PDA

View Full Version : When a Day Care Kid Breaks something

mamaof4
05-21-2011, 07:45 AM
What do you do when a daycare kid breaks something?

Do you expect/ask the parents to replace it? Apologize?

playfelt
05-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Depends what it is, the age of the child, how much I like the family as in our relationship, and the circumstances - accident or deliberate. If the child did it on purpose or it happened after repeatedly being told not to treat a toy a certain way - although they usually only get one warning on this before the toy goes away - then I might. If it is something of mine that was left within reach then it is my fault.

Emilys4Guppies
05-21-2011, 12:20 PM
If it's something that is valuable to me, and was intentionally broken (or broken doing something that is clearly against the rules) then I do ask the parents to split the cost of the item with me. I do expect that some things will get broken with so many children in the house...it's just a part of the game. That is why I don't require they pay for the whole thing, only part.

Of course, I did once have a 6yo in care who willfully smashed a crystal vase I had on the counter because he was upset I would have him do his homework before playing outside. This child had no discipline at home and was a constant pull on my limited time because of all the correcting I had to do with him so he'd behave in MY home even if not in his. It was not the first thing he'd broken, and I had simply absorbed the cost of the other smaller items...but not my crystal vase. It was not hugely expensive, but I luckily still had the box/reciept (I keep stuff like that) so I did have the parents replace the entire item. Needless to say, he was only in my care for 3 months before I gave the family notice to find new care.

Emilys4Guppies
05-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Depends what it is, the age of the child, how much I like the family as in our relationship, and the circumstances - accident or deliberate. If the child did it on purpose or it happened after repeatedly being told not to treat a toy a certain way - although they usually only get one warning on this before the toy goes away - then I might. If it is something of mine that was left within reach then it is my fault.

LOL, this is a better answer and more accurate. It does depend on lots of things...relationshi p with family, deliberate actions, knowing the rules, ect.

Play and Learn
05-21-2011, 07:47 PM
As stated in my manual (which is on another computer...), that if a child breaks one of my toys or something in my home/property (on purpose), the parent is expected to pay for it or buy a new one brand new (NOT used). The child also apparently needs to be taught respect of other peoples items, and parents will receive one strike (3 strikes, then they're termed).

mom-in-alberta
06-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Depends on the circumstances. As a provider, I expect that toys will wear out sooner, and that things will get broken. I have pretty much anything of value put up out of arms reach or in china cabinets for that reason.
I will admit that willful destruction of things is something that makes me see red. Even with my own kids, I go a little nuts over it, haha. If a child breaks something on purpose, as often happens when kids get jealous or just want to act out, they are spoken to once about respecting others belongings. After that, I would likely ask mom/dad to replace the item or it's cost somewhat. This is still MY home, and one of our primary expectations is to respect other people (thier body, feelings and property).