PDA

View Full Version : Contract length

admin
05-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Hi,

How long are your contracts? Do you work on a yearly basis or do you use something shorter?

:)

gcj
05-20-2011, 12:12 PM
I generally do yearly (end of August to end of June, since that's my year), but when starting out with a new family, it's always 3 months, just to give myself an "out" if I need it!

playfelt
05-20-2011, 04:11 PM
My contract once signed stays in effect as long as the family is in care. There is a clause in there that allows me to make changes and update with notice. I do not raise rates for families already in care. Only in rare circumstances do I impose new rules on old clients. There is something about sticking with me that deserves to be rewarded.

fruitloop
05-24-2011, 02:41 PM
My contract is renewed yearly. I give them out Dec. 1 and I give them 2 weeks to go through it, sign and return. If it's not returned by the dste given then I assume they no longer want care and their spot is open for someone else.

Sunflower
05-24-2011, 03:52 PM
I do one month contracts for the first 6 months. If there are no incidents, I move on to 3 month contracts.Never any longer than that though.

If there are any insidents of any kind I keep doing one month contracts.
So far this has always worked well for me .

sunnydays
05-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Like Playfelt, my contract does not have a time limit. The just have to give one month's notice if they want to take their child out. I do renew it yearly and have reserved the right to raise rates yearly. I have just started, so I don't think I will raise anyone's rates the first year, but may the year after. I think it is fair since the cost of living rises. Agencies raise their rates regularly as well.

playfelt
05-25-2011, 07:17 AM
For those that do short term contracts what kind of security does that give you if the family can walk away constantly with no notice as in just not sign the new contract. How far in advance do you get them to sign for the next month/term?

Tot-Time
05-25-2011, 06:04 PM
My contract has no termination date.

It has taken me 17 yrs of home daycare to get the contract that I like and that works for me. So now I barely make changes and therefore if something does happen, I just make an ammendment. I have only had to make an amendment once in the last few years.

Judy Trickett
05-26-2011, 07:06 AM
My contract is 9 pages long. I leave nothing up for interpretation.

Every contract expires on Dec 31st of each year. I hand out new contracts every November to be returned by a predestined date in December. I do this every year because I also raise my fees every single year. And I make it clear that if you do not return the contract by the preset December return date your spot will be filled. This implies that the contract is not negotiable nor are the fees.

Sunflower
05-26-2011, 12:25 PM
For those that do short term contracts what kind of security does that give you if the family can walk away constantly with no notice as in just not sign the new contract. How far in advance do you get them to sign for the next month/term?

I would rather have a little bit less security than to be stuck in a bad situation with no way out( late pick ups , late payments, etc)
Besides, where I reside ,the parent can walk away and give me zero notice at any time. The only fee they have to pay is what ever is 50$ max or what they had left owing for the length of the contracts as long as it is under 50 $.
But in the even that I want to terminate a contract it is virtually impossible and can take months.

I usually get them to sign the new contract a week before the old one expired.

For example: I recently decided not to renew a 3 month contract as a result of many late payments and other breaches of the contract. When I told the parent I was not renewing she had 2 weeks notice. If that contract had been for 6 moths or a year, I would of had to wait it out !

Tot-Time
05-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Hum, so does the legnth/term of your contract depend on the area you live in and how difficult it is for you (the caregiver) to terminate a contract?

For example, my contract is indefinite and both the parent or I only need 3 weeks to terminate the contract.

I agree that if you are unable to break a contract that even a 3 month contract would be very difficult if things are not going well with the family. It is also a long time to provide childcare for a family if there are payment issues as well. I have a friend who is now on her 10th week of providing childcare with no fees being paid by the parent!

playfelt
05-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Nicole, wouldn`t the fact the parent missed the second payment be them breaching the contract making it null and void from a legal standpoint. The first payment period ok they are considered late but after the second payment passes I would sure be questioning the legality of having to still provide care with basically no contract in effect. I know some places have the strangest rules and so glad we live on this side and not that one.

Spixie33
05-26-2011, 02:36 PM
I have in my contract that I can tminate ms of the contract are not met. Non payment would be cause for termination.

I can't believe that providers would still give care if there is a non payment situation. Wow. wouldn't they just be able to say that they are hereby giving notice and give and end date dependant on whether they have a 1 week or 2 week deposit left with you?

Judy Trickett
05-26-2011, 03:04 PM
I would rather have a little bit less security than to be stuck in a bad situation with no way out( late pick ups , late payments, etc)
Besides, where I reside ,the parent can walk away and give me zero notice at any time. The only fee they have to pay is what ever is 50$ max or what they had left owing for the length of the contracts as long as it is under 50 $.
But in the even that I want to terminate a contract it is virtually impossible and can take months.

I usually get them to sign the new contract a week before the old one expired.

For example: I recently decided not to renew a 3 month contract as a result of many late payments and other breaches of the contract. When I told the parent I was not renewing she had 2 weeks notice. If that contract had been for 6 moths or a year, I would of had to wait it out !

I'm missing something because I don't understand. WHY do you have to keep a client you don't what (for whatever reason) until the end of the contract?? The minute they pay late or pick up late they have breached the contract which makes it null and void if you so chose so you can terminate them.

Besides, it's YOUR business so you can terminate them whenever you want anyway.

Please explain......

Judy Trickett
05-26-2011, 03:05 PM
I have in my contract that I can tminate ms of the contract are not met. Non payment would be cause for termination.

I can't believe that providers would still give care if there is a non payment situation. Wow. wouldn't they just be able to say that they are hereby giving notice and give and end date dependant on whether they have a 1 week or 2 week deposit left with you?

Me too. NO PAY - NO STAY. Period.

I do NOT accept late or non-payment. I do NOT accept tardy pick ups. Honestly, if you don't follow the contract that you signed to a 'T' then I terminate you. End of story.

Judy Trickett
05-26-2011, 03:11 PM
I have a friend who is now on her 10th week of providing childcare with no fees being paid by the parent!

Why isn't she getting paid in ADVANCE for care?? Never work for free or risk working for free. Parents should be paying in advance for care. NO PAY - NO STAY.

ALL my parents pay Monday morning for that week. If you don't bring your payment in you can't leave your child. I NEVER work for free. Many providers also get paid Friday for the NEXT week of care to ensure they never work for free.

WHY is she allowing this to happen to her? Why is she allowing them in day after day???

playfelt
05-26-2011, 03:20 PM
That is the joys of making our own contracts I guess. I have several clauses in mine that allow termination including termination without notice for several offences and have actually had to invoke that clause once so glad it was there. My contract specifically says after daycare fees plus late fees are in arrears it is taken as notice of termination. Also if fees from previous week are not paid in cash by drop off on Monday child doesn`t stay or come back till they are. With the termination clause invoked as of that Friday. Really sad when we have to literally give threats to get paid.

Play and Learn
05-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Like Judy, my manual is about 10 pages long, and is pretty detailed. Most families that have came for an interview didn't have many questions to ask, because most things are in my manual. Working in a daycare center helped me decide what to put in it.

I renew the contract at the end of June as that is when my parents technically end for the 'year' as I take teachers children.

Sunflower
05-27-2011, 07:19 AM
I'm missing something because I don't understand. WHY do you have to keep a client you don't what (for whatever reason) until the end of the contract?? The minute they pay late or pick up late they have breached the contract which makes it null and void if you so chose so you can terminate them.

Besides, it's YOUR business so you can terminate them whenever you want anyway.

Please explain......

I live on the Quebec side and am a subsidized daycare. So in reality I have certain procedures to follow. Even if someone pays late,arrives late at pick up I have to give them notice after notice.. keep written proof that I did everything I could to resolve the issue. Even then, if I choose to terminate them they have every right to go and make a complaint, whcih means an investigation into the issue from my head office. Not to mention the fact that they can call consumer protection over here and take me to court. Maybe they would not win but I don't have time for that kind thing.
So .... one month contracts protect me from being in a being in a very uncomfortable predicament !
Sometimes I miss the days when I was a "private" daycare !!!!

Emilys4Guppies
05-27-2011, 08:38 AM
I live on the Quebec side and am a subsidized daycare. So in reality I have certain procedures to follow. Even if someone pays late,arrives late at pick up I have to give them notice after notice.. keep written proof that I did everything I could to resolve the issue. Even then, if I choose to terminate them they have every right to go and make a complaint, whcih means an investigation into the issue from my head office. Not to mention the fact that they can call consumer protection over here and take me to court. Maybe they would not win but I don't have time for that kind thing.
So .... one month contracts protect me from being in a being in a very uncomfortable predicament !
Sometimes I miss the days when I was a "private" daycare !!!!

I find it hard to believe that they can require you to work without pay or pick up late. Does your contract not state open hours or payment policy? I don't understand how it's permissible for them to BREACH the contract and have no repercussions. I understand you are licensed, and that's how you have subsidy available, but there still has to be protection for you. How many notices until you can take action?

ETA: I hope you don't think I'm second-guessing you here...you know your business certainly better than I do. I'm just floored that you could be so backed into a corner.

Sunflower
05-27-2011, 09:58 AM
I find it hard to believe that they can require you to work without pay or pick up late. Does your contract not state open hours or payment policy? I don't understand how it's permissible for them to BREACH the contract and have no repercussions. I understand you are licensed, and that's how you have subsidy available, but there still has to be protection for you. How many notices until you can take action?

ETA: I hope you don't think I'm second-guessing you here...you know your business certainly better than I do. I'm just floored that you could be so backed into a corner.

No worries lol... I know it sounds unbelievable. I have never had to be in this situation myself but know people who have . I have been told straight from the office that I report to that my only protection is short contracts.
I have read all the legal government documentation and there are no clear procedure as to how many wanings need to be given etc.

It's really up to head office and who they get on the line when they call consumer protection to make a complaint.
Needless to say this scares many of us into putting up with crazy things. Without going into detail I must say I personally do NOT put up with nonsense like non payments.
just wanted to add that some parents DO pay but it is late each time . To me this is also not acceptable.

Sarah
06-03-2011, 03:29 PM
just wanted to add that some parents DO pay but it is late each time . To me this is also not acceptable.

Sunflower forgot to tell you that those parents (not going to say bad things about them here but I'm sure you'll all think bad things about them - just like I do!!!!!) are paying 7$ a day so 35$ a week for daycare. AND THEY FIND THE WAY TO BE LATE FOR PAYMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! :))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))

Junelouise
07-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Hi,

How long are your contracts? Do you work on a yearly basis or do you use something shorter?

:)

I do not have written contracts..verbal only. I ask for and give 2 weeks notice if anyone wants to leave or if I want to turf them out...I have only had to turf 2 families in the 29 years I have been doing daycare. I give my parents 2 weeks vacation free and they do not have to pay when I am on vacation, as they will have to pay someone else if they do not have the same vacation time as me. I only take 1 or 2 weeks vacation every year (none this year yet) so I budget accordingly.

Junelouise
07-01-2011, 11:41 PM
This is exactly why I have never in 29 years signed up for any government or daycare agency. I tried the government once and they had such stringent restrictions it was ridiculous..they wanted me to fence off my pool. Fire inspections, police checks, health department checks, the list went on and on...I decided to stay private all these years.