PDA

View Full Version : Would you keep a dck that doesn't sleep longer than an hour?

fruitloop
01-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Just curious to what others would do in a situation where an 18 month old will not sleep longer that 1 hour max. When the dck wakes up, they are talking, screaming, laughing and kicking and standing up constantly in their playpen. Would you keep this child in care if they don't sleep and are a bit disruptive?

Inspired by Reggio
01-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Hmm ~ never come across this issue so not sure how I would handle it ... been blessed that my crew all sleeps really well OR if they have outgrown their nap they at least rest quietly to respect the others need to nap.

I personally do not care if they sleep or not as long as they REST so I can get a break and so that the others who still need a longer nap can have their needs met.

Is there a place you can put him to minimize the disruption ~ aka so that if he is awake he is not disrupting the sleep of others and than just train him to 'shhh quiet time lay down' and keep laying him back down until he gets that this is the expectation cause that is young to have such a short nap so am wondering if he is waking mid sleep cycle and does not know how to 'self soothe' back to sleep for longer?

playfelt
01-07-2013, 03:33 PM
A lot of kids only need 1 1/2 hours but we like them to have 2 for our sake. I would be putting him down last so that would buy me 15 extra minutes.

If you have options and want to take them then that is one way to go. On the other hand if you need to find a way to make it work for the income then either keep child in his highchair for half an hour after putting others down while you clean up so he goes to bed later and gets up same time as others or get him up when he wakes and put him in his highchair then while you get snack ready, start supper, whatever you need to do just before wakeup time.

My own kids never napped but they were allowed to sleep till normal in the morning and didn't have to get up and go to daycare and were in bed at a descent hour because I wasn't trying to make up for not seeing them all day.

If he arrives as the last one then he is probably getting extra sleep overnight compared to the others so doesn't need a lot of daytime sleep other than to refresh - hence the one hour.

gramma
01-07-2013, 03:37 PM
i have one just the same but we are constantly working on it and mom is totally on board. thanks to all the great advice from other providers on this board I am keeping a consistent schedule. Personally i would never terminate my little non sleeper because i just adore her and yes she is loud and can sometimes wake the kids but she has good days and bad and is slowing learn to self soothe and go back to sleep or amuse herself. it was suggested to me to leave a few toys with her for when she woke up early. if this is your only issue, i say stick with it and invest in some earphones. thats what i did on the really bad days.

Momof4
01-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Fruitloop, are there other issues? Something tells me there probably are other small things happening that are getting on your nerves. To answer your question though, I would put in the time at the child's bedside and keep working on the child to be quiet for his friends, even if it took a month or two.

I've put in that much time getting a child to learn to go to sleep when it's naptime. Once I get them into our routine I don't have much trouble but the first few months when they think they are the boss they are learning that it's my way at daycare and everyone follows the same routine. After all, these children are usually the centre of the universe at home but have to learn that they are one of a group at daycare. Harsh I know, but a necessary thing we all have to learn as children.

I have a child who sleeps 1 1/2 hours a lot of days but the others all sleep 2-2 1/2 hours so he's learning that he has to be quiet until all his friends wake up. I put a book and a cuddle at his feet after he falls asleep so he has something to do when he wakes up. It's working well most days.

BlueRose
01-07-2013, 09:33 PM
i have one kid that will not sleep during quiet time. Drives me nuts. He just happens to be my own 3 1/2 so i put him on my bed and let him watch tv. or he plays on the computer. If it was a dck, on the mat, no ands, ifs, or buts about it.

the 20 month old dcg I have likes to try and cry on and off until she falls asleep. I just keep reminding her that its quiet time so no crying, so far it seems to be working.

apples and bananas
01-08-2013, 06:43 AM
I would keep the child, but he would learn very quickly in my home he's there for 2 hours. I would just leave him in a quiet room so he doesn't bother anyone, he'll eventually get the point.

I had one like this. He would jump and scream and yell after 20 min! I just left him... toughed it out and now he sleeps almost 3 - 3 1/2 hours some days quiet as can be.

fruitloop
01-08-2013, 07:07 AM
Just seeing what the consensus is for deal breakers is all. Thanks for input :)