PDA

View Full Version : Drop in care/back up

mamaof4
01-04-2013, 10:29 AM
are you anyone's back up? how do you find your back up? would you be open to drop in care? How does all of that work?

playfelt
01-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Because of the restrictions for the number of kids in care at any one time I can't offer back up or drop in care unless I have a space I haven't filled. I have done back up in summers for caregivers on vacation because I had some of my daycare kids also on vacation. They paid the basic daily/weekly rate when here.

I make it clear at interviews that it is up to the parents to find their own back up, be prepared to take a day off work, find a relative, etc.

For longer things like a vacation I do have a small circle of caregivers I trust that I would be able to call to see if they had spaces open and then be willing to share with my parents as an option.

Momof4
01-04-2013, 12:07 PM
None of the above! I let parents know far in advance when I am closed and if they are not able to book the day off it is their responsibility to find alternate care for their child. As Playfelt stated, I am full so can't be anybody's backup.

If you kept a space empty at all times and allow dropin care then that's your choice but you're losing out on income to do somebody a favour once in a while. It's up to you and what's best for your family.

Inspired by Reggio
01-04-2013, 02:12 PM
If I am here and working my goal is to be 'full' whenever possible so I cannot offer back up care to others as typically I am always full ... I have as Playfelt mentioned offered it when I have a space for some reason but only to PAST clients whose children know me and the program and I know they will easily 'adjust' to being here.

I have had my spouse or mom cover for me for 'short term' appointment rather than closing in the past however I would not want to have someone 'outside my home' offering back up care cause well I am not sure how the liability works on that if I referred my clients to someone elses home when I was closed and something happened am I liable for that 'referral' so to speak ~ I have lots of people I know and trust but have never even considered doing it cause it is just not worth my 'business' to offer that kind of service ... same reason why I would not want 'employees' either cause just too much stress or responsibility as a business owner... clients can find their OWN back up arrangements when I have to close and I do my best to give them as much notice as possible to do that.