PDA

View Full Version : Help going crazy

Vtorrance
01-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Hi everyone this is my first time posting. I have been reading through tons of posts for the past 2 weeks. I am starting in feb and have 3 kids potentially still need to interview them. I am trying to get all my paper work together. What do I need? If anyone has examples that would be great so I can see how you word certain policies etc.

Dreamalittledream
01-07-2013, 05:41 AM
This site was a great help to me starting out...be sure to click on the 'Forms' section (free printable forms).
http://www.thedaycarelady.c om/

Inspired by Reggio
01-07-2013, 06:51 AM
Congratulations on your new endeavor.

Things to consider having depending on how formal you want to be ...

A Service Contract outlying financial commitments to each other
Either contained within the contract or as a separate Handbook clear outlying your philosophy or practice you will each follow around toilet training, meals nutrition, quiet time, outdoor time, conflict resolution, behavior and guidance of children etc. to reduce conflict later if they do it different than how you can.
Emergency Medical Form ~ contact information for each parent at home and work and cellphones, health card info for child, Dr and Dentist contact info, emergency people child can be released to if parents cannot be reached including consent to send them in an ambulance, immunization records, any medications regular taken or allergies
Consent Forms for first aid topical ointments if you use them ~ aka polysporin, after bite, etc, consent for field trips outings of site and will you walk, bus, or drive in your vehicle, digital photo use of the child and so forth

Momof4
01-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Congratulations on your new business. If you've been reading through lots of threads you've probably found a wealth of info as we chat and share here. I have shared my contract in the past but only after somebody has made their own then I'm happy to help in case there are any little extra pointers they could spot in my policies.

My best advice is to keep it simple and straightforward. I think parents will remember the rules if they are easy to understand and if there aren't too many words used to confuse them.

Vtorrance
01-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Thanks everyone. Sorry for the delay I'm sure you all know how it is trying to get organized to start up with 2 of your own children. I love that website. I really enjoy reading your suggestions. I have a couple of questions again lol.
1. If you have kids that leave for the summer and then return in the fall do you charge them to hold the spot? And if so how much?
2. My play room is in the unfinished basement. I have foam mats covering the floor and took someone else's suggestion about using sheets to cover the insulation. This is temp until I can save to finish the basement. My question is how do you keep it warm?

BlueRose
01-17-2013, 06:04 AM
That depends, if you want the spot filled over the summer then yes, charge a holding fee
or
if you are like me and don't want your before and after school kids here over the summer then at the end of the school year there contract is over. They have to resign with a new deposit for me to keep their spot for them.

As for keeping the basement warm, sorry I can't help you.

sunnydays
01-17-2013, 06:16 AM
I don't hold spots over summer without full payment, but I know many others charge a holding fee or something like that.
As for the basement, are their heating vents down there? I have a basement daycare (it is fully finished) and we are never cold, except for the floors...so we all wear slippers and we are fine.

Inspired by Reggio
01-17-2013, 06:42 AM
I do not hold a spot for clients over the summer ~ you want your spot to be there for you you pay for it ... now if I had someone lined up to need summer only care THAN I might give a client who does not 'need' care a break over the summer but their contract would clearly state if the 'back up client backs out they would be responsible to pick up the fee again to continue to hold their spot'. I do the same thing with people sharing a wonky school schedule if I can find TWO who can do it but they both get told if the other changes the arrangement mid year that they would have to pay for the full spot their are occupying until I could find a replacement!

As for the basement warmth ... my first few years I had a space heater that had forced air to circulate and keep the floor warm but this past summer we renovated and I had all the walls top to bottom and the floor 'insulated' and now it is much better cause prior the walls were apparently only done '1'/2 way down and the floor was not done at all ... so now I have only needed the space heater so far when it dropped below -10 outside this year but other than that its been nice down stairs with the new floor and insulated.

Crayola kiddies
01-17-2013, 06:59 AM
I have one family that the parent is a teacher and my deal with her was two days a week in the summer to hold the spot and I am looking forward to the three lighter days (she has two kids in my care) as I have my own kids home from school. Otherwise if they don't want to pay to hold the spot they will have to take their chances that the spot is still there in the fall but if I can fill it I will.

Vtorrance
01-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the great advice. I can't wait to have the money to finish the basement. Hoping I can save quickly.