not eating well kids...and combine that with you not at your best= not good. I sent off a email to all parents that today I would be open for those absolutely requiring care only...and it will be a casual 'non-program' day...so, I do have a lighter load (2 of the 5 just kept them home).

On a positive note, 2 more days until Christmas Vacay...I think I am going to sleep for 2 weeks!

Monday 2 Friday Mama
12-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Sending you huge hugs and a hot cup of tea Dream....Your post totally resonated with me. I have this one dcb who's been unusually quiet all week - but no fever or loose stools or anything that I could point to and force the parents to keep their little germ bucket at home. Sigh....so yesterday these parents finally took my advice and brought him to see his doctor. This morning they show up with this kid and his Amoxicillan - he has an ear infection. :mad: Why would a parent think this is okay ? We're two days away from Christmas holidays - instead of keeping your little one at home where he can take his meds and get better, you drop him off here and share the joy. :no: Thanks so much....Sorry to hijack your post - but it really is frustrating when we bend ourselves into pretzels trying not to inconvenience the families that we work for, but they can't be bothered to exercise common sense. :no:

apples and bananas
12-19-2012, 09:22 AM
I think that's a great idea! To email the parents and let them know that you're sick and you are open for those who are desperately in need of care only. Let them know the kids have a free play day. It would encourage some to keep them home without you feeling the guilt of sending them all away.

Knock on wood... I've only been sick enough to close once and it just happened to be a day when I only had one child.

I hope you feel better soon!

Crayola kiddies
12-19-2012, 09:38 AM
I have in my illness policy that children requiring antibiotics are not permitted back to care until 48 hours after the first dose to allow the meds to kick in....

Sending you huge hugs and a hot cup of tea Dream....Your post totally resonated with me. I have this one dcb who's been unusually quiet all week - but no fever or loose stools or anything that I could point to and force the parents to keep their little germ bucket at home. Sigh....so yesterday these parents finally took my advice and brought him to see his doctor. This morning they show up with this kid and his Amoxicillan - he has an ear infection. :mad: Why would a parent think this is okay ? We're two days away from Christmas holidays - instead of keeping your little one at home where he can take his meds and get better, you drop him off here and share the joy. :no: Thanks so much....Sorry to hijack your post - but it really is frustrating when we bend ourselves into pretzels trying not to inconvenience the families that we work for, but they can't be bothered to exercise common sense. :no: