PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here! Question about siblings!

FSD
12-20-2012, 09:32 AM
Hi everyone! I'm opening up my new daycare in January and I already have 4 families signed up ~ very excited about that!! But I have one question regarding siblings. As of right now, like I mentioned, I have 4 children signed and ready to go and I need to know if I can accept the 5th family who have a boy and a girl to join us. Back when my girls were in daycare, our provider told us that siblings counted as one spot, but now I'm hearing different things about that. I checked on some websites and the wording is a bit confusing...speaking of "children from same parentage", etc. I was under the assumption that siblings count as one spot as I find it hard to believe that parents have their children in different daycares, you know what I mean? If you have one in daycare, and then would like to add your new baby to that same daycare, couldn't you or would you have to look for a whole new daycare? I hope this makes sense! :confused:

apples and bananas
12-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Congratulations on being almost full right away! It's what we all dream about. I hope all of your families work out wonderfully.

I believe the rule is 5 children total, plus your own. Nothing about siblings counting as one as far as I've seen or heard. Better to stay on the cautious side with this one.

Serendipity
12-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Siblings counted as one spot? That is the first time I have ever heard that concept.

FSD
12-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks apples and bananas! I'm just wanting to fill this last spot and then I'll be super happy!!

About the one spot for siblings, I came across this wording and I find it hard to understand:

The Day Nurseries Act requires that any premise be licensed that receives more than five children under the age of 10 years, not of common parentage (children who have different parents), for temporary care and guidance.

An individual may provide informal child care to five children or less under the age of 10 years who are not of common parentage (children who have different parents), in addition to his/her own children, without a licence.

Am I the only one that finds this confusing?

BlueRose
12-20-2012, 10:18 AM
siblings are still two different people, so they each take up a spot and pay for each spot.

BlueRose
12-20-2012, 10:29 AM
The Day Nurseries Act requires that any premise be licensed that receives more than five children under the age of 10 years, not of common parentage (children who have different parents), for temporary care and guidance.

An individual may provide informal child care to five children or less under the age of 10 years who are not of common parentage (children who have different parents), in addition to his/her own children, without a licence.

I have two boys of my own, both under the age of 6.
I can have a total of 7 children if:
5 are 5yrs and under, and 2 are between 6yr and 10 year, and 2 are mine.
My son: 3 1/2 yrs (counts as under 5)
my son: 1 yr (counts as under 5)
dck #1: 3yrs (counts as under 5)
dck #2: 20 months (counts as under 5)
dck #3: 9 yrs (counts as over 5 yrs)

so i can have one more dck under 5 years and one more over 5 years.

Different parents as in NOT your children.

I am with two agencies and they had to explain it all to me more then once before I understood.

crafty
12-20-2012, 10:37 AM
I think it means common parentage with the actual daycare provider... no ? Anyway when I started I called the ministry in my area and confirmed ONLY 5 in my house at all times excluding my own. So that meant even with playdates.

Crayola kiddies
12-20-2012, 10:46 AM
5 children total not including your own.

DisneyPrincess
12-20-2012, 12:05 PM
I must agree with FSD... it is confusing :(

Inspired by Reggio
12-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Yes it is worded confusing throughout the whole Day Nursery Act ... this particular is speaking to when a 'license' is required it is meant to be a disclaimer that if someone has 6 bilogical, adopted or other wise 'permanent' custody of children of their OWN residing in a residence than they do not require a license to have that many children ... however anyone ELSE who wants to care for more than 5 children on their premises not of common parentage (aka you do not have custody of the children) would than require a license ... otherwise if you want to provide care to children other than your own in an unregulated setting than you may have no more than 5 DAYCARE CHILDREN plus your own.

An individual may provide informal child care to five children or less under the age of 10 years who are not of common parentage (children who have different parents), in addition to his/her own children, without a licence. Am I the only one that finds this confusing?

Also when defining 'common parentage' another tip for those 'blended families' out there when I was with an agency when I opened I had to count my stepson until he turned 10 years of age when he was here because he was not LEGALLY MINE custody wise ~ my spouse and his ex have shared custody but it does not include ME ~ and this is not considered his primary residence as he spends more time at his mothers .... so if you have blended families and step children double check with your insurance carrier if they count in your daycare or not ;)