PDA

View Full Version : Telling potential clients that I am caring for no children right now

Anonymous
01-14-2013, 06:33 PM
I'm just starting out, and I wondering how to tell potential clients if they ask how many other children I'm caring for right now, that I have zero. What kinds of things did you say when you were starting out?

Skysue
01-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Just saying the truth, do you have your own children? It helps if you have them present when your doing your interview so there child will have someone to interact with. Just tell them your work history and any transferable skills geared to working with children.

You have to start somewhere and I think if your realistic with your ratios it will put your potential parents at ease.

BlueRose
01-14-2013, 07:00 PM
I just started last October. I just told the potential clients the truth, I have worked as a nanny years ago and have two boys of my own, so I do have experience with children. I know have 3 out of my 5 spots filled

Momof4
01-14-2013, 08:56 PM
When I was starting out I told people the truth and all about my plans and my experience with my own children including many years of crafting in Guiding/Scouting. I got my CPR/first aid right away but I admit I started with my rates lower and told people that I appreciated that they were taking a chance on a new HDCP but I would be reliable and responsible and loyal and would never let them down. Find your strengths and advertise them. Mine were these plus the fact that my children are grown so I can give all my attention to the daycare children. Yours will be different but figure that out and find your niche.

You don't want to be desperate, but you do have to plan out a daily routine and the kind of daycare your want to run. I had no clue when I started and there will always be a special place in my heart for those people who were my first great clients who stayed with me so I could learn a lot from them and about running a daycare through practical experience.

Pegs
01-14-2013, 09:11 PM
I also told the truth as well....and if they ask for references, just give personal ones. That's what I did and it worked fine! I've just opened this month (started advertising in the fall), and have 4 families signed! It does help if you have your own children.

DisneyPrincess
01-15-2013, 08:55 AM
No shame in saying this is your first experience as a daycare provider... I left accounting to have a home daycare, my experience : I am a mother of two grown girls. If you have no children of your own, you will probably just have a little more to prove kindda. If you have a nice and good personality and you offer a nice-friendly-safe-secure environment for their child, and offer a structured schedule and nutritious meals etc. they should have no problems. Of course if you keep them in the garage with no toys... thats different lol ;)

mlle.coccinelle
01-15-2013, 01:04 PM
I started a little over 6 months ago. The best advice is to always say the truth! It took me a few weeks to find my first client... and thanks goodness to word of mouth, I am almost full now! In my own experience, it was good to not be full right away... you learn ALOT the first few month... ( and I still do btw! ;P ) Like the other ladies said, explane your experience with children and be confident in your skills! :)