PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever cared for child w. the understanding that they're here "just for now" ?

Monday 2 Friday Mama
12-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Happy Christmas Eve y'all ! :woot: I have a question for you ladies. I am speaking with a lady who requires part time care for her son (2 weeks out of every four, full time care for the weeks that he's here - she shares custody with the Dad) While I would prefer to have a full time child in the space, I am considering taking this child on. Is it unprofessional to continue looking for a better fit (a full time client) while caring for this child ? Is it really bad behaviour on my part ? Please don't think I'm a terrible person - I'm really not - and I hate the thought of inconveniencing a family by saying that I'll no longer be their caregiver (I've never done that) However, I really need to fill this space, and a partial income is better than none. I've been trying to fill it for the last six months ! Also, when the momment comes how do I terminate care with this child ? I don't like to borrow trouble, but you just know that as soon as you take on a part time child, a full time dream family will appear; and I know that this child will only be with me for six months at the most because he starts up kindergarten in the fall. Any suggestions for how to handle this properly ? :unsure:

Inspired by Reggio
12-24-2012, 12:16 PM
My advice is always honesty is the best policy - if you prefer full time permanent let the client know that you will take her one but should a full time client come along and want to commit to the space she occupies her option will be to start to pay full time for her wonky spot she is occupying OR forfeit the spot?

This way later you are not dealing with guilt or the concern of bad karma for having taken her business when it suited you and than turfing her for something better ...it is not a personal thing just business in that you are saying I can help you out now however this is my long term business goal and it could take me a month or 6 months to fill that space, someone else could leave in meantime and so forth so you could end up being able to help longer term than expected?

Crayola kiddies
12-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Yes exactly what reggio said !

playfelt
12-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Is it possible to give her a timeline and then advertise accordingly such as accepting the part time now but say ok I will provide care till end of June. Then start advertising and interviewing to fill the space for June. When you have a definite timeline it works best for both parties.

Momof4
12-26-2012, 02:20 PM
I would be honest if I were you. A good reputation is important because sometimes it's a small world and you want all your clients to say good things about you. Of if you decide to wait and see if you can fill their space with a full time client make sure you give the current family lots and lots of notice and explain that you had to make an important business decision for your daycare and your family finances. It's always best to have great relationships with clients even when they are leaving the daycare.