PDA

View Full Version : Communication Journal? (Notebook)

agesandstagesdaycare
05-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Right now I send home an Infant/Toddler Daily Report each day (nap length, what they ate, how much they drank, what activities they enjoyed, & comments).

I decided to do a Communication Journal instead (a notebook they will bring back and forth in the diaper bags). This will save paper and hopefully will mean they will answer my written questions. They will need to initial it daily before returning. I don't like asking questions at pick-up because they are tired from the day and so am I! Also, once more children start I won't be able to discuss things in private (obviously unless we schedule a meeting). I'll still put down what their child's day was like (feeding, nap, etc..) but it will be an opportunity for myself and the parents to jot down questions or info we may not think about at drop-off/pick-up.

Anyone else do the same?? What do you include in your journal? My only concern is that I'll miss the typed form..

thanks in advance!!

Judy Trickett
05-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Nope. Waste...of...time. Most parents do NOT read it. And, most parents ask the same questions at the door that you took all that time writing in the journal.

BTDT...waste...of... time.

gcj
05-18-2011, 07:29 PM
a communication journal is exactly what I do. They bring it back and forth each day. I write down what they child ate, the amount of time they slept, anything unusual (good or bad) that occured, as well as any cute or funny things. I just write down what I would want to know if it was my child each day. In general it's mostly food and sleep.
The parents do read it and do appreciate it. sometimes we repeat what's in it at the door, but we don't always have to opportunity, so just in case it's all there!
It's simple and effective!

Play and Learn
05-18-2011, 07:43 PM
I find from working in centers that the daily logs are all that the parent needs. The only kid that will ever get a journal is the child who is trouble (ie: special needs).

The Journals like Judy said are a waste of time, and the parents will forget it too many times....

gcj
05-18-2011, 08:28 PM
so, what exactly is a daily log?

sunnydays
05-18-2011, 08:48 PM
I use a daily email communication instead. I do one group email to all parents telling a little about our day (I do not include nap lengths, how much kids ate, etc.). Antyhing personal that needs to be communicated is either sent in a separate email or told to parents at the door. I find the parents really appreciate the daily email and love knowing what their kids are doing all day. It helps them feel connected, epecially when the kids are too young to tell them about it themselves. I don't find times of naps, amounts eaten, etc to be especially important unless there is something unusual such as an extra long nap or a child who normally eats well and does not...then I usually tell them at the door.

sunnydays
05-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Oh, by the way, the parents already get a weekly menu from me, so they know what the kids are eating.

mamaof4
05-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Hmm I think that it is a good idea- that way if the parents come back and say "you didn't tell me abc" and you can point and say "yes it is here on xyz"

gcj
05-18-2011, 09:28 PM
I checked out daily logs. Basically that's what my journal is, but without having to print out all those papers. short. simple. to the point. all in a small memo pad. works for me

mlc1982
05-19-2011, 12:07 AM
I started with a journal/notebook type of thing for my first two parents. That lasted a whole month maybe and I decided it was a waste of time. Anything that I put in there was normally discussed at the door anyways and when I asked questions, the parents didn't write back but instead just told me the next day at drop off or pick up. It seemed like extra work that I didn't need.
I've put a white board up at my front door and I will write what we eat on a daily basis there. I will also write if I need supplies from anybody and also days off. If there is anything else the parents want to know that day, they ask and if there is anything further for me to tell the parents, I tell them by mouth.

Play and Learn
05-19-2011, 06:55 AM
With my daily log, it's lots of circling things, and point form things. Very easy (gotta love having a husband for a teacher who can print things off for me)!

zen39
05-19-2011, 11:46 AM
I've always done a communication journal. I don't write about what they ate (I have a menu posted for that); or bowel movements. Instead I use it to write down cute things they did or said that day, or a particular activity they enjoyed, something new they experienced.

My parents absolutely love these journals and some have said that they'll be placed in their childs keepsake box for the future.

These journals are a great idea not only for memento sake but also to allow a parent a glimpse into the day of their child while they are away from them.

I don't write anything lengthy, a small paragraph is needed. I've always jotted things down into a notebook about my own children...i.e. funny things they said and years later when I've forgotten them, I can now go back and read about it and remember those times.

In my opinion, these journals are a keepsake, not a waste of time.

gcj
05-19-2011, 12:14 PM
I have to use it. I'm too distracted at pick-up time to be able to remember what I want to tell them!

busybee
05-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Ha not a chance no time for them lol.I am lucky to have time for my weekly book work and reciepts. I communicate verbally at pu and if i or the parent thinks of anything after the fact i encourage them to phone or email or simply ask the next day . Most my parents will ask what was for lunch how did they eat and did they nap.I answer all this and let them know if there was any problems or mishaps with their darling that day :)

agesandstagesdaycare
05-19-2011, 12:48 PM
I agree with most - well worth it. I have a parent board with weekly meals and notices as well. I have two 1 yr olds so I give the daily journal (a sheet a day) as a way for them to know how their baby is doing in regards to diaper changes, nap, food, and what they enjoyed playing with. I give it out because it's what I would expect as a mom and what I'm used to doing as a daycare director and ECE in the past.

I don't like the amount of paper it uses though so I'll get memo books and try that. Thanks. :)

playfelt
05-19-2011, 09:19 PM
I have done journals, daily reports of various kinds from multiple choice type boxes to short answer - yes it felt like a test sometimes because over the years I had more disagreements with parents over something that was written than anything else. Parents concerned that they told me child's naptime was 9 am but I wrote down 9:15 (had been changing another child's poopy diaper which seemed more important at the time) or put them down at 8:30 cause they were whining and rubbing their eyes. I know the parents want to know how their child's day went but the first thing they need to realize that their only child is part of a group now and their morning routine is different now and they need to "trust" me to know what I am doing.

lilac
05-21-2011, 09:59 PM
If the parents want one, I do one. My very first family had 2 year old twins, and I did the journal every day. I realized quickly that they never read it. I had noted and highlighted 2 days in a row that I needed more diapers, and found myself on the 3rd day having to drag the kids up to the store b/c mom and dad never read the notes and didnt bring me more diapers.... so I quit the journal with them. However, with the 1 year old I look after now, its working great, the parents always look at it and I write stuff down that I know I'll forget at pick up time.

daycare woman
05-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Play and learn that sounds like a fabulous form if all you have to do is circle! Maybe I'll design one for myself. I do communication books, but in an interview I say the books are daily for 2-3 months then its weekly after that because it just becomes repetitive and then they don't actually look at it at that point it seems. But even using a circle sheet like peed in the toilet 3 times today , I would circle 3. Oh I think I like it! My fridays are my writing in my journal days at quiet time it takes 1 hr to 1 1/2 sometimes. I try and write all week so I don't have to start thinking, cause that takes a very long time, I can't remember what I did yesterday let alone monday. I just buy cute little notebooks with fun colours on the front of it from the dollar store they work great and they go back and forth in their back packs.
If I need stuff the next day I take a sticky note and put it on my door as well as writing it in the book. I love sticky's!

Tot-Time
05-23-2011, 05:30 PM
I have mixed feelings as to whether the journals/logs are worth it the amount of time they take. I have 3 families who faithfully read the journal each and every day, only 1 responds to my questions, and I have 2 families who are totally out of the loop and when they miss something I will say 'it was in the journal' they will admit they never read it.

I admit handwritting is too slow and I love saving a tree when I can. So everything is electronic for me. Individual information is emailed to the appropriate family, but one main journal is put on my website for all to view.

In my journal I put what we ate (I don't give menus) how everyone ate, poorly, well, really well or ate seconds, I may note if a child ate more or less than normal. I put how everyone slept and how long. For infants it will include bottles and #of BM's if the parent asks. I include a brief description of our day, anything cute the kiddies did, sometimes what we are learning, daily pictures, proud caregiver moments, any notes that I need everyone to know, if I have updated the calendar etc. It will also include any generalized questions that i would like to ask all the families such as when families plan on taking summer holidays.

Play and Learn
05-23-2011, 06:57 PM
I had one family that didn't read my daily logs (as I found them all still in the bag) and they don't have email either. Thank god that family is done on Thurs!!!!

One family absolutely loves them (also helps that mom was an ECE and is now a teacher. They brought me a duotang to put them in, and they told me they want to keep them, as his older sister didn't have them from her old daycare.

playfelt
05-23-2011, 08:01 PM
in an interview I say the books are daily for 2-3 months then its weekly after that

I love the idea of phasing it out and letting the parents know right up front. Most kids I start are a year old so eating, sleeping, BM are important to the parent because it reflects the night before and what the night coming up might be like. It also gives us a chance to see patterns and make adjustments. Once the child is eating mostly table foods as in what everyone else is eating, given up the morning nap and beginning to participate in our activities then I usuall stop the books. It pretty much coincides with the parent not bringing a bag every day with infant foods and bottles - as in a place for me to put the book. At that point I fill it out and put it in their bin and it is up to the parent to take it home and bring it back. If they don't bring it back then I don't write out a piece of paper just skip the day so it becomes hit and miss after awhile anyways. Usually the parent then phases it out themselves. I do talk to each parent at the door and note what is imiportant to them such as the 3 year old I still need to report on BM and consistency for but it is verbal not written. My journal was a spiral notebook from the dollar store. For this coming year I am considering doing a weekly report which would outline what we did each day as in what toy I introduced, maybe words to a song we did or poem etc. But doing it after the fact so they have the info for the weekend and then a section at the bottom where I can note a child's reaction to the day - so more of a developmental page such as child recognized 5 of 8 colours today. The menu will be posted at the door as in I fill it in as we eat it so when they pick up they can note what was offered from each food group and behaviour, demeanor and diaper/feeding issues are all done verbally. I don't like putting behaviour in writing because it is bad enough for a parent to hear it at the door they really dont' want to have to read it at night and no matter how we try not to our frustration is bound to creep into how we word things, our type of handwriting etc.

little rascals
12-10-2011, 01:02 AM
I do a journal for children under two. Once they turn two no longer need it. I find it is helpful for the parents to know what they did and ate throughout the day. I find the meal description important bc if a rash or something appears than it may be a food allergy, especially at young ages. At these young ages the kids cant explain to parents what they did or ate. Once they are talking and being more independent i get rid of the journal. Its also easier to recall things when the parents start asking questions lol. Sometimes the days are soo hectic that you cant remember it all.

Dreamalittledream
02-10-2012, 09:01 AM
I too use this. Simple dollar store notebooks (the ones with the pockets in them...handy on payday, and to put crafts in). They each bring little backpacks each day and the books travel back and forth in that. I e-mail (saves me $ by e-mailing it) a monthly calendar to them (activities/meals/holidays all on it). I don't write in the logs everyday but most days (anything out of the ordinary, trying new foods, sleep patterns, milestone etc.). It's a wonderful tool, parents tell me as well out of the ordinary things (child was up early etc.). Sometimes Dad or Aunt drops off, different parent picks up...a great way to keep everyone on the same page. Yes, a lot of the same is communicated at pick up orally, but it can get crazy when everyone comes at once...at least I have peace of mind in case I forget anything that it's written as well and I don't have to wonder if I remembered to ask for diapers or wipes, for example. Hope that helps.

Daycare123
02-10-2012, 11:16 AM
I use communication journal - parents use it daily! It works great!